Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I Can't Decide on a Trigger for a 3Gun Build

Romanholiday1969

I would like to add a new trigger on my existing LMT lower. I currently have a RRA 2 stage national match trigger. I like this trigger but I wish the pull weight is a little lighter and reset was a little shorter. I would like to swap this for either a Geisselie SSA-E 2-stage trigger or Geisselie SD 3Gun single stage trigger. One of the matches I'll be doing once a month is in Piru that has a few stages with several targets out to 150 yards to 325 yards. I know the SSA-E will have an advantage over the SD 3G when it comes to these long targets, but how capable is the SD 3G trigger when it comes to 100 yards or longer target distances. Hopefully some of you with plenty of experience with both triggers could chime in.

Thanks.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go single stage. It works just fine at the longer distances we shoot (out to 600+ yards) and is better than single stage for hosing close targets. Look at Hiperfire 24c, Timney drop-in, Chip McCormick drop-in, JP adjustable. AR Gold if you're flush with money.

Well that is certainly a matter of opinion :)

My point was that if he does like it for close range blasting, he can use for everything, it is not hard to use at longer ranges it is just different.

I've got the Timney and the SD 3G. I prefer the SD 3G over the Timney, it's not a two stage but is closer to that then a single stage. You apply pressure to the trigger face and it will move a little bit, very repeatable. Then a small amount of more movement without an increase in pressure the gun goes off. Reset is extremely short. Shooting limited it's been good out to 400 yrds in matches. You can still prep the trigger before breaking the shot. I still want to try the CMC from all the good things I've heard, I just don't have access to one to try like I did the other 2 before I bought them.

Edited by TyinTX

I just made the switch to the hiperfire 24c and I'm not going back to anything else. The flat face with trigger shoe and easily adjustable pull weights is awesome. I have used JP's, SSA-E's and 3g's and Rock River Arms 2 stage a different points. They have been giving them away like candy so pick one up off a prize table next time you see one or pick one up from someone selling one from a prize table, you won't regret it.

JF

See if there is someone at a match that has one for you to try out. Nothing like spending $200+ on a trigger based on what people on the Internet say. Different strokes for different folks. I've bought plenty of stuff that if I had spend 5 minutes looking at or trying first hand would never have bought in the first place

My wife and I both run the Geissele S3G trigger and have had no problems with them. I like it a lot better than the JP that a buddy put in this rifle. That being said I made the mistake of trying an AR Gold after a match and it was awesome. Its probably what I will be moving toward in the future.

I suspect we are getting to a very cool place where there are 5 or so different triggers that are great in different ways for different people.

This is a good thing, competition in the market place is a nice thing. I like JP just fine, but for a while thats all that everyone used.

I've got the SD3G trigger in 3 of my rifles and been very pleased with it. It does take some getting used to when compared to curved trigger sets, but once you practice with it enough, you're good to go (like everything else in this sport.)

I have several SD3G triggers, an AR Gold, and have had Timney triggers. I've also shot JP and CMC triggers. Right now, the AR Gold is my favorite that I've owned or tried. The SD3G is a different animal, it can be fast for paper and in close.

At the club match this weekend, I'm going to see if I can't borrow a demo rifle from Rise Armament to try out their trigger and see if I like it. It looks promising right now.

Along with the ones mentioned, I really like the Wilson Combat single stage TTU. It comes 2nd only to my AR Gold. Close to the Wilson is the JP for me and the CMC is an awesome value option. I haven't tried ELF trigger yet, but video of it looked intriguing.

I've tried the Geissele S3G (not SD3G) and it is not my cup of tea, For the money, I feel JP and CMC are much better options.

Edited by bagdrag

I had a SD3G trigger in my gun for 2 years and I am switching to the Hiperfire 24c. I actually installed it last week and I am having on installed in my new build as well.

When I made the switch it took a couple mags to get used to the difference between the two. The SD3G had a little take up before it would break and I would use this as "setting the trigger" on long range and for getting groups. First time I tried that with the 24c, it just fired, very little take up at all if any.

I would like to add a new trigger on my existing LMT lower. I currently have a RRA 2 stage national match trigger. I like this trigger but I wish the pull weight is a little lighter and reset was a little shorter. I would like to swap this for either a Geisselie SSA-E 2-stage trigger or Geisselie SD 3Gun single stage trigger. One of the matches I'll be doing once a month is in Piru that has a few stages with several targets out to 150 yards to 325 yards. I know the SSA-E will have an advantage over the SD 3G when it comes to these long targets, but how capable is the SD 3G trigger when it comes to 100 yards or longer target distances. Hopefully some of you with plenty of experience with both triggers could chime in.

Thanks.

I asked my "smith" what trigger I should use and he recommended the Jared adjustable. I couldn't be happier with his recommendation. It's List's for around $150 and can be bought for less.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/triggers-parts/triggers/ar-15-ar-custom-trigger-kit-prod1466.aspx?avs|Make_3=AR-15/M4

Like to ask you which Jared trigger 2, 3 or 4 lb did you go with, and how much creep is there to the break. Also did you install the trigger yourself,and if so was there a spring tweak to play with like the Geisselie. The Jared trigger sure does seem like a lot of trigger for the money