Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SS magwell question

balmo

I am still on the fence which type of magwell to choose from.

Are game-type magwells (Dawson Ice, Techwell, Infinity) leaps and bounds faster than regular magwells? (SA, Ed Brown)

If the significance is great, I'll get a Dawson. If it is not too much, I'll get an Ed Brown. I do like the look of a regular magwell. Does magwell even come into play for a C-class shooter?

Your opinion between the two types of magwell is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Yes, it does matter. I shot with an S&A type for a long time and liked it, then happened into a techwell and there is a considerable difference. In single stack reloading is a big part of the game so give yourself all the advantage you can. I haven't tried the dawson but imagine it is comparable to the techwell.

I've run both and currently have both. The S&A style IMO is just as fast as the Techwell / Dawson magwells but I think where the big mouth ones give you an advantage is they are a little more forgiving of a sloppy reload. But if you stick the reload then the difference is not as great.

Guess I'm old school too but like Ed Brown's mag well. Brown's mag well will require fitting which can take some time but like to pull

down on the nose of the magazine to be sure it's seated before holstering the pistol at the start of a stage. Seems easier with the Ed Brown

style mag well. Also like Brown's extended magazine release. Have a Spartan with a Teck Well easier to fit but less selection on grips.