Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

$1k do it all shotgun?

vnboileau

Let's say you had a $1,000 budget and wanted a 12 gauge auto loader to bust some clays once in a while, put on an extension and shoot an occasional 3 gun match, etc. And taking neither very seriously. And if upkeep/maintenance on either is easier that would be a plus (I hate cleaning my guns. lol)

What would be on your short list? Stoeger M3000 or Beretta 1301 with 24" barrels? Anything else?

With all the bells and whistles = a 1000.00 Stoeger. It add$ up fast :o Makes a Nice Christmas present though

It looked to me like you could do the M3000 with the basic add-ons for $850 or so. And a 1301 plus extension might be around $1,000.

If the primary is clay games and secondary is 3gun, it all comes down to fit and balance. Whichever one fits well or can be made to fit well is gonna give you the best results. I really like the M3000 because it fits me pretty decent and it swings well for me.

I just found a versa max sportsman for $720. After the $100 rebate, I think I can get it all fancied up for 3 gun and be right at $1k.

Planning on carbon arms versa tube, nordic bolt handle, welded lifter.

That's what I use my JM Pro for. And it was $650. Leaving $350 to spend on shells and birds. I know some people have terrible luck with them. But mine cycles everything, and so does my friends.

Mossberg 930, extra barrel, lots of ammo worth the leftover $.

I just bought a girsan mc312 for 310$. I know it's an unproven gun for many, but for that price it was a no brained for me.

It sounds like you are casual shooter, so a benelli clone like stoeger or girsan might be a good bet.

Very casual. lol

I think the Stoeger would be perfect, and I could always add the extension, etc on later.

I'll chime in here on a 3-gun shotgun for under a grand.

After reading through the hundreds of posts on the Stoeger M3k and shooting my buddies Benelli. I did some calculations, got prices on a Benelli, looked at the costs of having it 'professionally' worked over, polish, mill, tube, trigger etc, and kept hitting up near $1,800.00

I got hold of Tom at MOA, he was able to get a Stoeger M3k to me completely done up, tube, trigger, action, milling, kick-eze (Old guy here, didn't need any extra recoil) including shipping to my FFL for under $1000, or almost exactly the best price I could find on an unmodified Benelli.

Now with SG ammo at about $60 a case, this equated to about 4,000 rounds of ammo for practice.

Am I saying that the M3k is the absolute best out there? No idea really. Oh and 4k of practice ammo isn't for you, you could have a complete back-up gun built and still be only the cost of one Benelli.

After reading through the hundreds of posts on the Stoeger M3k and shooting my buddies Benelli. I did some calculations, got prices on a Benelli, looked at the costs of having it 'professionally' worked over, polish, mill, tube, trigger etc, and kept hitting up near $1,800.00

I got hold of Tom at MOA, he was able to get a Stoeger M3k to me completely done up, tube, trigger, action, milling, kick-eze (Old guy here, didn't need any extra recoil) including shipping to my FFL for under $1000, or almost exactly the best price I could find on an unmodified Benelli.

Now with SG ammo at about $60 a case, this equated to about 4,000 rounds of ammo for practice.

Am I saying that the M3k is the absolute best out there? No idea really. Oh and 4k of practice ammo isn't for you, you could have a complete back-up gun built and still be only the cost of one Benelli.

What ever happened to the $1000 do it all shotgun that Matt Burkett had a pre order on?

I thought it was to be made in Turkey.

Kevin's that's exactly what I was talking about, bought my jmpro 24" at a turners opening in El Cajon for $499, sent lifter to c-rums. $60, opened the port, free. Cleaned and polished action, so apprx $600 and have a great 3 gun setup that's super reliable. Just clean as jerry miculek states and it runs trouble free. Spend the other $400 on shell holders and ammo!!!

I looked up what I spent. If I had not had the Kick-Eze installed, it would have been $860+/- shipped.

I am not going to claim that this is everything a Benelli is, Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. we'll have to see after a few ten thousands of rounds. I've been using my OU for clays, but maybe I'll change up and shoot the Stoeger for a while just to rack up the miles so to speak.

The one thing that holds true across all SGs is this, it has to run and you have to be able to load it fast and shoot it fast.

What ever happened to the $1000 do it all shotgun that Matt Burkett had a pre order on?

I thought it was to be made in Turkey.

Good question. I had planned on getting one but decided to get a Versamax. Does anyone have knowledge of what became of the shotgun? Sorry for the thread drift.

For what's it's worth I would pick up a used Versamax Tactical and run with that for under $1000. Light recoil helps me with follow up shots.