Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

X-Treme Bullets Feedback?

Duane Thomas

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see a ton of crimp questions. Here is how you set your "crimp", measure the thickness of your brass near the edge, multiply this by two and add it to the diameter of the bullet. That number should be your "crimp" (i.e., the diameter of the brass near the edge).

Another reason I sort my brass by head stamp. :)

I have not been reloading my whole life. Only about 3 years. I used to sort 9mm brass by headstamp but got lazy/too busy with 2 kids so I stopped. I noticed my failure rate, accuracy number of failed case guage rounds go WAY up. Recently, i had a bunch of CBC brass that would not pass case gauge, or chamber in my 1911. I was able to blast them out of my M&P though, but the chamber was tight. I decided that I will through all the damn CBC out. It seems that the case walls are thicker than normal. could be wrong though. The biggest problem is that they all bell different so I was having problems getting them to seat straight.

It's for that reason that I decided to purchase a bunch of new 9mm brass from X-Treme Bullets and turn in the ones I have for the brass credit. I'm learning a lot from this thread and hopefully I can start out right with my first set of reloads in 9mm Major

What is the cost per thousand after your credit?

Thanks

I sent in approx 40Ibs of brass and got almost $90 for it. They buy the brass from you at market value, which is $2.10 at the moment

Here might be a stupid question, something reserved mostly for rifles: What kind of twist rates are people using with these bullets. I read a common theme here: The light bullets provide poor accuracy and the heavier bullets provide better accuracy. And then the opposite is true for someone else.

I suspect it might be that the bullets are overstabilized given the twist rate of the barrel. I do not suspect that the crimp could affect the "pointing" of the bullet prior to entering the rifling.

Just my two cents, but I would like to hear other peoples opinions regarding the phenomenon which is VERY true in my 5.56 caliber rifles. (55 grain with versus 77 grain a 1in7 twist barrel.)

Here might be a stupid question, something reserved mostly for rifles: What kind of twist rates are people using with these bullets. I read a common theme here: The light bullets provide poor accuracy and the heavier bullets provide better accuracy. And then the opposite is true for someone else.

I suspect it might be that the bullets are overstabilized given the twist rate of the barrel. I do not suspect that the crimp could affect the "pointing" of the bullet prior to entering the rifling.

Just my two cents, but I would like to hear other peoples opinions regarding the phenomenon which is VERY true in my 5.56 caliber rifles. (55 grain with versus 77 grain a 1in7 twist barrel.)

I've used them in seven twists and eight twists. The Hornady 55s are basically lights out in both, and I'm still working on powder/charge selection on the Xtremes.

Edited by thermobollocks

Minor update: I was able to get some of the Xtreme 55s out to the range today. Unfortunately, with 4 different charge weights of Ramshot TAC out of the rifle I was using, everything sucked. Even the Hornadys sucked. At least everything sucked equally so I might not have 410 stinkers left in this box.

Edited by thermobollocks

• 2 weeks later...

Ive tried the 115 and 124gr 9s and 230gr .45s a couple of times and they worked OK in my guns but I got better accuracy from Berrys, Ranier, PD, and MGs.

The Extreme Bullets are pretty but I find that they are sensitive to crimping and honestly, I have had much better luck with lead, bear creek, and PD bullets. I also find those other offerings to be less in price.

Ive tried the 115 and 124gr 9s and 230gr .45s a couple of times and they worked OK in my guns but I got better accuracy from Berrys, Ranier, PD, and MGs.

The Extreme Bullets are pretty but I find that they are sensitive to crimping and honestly, I have had much better luck with lead, bear creek, and PD bullets. I also find those other offerings to be less in price.

precision delta are cheaper than extreme? Where?

• 2 months later...

I shoot the Xtreme 55grs over 24gr of Tac through my 18in Mega SPR barrel for my 3 gun rifle and I get sub moa groups with mixed range brass conconsistently.

I also use the 147gr RNs over 3.3grs of Csb1 in my 9mm with great accuracy as well. I'm definitely an Xtreme Bullets fan!

I shoot mostly 9. Depending on the batch, you'll have good ones and bad ones. The issue is that if I shoot 50 rounds out of my 9 major open gun, 124 hp, 45 of them will group into less than 2" inches at 25 yards, and 5 will open up the group to 10 inches. With zero or other jacketed billets, all 50 go into one raged hole. The issue really is is that one flyer the one that gave you that mike in that stage with targets out to 25 yards, or was it you? Lol. If you can't trust the bullet, don't use it. By the way, for 9mm 115g, if you buy 2k or more, they end up cheaper than extremes 115g.

Extreme needs to lower the price for the quality they sell.

I have been back and forth with Xtreme 147 RN and HP trying to see a noticeable difference. I'm running N320 3.4 OL 1.3-1.4 and "crimp" .375 Honestly I'm confused with this crimp issue...I was taught it is a specific measurement not a subjective light/tight ?

