Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

cz aluminum base pads

Superpipe9

I have the Shockbottles, and they aren't e-z for me. It's often impossible to seat the nipple on the bottom of the (in this image: http://www.okiegunsmithshop.com/CZ_85.jpgit is part #38, called a) magazine base lock. It's as if the holes in the Shockbottles weren't drilled in the proper locations, or maybe it's just that my mec gar mags have out-of-spec magazine base locks, and the Shockbottles are perfect...I don't know. End result I have to manipulate the magazine base locks with a small punch and even that doesn't work with a few of them.

However, they seem very sturdy and rigid, and they're significantly lighter than the Springers, which would have put me over max production weight for my CZ.

I have both and they both work great. The Springer pads meet weight and the box with no issues with my CZ Accu when weighed at Area 5 and IL Sectional.

They both make weight and fit the box without issue.

I personally like the Shockbottle pads a little better for match use, but I like the Springer Precision pad price a little better. But they are both great. It's just personal preference.

Just got some of my base pads from Springer Precision for my MecGar mags. I have another set of SP's on the way, and will probably sell my Shock Bottles and get a 3rd set of SP's

i-pd4twWD-L.jpg

i-JgrvkWK-L.jpg

Factory 16, MecGar 17AFC, MecGar 19AFC, CZC w/Shock Bottle pads, MecGar 17 w/Springer Precision pads

i-28r66tp-L.jpg

MG17

i-xBdPVqh-L.jpg

CZC w/Shock Bottle pads

i-LzsFnGd-L.jpg

MG17 w/SP pads

i-4BK4khr-L.jpg

Edited by Quack

If there is any downfall to the SP it to me is that the engraving isn't large enough. I want to read them at a glance, not have to actually stare at them. Also they are straight along the back edge, so a small angle of the base pad hangs out. They do not follow the back edge of the mag the way the stock plastic base pads do. I have 6 SP that I use on stock 18rnd SP01 mags and they are great.

Nothing is wrong with either the base pad or mag below are some pictures showing how to assemble the mag and base pad combo

I have the Shockbottles, and they aren't e-z for me. It's often impossible to seat the nipple on the bottom of the (in this image: http://www.okiegunsmithshop.com/CZ_85.jpgit is part #38, called a) magazine base lock. It's as if the holes in the Shockbottles weren't drilled in the proper locations, or maybe it's just that my mec gar mags have out-of-spec magazine base locks, and the Shockbottles are perfect...I don't know. End result I have to manipulate the magazine base locks with a small punch and even that doesn't work with a few of them.

However, they seem very sturdy and rigid, and they're significantly lighter than the Springers, which would have put me over max production weight for my CZ.

This shows the lip on the base lock that slides into the open space on the bottom of the mag the lip is on the bottom of the pic

post-11769-0-91508600-1421614344_thumb.p

This shows the space in the bottom of the mag where the lip on the lock slides in to replace the base pad

post-11769-0-54426800-1421614230_thumb.p

This is what it looks like when assembled correctly then slide on the base pad and it will drop in no problem

post-11769-0-41529500-1421614439_thumb.p

Superpipe9, you WON'T have an issue making weight with the Springers. I have a CZ Accu Shadow and even with the extended Aussie barrel I made weight with the Springer basepads at Area 5 and IL Sectional this year.

Ask anyone using them that's shot a level II or III match. They made weight without issue.

But personally I slightly prefer the shockbottle pads simply because they are a little more rounded off, not as many rigid edges and points.

Edited by JGus

The think I like most about the Springer pads is that you can use them to make different mags work the same. I have a bunch of Mec-Gar 17s and some SP-01 18s. If you get the right pads, you can make them all the same length. When handling them, I have to look at the followers or witness holes to tell which is which. They handle identically.

So do you guys think the springers are worth the price vs just using the stock mecgar 17 rounders. I've never tried the the mecgar mags, only the stock cz 18 rounders with the big base pad. I am use to them, but i do know a lot of guys that just run the stock 17 round mecgar and prefer the base pad on them because it doesn't have that huge lip on the front. My stock mags need new springs and 2 of them have cracked feed lips so I'm just gonna buy the 17 round mecgar. Just don't know if the springer base pad is worth the coin over running the mecgar stock with that small base pad.

So do you guys think the springers are worth the price vs just using the stock mecgar 17 rounders. I've never tried the the mecgar mags, only the stock cz 18 rounders with the big base pad. I am use to them, but i do know a lot of guys that just run the stock 17 round mecgar and prefer the base pad on them because it doesn't have that huge lip on the front. My stock mags need new springs and 2 of them have cracked feed lips so I'm just gonna buy the 17 round mecgar. Just don't know if the springer base pad is worth the coin over running the mecgar stock with that small base pad.

Just get them because they look cool.

i just weighed them on my scale. A stock plastic base pad for an 18rnd CZ mag and the corresponding SP base pad. The different was 10 grams. The plastic was 8 grams and the SP was 18 grams. I then weighed mags with them on and the difference was till the same.

10 grams is just over 1/3 of an ounce, .35. No worries about making weight.

I can't speak for the Shock Bottle's, but my SP base pads fit very well on my stock CZ 18 rounders and the Mec Gar 17's. I have no complaints about them yet. I do like the way that the SP pads make all my mags the same length.

• 1 month later...

The stock mecgar 17 round mags are ok with the stock base pads that come on them.

The base pads (either Springer or Stoeger's) add a little bit of length which makes them easier to handle fast.

Can anyone tell me the thickness of the two CZC basepads offered on the website, and if they will fit MecGar mags or not. I am wondering if they will work with the factory CZ magwell and fit in the IPSC box.

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone tell me the thickness of the two CZC basepads offered on the website, and if they will fit MecGar mags or not. I am wondering if they will work with the factory CZ magwell and fit in the IPSC box.

The only magazine that I know of that will work in the CZ Magwell is the 18rd SP01 mags. You will either need a flat baseplate or the 3 round extension to make them work. The stock plastic baseplate will keep it from seating.