Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ quality control

mikeinctown

I'm wondering what your experiences are when buying your new CZs. I'm wondering if my experience is typical or not. (also see photos below)

I picked up my new SP-01 from the FFL yesterday and after I got home and field stripped it I was pretty surprised at how it looked. The barrel finish had already been worn off along the barrel, as if the factory had given it a workout pre shipping. None of my Sigs that I have range time with show anywhere near the wear that the new CZ has out of the box. (in fact my Sigs show no wear yet except for a partial smile on my P226 barrel) I also noticed that areas of the slide where the slide mates with the frame are bare metal and have no finish either, along with the portion of the slide where the barrel slides through. In fact, now that I think about it, the poly coat on this one seems far less thick than the poly coat I saw on the SP-01 that I had checked out at a show a month back.

To be honest, if this hadn't come rom a trusted seller, I would have thought I was sent a used gun rather than a new one. The one other thing that keeps me from thinking the gun is used is the outside chamber portion is unscathed and there are no marks or wear on the feed ramp.

BTW, I cannot believe how strong the slide return spring is. Either I've gotten very weak in the couple weeks since I've shot last, or CZ really likes strong springs.

Edited by mikeinctown

I've owned about 8 CZs over the years and all but one was a shooter straight out of the box. One needed a trip back to CZ for some work and they handled the return promptly and fixed things at very little inconvenience to me.

As far as appearance goes, I've noticed tool marks on the inside of the slides and I know what you mean about the barrel "finish". However, all my barrels are a color more like raw steel and they all appear somewhat tarnished when new. My impression is that this is more cosmetic than functional. There was a thread on the CZ forum that discussed this at length, but I'm not sure where it is now.

Not sure about the spring poundage, but that was the very first thing I changed on my SP01 shadow.

My had a cosmetic flaw also. When they flared the magwell it looked like they did it with a die grinder and held in place for to long because in one spot it was ground down way farther then the rest of the magwell. I bought if from CZC and they made things right with me. They said the magwell flaring is done at the factory.

My Tanfoglio Match has over 10,000 rounds and doesn't look anywhere near as worn as yours. My frame is chrome which probably reduces the slide wear where it touches the frame, but still... That doesn't mean your pistol won't last another 100K rounds, just be aware that it doesn't look N.I.B. (new in box).

Thanks for the feedback guys. I sent an email to the seller on Friday. If I do not hear back today by early afternoon I will give them a call. I did check the S/N and it is the same on the gun frame and slide as the case. Not sure what I could find out with the SN though.

May not have any rounds down the pipe. But that slide has definitely been racked a few times, barrel ring mark/wear may be from the barrel locking up a few (hundred) times. Just a theory....

Not saying seller sold you a used gun, but if new is defined as not fired, then this gun might pass, but not if it was sold as out of the box new.

hi ya, this is a $635. pistol. so if you got it for $515. i would expect the possibility that it was a demo model.

I bought my CZ slightly used, a couple of years ago. it is my tack driver. yesterday's steel match found me missing the fewest shots on over 130 targets. maybe 15 misses.

Demo model my ass, that is where my slide finish is worn from holster wear too and I have been carrying it for 6 years.

If this is a new gun I have a bridge in brooklyn to sell you.

If this is wear from test firing the gun will gall itself to death in a box of ammo or so.

Easy way to check is to take out the extractor and see how much carbon is built up in there.

Edit, just looked at your extractor retaining pin, the hole is buggered, looks like some one already went to town on it with the wrong punch or something.

I hope the seller took you out for a dinner and bought you flowers before ----- you.

Edited by Petrov

Whoa- I take back what I wrote earlier…. the less than perfect spots on any of my CZs don't look anything like this gun.

@brooke, this is not indicative of CZ quality. Instead I think this is at best a case of poor sales description, or at worst, bait & switch.

Just got off the phone with the seller who had another gun from the same batch still in the shop. He stripped it down, and while it did not have the same amount of wear that mine appears to have, he did describe some of the same wear appearance that I have on mine, especially on the inside of the slide. He noted that CZ used to send the barrels without any coating and that they used to just be all steel where now they apply the black coating. He also noted that the inside parts of the frame and slide either get coated very little, or in some areas none at all. This was evident to me when I was inspecting the frame on my gun. Also, since they do not have a storefront and are a custom shop, I don't believe that customers would have caused any of the wear. He confirmed a ship date from CZ of 10/1 of this year so there was very little time in which it could have gotten the wear.

Some have mentioned holster wear or other scratches. I have honestly not noticed that myself and think that the lights may have been making the photos look slightly different than they were. I can only attest to the fact that the apparent wear I photographed was as bad as it looks in the photos.

As this was purchased from a very trusted shop according to members on this forum, and after speaking with the shop, I firmly believe that this is how CZ shipped it. As such, I do plan on sending this back in the spring for some custom work. On to CZ, if I didn't already have this in my hand I certainly don't think I would have purchased it based on the perceived quality. That may change once I get a chance to put some bullets through the barrel though, and I may become their biggest fan.

So, to sum it all up, this is apparently a CZ quality control issue.