My experiment came about when I pulled some RN and HP XTremes and saw only a very slight rim on the bullet where it was seated...in no form would even the lightest plating been compromised .

I have simply resigned myself to the fact I am simply not an extremely accurate shot so perhaps I will not be able to properly asses these bullets.....and to all of those that can put 5 rounds inside a nickel at 35 yards .......good on 'ya......lol

With ammo testing, it's super critical to remove as much of the human element as possible. Build up a bunker of sandbags.

And yes, crimp can be measured. I only recently started actually measuring it. For thousands upon thousands of rounds I was just eyeballing it. It's more an issue of repeatability at this point than trying to troubleshoot any given problem, but if you do need to troubleshoot, how else can you compare?

I'm running N320 3.4 OL 1.3-1.4 and "crimp" .375 Honestly I'm confused with this crimp issue...I was taught it is a specific measurement not a subjective light/tight ?

We carefully measure everything else: OAL, powder grains, bullet diameter etc. Why wouldn't we measure crimp?

.375 sounds like too much crimp to me. I use Xtreme 147 RN as well, and try to set my crimp at .378 / .379

With plated bullets i crimp as lightly as I possibly can and still remove the belling. I've shot tens of thousands of extreme bullets, in 9, 40 and 45. I've shot them from 1911's, cz 75's and cs tacsports. They will all consistently shoot 3-4" groups freehand at 25-30 yards, which is about as good as I can shoot most times.

If someone is getting noticeably poor accuracy out of these (or most any other bullet), I have to think they are probably doing it wrong. I've yet to find ANY bullet that wouldn't shoot more than accurately enough for uspsa.

(note, i have no experience at open velocities. I wouldn't be at all surprised if plated bullets were more problematic in open guns).

Edited by motosapiens

I tried Extreme 115 RN HPCB shooting out of 38 Super Comp with 9.3 gr HS6 at 1.230 OAL. All these pics used same powder, same OAL, and small rifle primers. The only variable was the bullet used. All shot offhand at 10 yards.

Extreme 115 RN HPCB,

115 Montana Gold JHP, and

Hornady 115 HAP

post-15700-0-09499700-1429032228_thumb.j

post-15700-0-03622800-1429032235_thumb.j

post-15700-0-54783200-1429032242_thumb.j

post-15700-0-25105800-1429032250_thumb.j

post-15700-0-29470400-1429032258_thumb.j

........... I have simply resigned myself to the fact I am simply not an extremely accurate shot so perhaps I will not be able to properly asses these bullets.....and to all of those that can put 5 rounds inside a nickel at 35 yards .......good on 'ya......lol

I know what you mean! :bow::bow:

My experience with Xtreme is ok. They have great customer service and their prices are good. The problem I had was their bullet shape inconsistencys. I was loading 9mm 124grRN and my OAL would vary + or - .002 to .003 all day long. It drove me to try other brand bullets and the problem went away. It could have been a bad lot but changing brands eliminated the problem. Now my OAL stays at + or - .001.

Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse here....as always just trying to figure this stuff out......Crimping......as mentioned I have been "crimping" all my 147 9 mm at .375...... That being said ...I read the note above suggesting I try opening it up to .378-.379.

After reading this I went down and measured 7 different types of factory 9mm in the safe....almost every round , except for some crazy defense rounds....and they were all .375-.376.

So I'm wondering what advantage to increasing my crimp?......I seriously am looking for input here....as I mentioned after pulling some Xtrreme 147 after screw ups I noticed only a very minor ring on the bullet itself.

I will try most anything within reason to improve my reloading and shooting skills and appreciate all the input....never stop learning....Thanks.

Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse here....as always just trying to figure this stuff out......Crimping......as mentioned I have been "crimping" all my 147 9 mm at .375...... That being said ...I read the note above suggesting I try opening it up to .378-.379.

After reading this I went down and measured 7 different types of factory 9mm in the safe....almost every round , except for some crazy defense rounds....and they were all .375-.376.

So I'm wondering what advantage to increasing my crimp?......I seriously am looking for input here....as I mentioned after pulling some Xtrreme 147 after screw ups I noticed only a very minor ring on the bullet itself.

I will try most anything within reason to improve my reloading and shooting skills and appreciate all the input....never stop learning....Thanks.

Most factory 9mm uses FMJ bullets which have thick copper jackets. A heavy crimp doesn't cut the jacket or impact accuracy, and can actually get velocity more consistent with uniform start pressures. Same with lead bullets with a crimp groove.

Xtremes tend to be softish, and a .375 crimp may slightly swage the bullet and cut the plating, neither of which will help accuracy.

Mark R, probably need to open the crimp up a bit. Your 10 yard groups look like my 40 yard groups with the same bullet.

If I open up the crimp any more, the bullets will fall out, or worse setback. Very little crimp on all those...maybe .001-.002 at most.