Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New 1050 issue

Just bought a Super 1050 from Brian Enos. Thing works like a charm with 1 exception. Only about 50% of my cases get primers in them. The primers I do get are perfectly seated.

Resolution on this bad bear? The Dillon manual only has trouble shooting for primers that are mis-seated or crushed.

There is a primer slide stop at the rear of the press. I'd loosen/tighten the allen bolt holding it in place as It might be short stroking or going too far.

Pull the primer tube out and check the plastic primer guide at the bottom for burrs/damage.

The other thing I would do is place a very light bullet (or some kind of weight) on top of the plastic primer rod. That will help 'push' the primer into the primer slide.

Edited by al503

had a similar problem and I ended up cleaning the inside of the primer feed tube with alcohol ... seems to have resolved the problem.

You can also push a q-tip through the primer tube with the plastic rod. I do this every year (along with my primer pick up tubes) and it usually comes out pretty black.

I think this may just be the one biggest complaint from 1050 owners. Hang in there it CAN BE FIXED.

Really? Not doubting, but that is the one part of my 1050 I load on that has NEVER skipped a beat. Ive gotten a few sideways(and subsequently crushed) primers from gunk in the primer hole in the slide, but never not fed a primer.

Thanks guys. This forum is great as always.

I put a 45 ACP case with a 9mm 124 grain bullet inside it on top of my primer "stick." No joy.

To answer Dillon's (factory rep?) question, yes I did cycle the machine with no brass in it. Primers appear only half the time. The presence of brass has no positive or negative effect. Also--this is straight from the factory--I made no adjustments at all.

The primer slide stop is all the way out. I suppose I could push it in a bit, but I have not tried that yet. The washer concept is an interesting one. I am hoping that it won't come to that!

Have not checked the primer guide for burrs/damage. I want to exhaust the easy fixes before I take the primer system apart.

The primer slide stop is all the way out. I suppose I could push it in a bit, but I have not tried that yet. The washer concept is an interesting one. I am hoping that it won't come to that!

Might be running to far to the rear if the stop is backed all the way out. I would empty out the primer tube insert, drop it in, and look down the tube with the primer slide retracted and see how it lines up with the bottom of the primer feed tube plastic tip.

Helped a friend who has several 1050. Placing a washer behind the half moon stop worked great + it needs to be clean just a little powder

residue will jam the primer feed. We made the washer from a primer box. Cleaning the primer tube and the weight on the rod good idea also.

Looks like I figured it out with the help of you folks. The problem was that the primer slide stop was too snug. I loosened it a bit and now it works. The only issue that remains is......it has to be so loose that it is a bit too loose.

I will look at finding a really, really thin washer. Anyone know what I might ask for at the hardware store?

Thinnest "washers" I could ever find were fiber washers(I was trying to space out my advance pawl assembly just ever so slightly to get it centered on the hole in the shell plate). They were at least HALF the thickness of the thinnest metal washer. Not sure if they would work for this application, but worth a try.

First, check the rubber tubing on the post at the back of the primer slide. You want the part of the tubing that "touches" to always be in perfect condition, showing absolutely no wear or "denting." (Which is should be, since it's new.)

(You buy a foot of that tubing at an auto parts store - which will last you forever.)

Then with that variable removed, this is what made my 1050's priming system 100% reliable: Add or remove the .001" shims from under part# 13108, until - with the machine at rest - drop a single primer down the primer magazine tube, and it should drop into its hole in the primer slide - 10 times in a row.

sorry yall.

but remove the rubber tube and raise or lower the primer cam assembly as necessary.

you wont ever need it.

nothing worse than the tube wearing out in the middle of a run.

also snug Magazine Shield Cap and back off 1/4 turn.

Edited by SD1

sorry yall.

but remove the rubber tube and raise or lower the primer cam assembly as necessary.

you wont ever need it.

nothing worse than the tube wearing out in the middle of a run.

also snug Magazine Shield Cap and back off 1/4 turn.

Yep...

I have "made" shims/washers with biz cards, but they wear out. Just dealing with this yesterday. Called fastenal this morn and the thinnest washer they show is .015 fiber washer. I was hoping for a .001 shim, but no joy.

Anyone have a source for a .001 shim for a 1/8 diameter hole ( or is it 3/16?)