Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Beginner, looking for right CZ model

akeefer

Hey all,

I'm new to action shooting, want to try to be able to shoot in the most events possible, whichever will improve my skills the most.

So now I'm considering jumping over to CZ.

What model should I be looking for if that's the case? A production gun would be nice I guess. Any thoughts for a beginner wanting to do it right with CZ??

Thanks,

Aaron

I am in the same boat and saved up for the SP-01 Accu-shadow. I like the way it feels in my hand and I am comfortable with everything about it. I think there might be a change in the politics of my state and so I am waiting for the laws to change and get the proper capacity magazines with it.

It comes down to comfort in the hand and how it handles for me. As soon as I held it and shot it I knew immediately. Everyone and everything I have read told me to be patient and try some out. I am lucky that I have a shop close to home that carries CZ and have a very knowledgeable staff with sport shooting in mind. They are die hard fanboys of 2011 but agrees CZ are pretty awesome.

If you narrow down your criteria than others on here that are more knowledgeable can help. These people know a ton of stuff, way too much for me to absorb.

Good luck with choosing.

Hmmm so it seems the SP-01 is where it's at? How come better than standard 75?

FLDC adds weight that helps tame the wicked 9mm minor recoil ;)

All kidding aside, the weight does make a difference. Faster for some things, slower for others

Hmmm so it seems the SP-01 is where it's at? How come better than standard 75?

FLDC adds weight that helps tame the wicked 9mm minor recoil ;)

All kidding aside, the weight does make a difference. Faster for some things, slower for others

Plus it looks sexier with that FLDC.

Here is my 2 cents. Figure out which events you want to shoot, and what classes/divisions you want to be in. Then make a list of the legal and non-legal guns and parts and compare. When I did it, lots of the pistols I was interested in were not legal in one or the other.

If memory serves, IDPA ESP and USPSA Production gave you the most compatibility and the widest choice of pistols. I bought a very expensive "compromise" pistol (DA/SA) so i could shoot everything with one gun. I didn't like it. I prefer single action for any game or competition.

I sold that pistol and bought a CZ 75 TS in 40 S&W to shoot in USPSA Limited. I have a 1911 for IDPA CDP, and I'm just finishing up a 1911 build for games.

Read the rule books and go to a couple of matches before you make your final decision. You may decide you prefer one type better and you can bias your choice in that direction. BTW, if you live in a 10 round mag state, seriously conside the 40 S&W if you reload. I like it much better than 9mm. Loaded to Minor (140PF) it shoots softer than 9mm. So you can use it for Production or load it to Major for those divisions where it gives you a scoring advantage.

Really tough to beat the SP01 Shadow.

I got the accushadow version of the gun from CZ Custom. I also have a non accu version of the same gun.

Either one works great for USPSA. But if you want to shoot IDPA, you need to stay away from accu model and the target model.

I asked the same question last summer when I was looking at CZs. I was having a hard time deciding between the two so ended up getting one of each. My CZ75 Shadow Custom (no rail) weighs 35.7 oz (no mag). My CZ-75 Shadow Custom weighs 38.0 oz without mag. So there's about 2.3 oz difference in weight and its all in the nose of the gun.

In theory the extra weight helps keep the gun more controllable during recoil but may slow down the transition between targets. I've shot about 9 USPSA and IDPA matches alternating between guns and to be honest I don't notice much difference between the two. If there is any difference in my splits its minimal and I can't really tell if my transitions are slower with the SP-01.

But I like them both. SP-01 is my main Prod gun, the CZ-75 is its backup and also for a few IDPA matches here and there.

I have a 75b that I bought years ago and my son , now 20 grew up shooting it and he shoots it much better than the SP01s I own. I like the SP01 and am thinking of trying the 75 shadow which would split the difference.

Recoil in either is really not a factor between them so how you transition between targets is. I am slower than my son so he likes the lighter gun.

What does the mag well of a 75b look like? My 85b is squared off and real hard to hit on a fast reload. SP-01's all have a bevel at the mag well that looks like it would be easier to hit fast and consistently.

I have an SP-01 coming this week. I'm looking forward to seeing what reloading it is like.

The 75 Shadow from CZ Custom is wonderful when they do there massaging with it. It is so sexyyou will find yourself wanting to buy it a bottle of wine and well you get the picture. I digress

Edited by lstone