Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New STI DVC Open and Limited guns

Quack

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone else had issues with the slide not locking back when empty on these? Not sure if that's intentional or not, but when I use the stock mags the slide lock doesn't engage when the gun runs dry. The slide does stay open but it's because it snags on the follower on closing (which keeps the mag from ejecting without pulling back on the slide first to take off the pressure).

The two Brazos tuned mags that I have that don't lock open the slide don't do this. I'm ordering some Grams followers for the two stock mags that I plan on modifying to not lock open the slide anyways, but it just seemed puzzling that the gun would do this right out of the box.

Did you get yours from Brazos? They modify it for no lock back, at least that's what they told me when I ordered one with some extra tuned mags. They said that the stock mags would have to be modified by me to work correctly for no lock back. I am still waiting for my Brazos gun to come in. In the meantime I got my hands on another DVC from elsewhere, and it locks back.

Hope that helps.

Has anyone else had issues with the slide not locking back when empty on these? Not sure if that's intentional or not, but when I use the stock mags the slide lock doesn't engage when the gun runs dry. The slide does stay open but it's because it snags on the follower on closing (which keeps the mag from ejecting without pulling back on the slide first to take off the pressure).

The two Brazos tuned mags that I have that don't lock open the slide don't do this. I'm ordering some Grams followers for the two stock mags that I plan on modifying to not lock open the slide anyways, but it just seemed puzzling that the gun would do this right out of the box.

Did you get yours from Brazos? They modify it for no lock back, at least that's what they told me when I ordered one with some extra tuned mags. They said that the stock mags would have to be modified by me to work correctly for no lock back. I am still waiting for my Brazos gun to come in. In the meantime I got my hands on another DVC from elsewhere, and it locks back.

Hope that helps.

I did get it from Brazos. That makes sense if that's the case. Just wanted to know if it was intentional or not. Thanks.

Hope that helps.

I did get it from Brazos. That makes sense if that's the case. Just wanted to know if it was intentional or not. Thanks.

You can tell quickly by pulling the slide stop. If it's polished where it engages the follower it's been setup to not lock back.

Mine was setup to not lock by Brazos (they only do this if you request / buy tuned mags from them) and I modified the stock STI followers by shaving the tab that engages the slide stop slightly and angling the top of the follower so the slide doesn't hit the back and smoothly slides across the top. Good for now.

Trigger on my 40 Limited averaged 2 3/4 lbs over several pulls. Anyone know what weight mainsprings they use? Wonder if they found a 2 lb trigger was too onerous to get in a production gun...

I actually just emailed David Cupp at STI about the springs. He said in the .40 DVC the mainspring should be a 15# and the recoil spring a 14#.

Thought I would also provide an update. Got the call from Dawsons on Friday the 12th to let me know that my Limited .40 would ship out only to get a call a few hours later saying that they are sending the pistol back to STI for a problem with the sights. I asked if they could fix it themselves or throw a Dawson sight on it and they said that they had to send it back as it's a warranty issue. I was a little disappointed but at the same time happy that they took the time to look it over before shipping it out for me to discover the problem. Good news is that it was shipped out to me today and I will have it on Thursday.

Response from STI when I inquired about the recoil spring and main spring.

10lb recoil and 15lb main with 3 coils cut off

Interesting.

Lost of guys cut the coils on the 15lb mainsprings. You just need to be careful because a lot of times the only primers this will set off are FEDS.

Cutting the MS coils is a quick way to lighten the trigger: cheers ...

Anyone noticed the slide on the limited is off center in the dust cover? Mine is off to the right a little.

Pictures?

I noticed my other 1911s are like this too but we cant really see it. I guess only the full dust cover and flush with slide are noticeable.

post-26316-0-95103300-1435120808_thumb.j

Edited by Agent #1911

Anyone noticed the slide on the limited is off center in the dust cover? Mine is off to the right a little.

Pictures?

I noticed my other 1911s are like this too but we cant really see it. I guess only the full dust cover and flush with slide are noticeable.

Interesting. My Edge doesn't look like that. Guess I'll have to wait till tomorrow to see if my DVC has this characteristic.

Got my Ltd-9 last week. Have 350 rnds so far. Only 2 FTF was with Remington UMC 115, but they are soft loads. All other 124 grain, had no faults.

My only issue is Trigger is heavier than expected, at 3 lb 12 oz. email sent to STI on Monday, but no response.

Other things noticed: the metal lower gets very warm very quickly. Only pistol I have ever noticed this on. Also point of impact at 10 yds, dropped approximately 2-3 inches as heated up. I still need to see if this recovers or took a new set. Grip is good, but I may need to smooth one small area in back, where web of hand rubs.

Got my Ltd-9 last week. Have 350 rnds so far. Only 2 FTF was with Remington UMC 115, but they are soft loads. All other 124 grain, had no faults.

My only issue is Trigger is heavier than expected, at 3 lb 12 oz. email sent to STI on Monday, but no response.

Other things noticed: the metal lower gets very warm very quickly. Only pistol I have ever noticed this on. Also point of impact at 10 yds, dropped approximately 2-3 inches as heated up. I still need to see if this recovers or took a new set. Grip is good, but I may need to smooth one small area in back, where web of hand rubs.

I had to take off some material from the trigger. It is dragging in the trigger track. Edited by Agent #1911

UPS was early, I have mine in my grubby hands.

Open_gun_002.JPG

Sweet!!! I'm first in line at my dealer. He's not one of the bigger dealers so I' m not sure how much longer it will be. It's good to see they are at least shipping some Open guns.

Response from STI when I inquired about the recoil spring and main spring.

10lb recoil and 15lb main with 3 coils cut off

Interesting.

Lost of guys cut the coils on the 15lb mainsprings. You just need to be careful because a lot of times the only primers this will set off are FEDS.

Cutting the MS coils is a quick way to lighten the trigger: cheers ...

I have fired exactly 200rds of major PF ammo thru the gun using Win SRP, gun has not missed a beat.

I have already made some changes, most of which are not a big deal.

1) Removed the factory thumb doohicky, not even close to being in the right spot, for me any way.

2) Put on a Nitro fin thumb rest/slide stop. I use one on my Limited gun and like it.

3) I removed the STI magwell and put a Dawson big hand on it, again, this is what I have on my Limited gun and like it.

All parts that were put on were out of my spares box, so no big deal.

That said, this is my first Open gun and I don't really care for the stand up mounted Cmore. I ordered a Cheely 90 mount, but can already tell I will have issues with the slide racker.

This is all going to be interesting experiment for me.

Pictures?
Interesting. My Edge doesn't look like that. Guess I'll have to wait till tomorrow to see if my DVC has this characteristic.

Well?

Pictures?

Well?

It still hasn't arrived at my FFL. Due for delivery today.