Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Loctite on Chokes?

NorCal707

My Brother & I both own JM Pro 24's - use them recreationally shooting clays, etc. About the only issue we have is the stock choke tubes loosen up every time after shooting 25-50 rounds despite tightening them as much as possible with the stock wrench. Is there a certain type of non-permanent Loctite that could be used to prevent this from happening? I have some Blue Loctite but figured it'd be best to ask here before using it.

Thanks - Dave

Had the same problem as NC707, until I got a better choke tube wrench than the OEM POS. The stock one does not allow you to get much torque, and it often slipped when I leaned on it, raising burrs on the choke tube.Went with a Briley wrench, rather expensive, but very well made. Probably just as good and much more reasonable are http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/shotgun-tools/choke-tube-wrenches/universal-choke-tube-wrench-prod4175.aspx

and http://www.trulockchokes.com/choke-wrench-machined-gauge-p-1652.php

However these will not work with the factory choke tubes, as they have only 2 slots, not 4.

So, perfect opportunity to switch to extended choke tubes, which you can check for tightness by hand, no tools required :) Trulock makes some really good ones, for less than Briley.

Rather than loctite, I use anti seize.

Edited by mpom

Thanks for the link to the Trulock wrench, every time I use a diffuser choke it "threads" itself into the barrel so tightly because of the RH twist in the tube that it's nearly impossible to remove it with the factory wrench. The longer "pilot" portion of the wrench with an extended handle should make removal of the diffuser much easier.

Try a Carlsons speed wrench. The rubber insert expands when you tighten the wing nut on top. I put an O ring on the rubber insert next to the red aluminum arm so I don't scar up the end of the muzzle when screwing in a flush choke.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/shotgun-tools/choke-tube-wrenches/12-gauge-sporting-clay-speed-wrench-sku155102012-4177-9918.aspx?sku=155-102-012

a post about loc-tite.

it is a variety of superglue and from all I can tell it does not hold well

under shear/hammering. the glue is brittle.

medium strength may work, but I worry you may try high strength.

If grease is a possible solution then you want something soft to hold from motion

like rubber cement.

that teflon tape idea may be a good path.

miranda

a post about loc-tite.

If grease is a possible solution then you want something soft to hold from motion

like rubber cement.

miranda

I have used red Loctite to retain compensators on pistols for years. They take a MUCH more aggressive hammering than a choke does. However, Loctite is useless if both surfaces are not perfectly clean and dry prior to application. Red does allow removal with application of a reasonable amount of heat- around 500 degrees or so. Green is basically impossible to remove without excessive heat, and Blue will break down within the range of heat produced by a big shotgun-only stage. HOWEVER, I would not Loctite my chokes in. Anti-seize will keep them from migrating too far as stated above, and keeps them from galling in place if left in the barrel for long periods. I have gone exclusively to extended chokes so I can check tightness by hand whenever I want. Also gives my ADHD mind something to do when I am on the on-deck shooter waiting for the call up to the line :)

a post about loc-tite.

like rubber cement.

miranda

I have used red Loctite to retain compensators on pistols for years. They take a MUCH more aggressive hammering than a choke does. However, Loctite is useless if both surfaces are not perfectly clean and dry prior to application. Red does allow removal with application of a reasonable amount of heat- around 500 degrees or so. Green is basically impossible to remove without excessive heat, and Blue will break down within the range of heat produced by a big shotgun-only stage. HOWEVER, I would not Loctite my chokes in. Anti-seize will keep them from migrating too far as stated above, and keeps them from galling in place if left in the barrel for long periods. I have gone exclusively to extended chokes so I can check tightness by hand whenever I want. Also gives my ADHD mind something to do when I am on the on-deck shooter waiting for the call up to the line :)

yeah, I figured someone would say what you have said.

you may not believe me that I don't really think chokes and sights and compensators get shear/hammered....

the shear part is more important. it is hard to explain where the glue fails.. and shear/hammer is the best way I know.

you can loctite a pair of blocks together and they will hold quite a lot of tension. tap the joint sideways and

when the glue fails it often lets go completely. the glue can take shear but if you shock it in shear, it will fail.

if the medium loc-tite is used and found wanting.... most people try the high strength...

and that is what I wanted the OP to avoid.

I have seen spark plugs with red loc-tite on them.

god knows why...

miranda

I grease my choke threads every time I change them or clean the gun. I keep a tube of bacon grease from the shooting chef in my case for application of the grease. You also get a nice bacon smell after 10 rounds of ammo heating the barrel.

I grease my choke threads every time I change them or clean the gun. I keep a tube of bacon grease from the shooting chef in my case for application of the grease. You also get a nice bacon smell after 10 rounds of ammo heating the barrel.

well now.... that's a bonus. and explains why you have been observed sniffing your gun after a stage.

• 2 weeks later...