Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The 625 is dead?

PatJones

.45 auto rim?

And speedloaders. I have visions of 250 gr bullets loaded to 426 fps (105+ PF) in 45ar brass...

I tried auto rim & speedloaders with mine, trying to shoot ICORE Classic with what I have, and couldn't get an accurate load that was long enough to load easily. With regular length .45s there isn't much left sticking out of the speedloaders and when I went long enough for something to go into the cylinder I got shotgun pattern groups. I was using Berrys 185 gr hollow base and went up to 140ish PF with no improvement. I didn't spend a lot of time chasing it down before I gave up, but it is something to consider.. Edited by bdpaz

Not too many years ago IDPA only had one class for revolvers with barel length up to 5" , then along came SSR and ESR and a 4" Barrel, if the powers that be are half as intelligent as I think they are we will revert to the old rules, any revolver 5" barrel of less, any type of loader/ moon clip and a 120 to 125 power factor.

If for some reason a 625 with 45ar was competitive in SSR someone would have been using it by now.

And there's no way IDPA is going to allow clipped guns to compete with speed loader guns again, at least not at the same power factor.

I sure hope the 625 isn't dead. A year ago it was the only gun.

There are lots of thoughts on the IDPA forum about this.

I don't like the idea of getting rid of the ESR class because it hurts the 625 shooters. Think about the guy who has dedicated himself to this gun, mastering the moon clip reload, and then finding out his division in competing with the same gun & equipment is gone. One thought has been the 625 can still be used in SSR but only with speed reloaders. Major cal guns should not have to compete with minor cal guns. Why would they want to start excluding people? Who knows ... guess we will find out with the new IDPA rule book.

Guess since Jerry M didn't compete in the Nationals this year they no longer care about him or the 625. Just sayin'

I will be tarred & feathered for saying this... but the only reason the 625 survived was because competition rules favored it. There really isn't much other use for it. Carry concealed? No, Home defense? Maybe. Law enforcement? No. Handgun hunting? No. What does the 625 actually do other than ventilate cardboard with a big PF?

The gun lived by the rules. It will also likely die by the rules. I do feel sorry for those who invested time & money into the 625 only to find the 'bureaucrats' changed the rules on them.

I will be tarred & feathered for saying this... but the only reason the 625 survived was because competition rules favored it. There really isn't much other use for it. Carry concealed? No, Home defense? Maybe. Law enforcement? No. Handgun hunting? No. What does the 625 actually do other than ventilate cardboard with a big PF?

Dang...I have to agree here! :)

The 625 was fun to shoot...a few times. It wasn't fun to shoot a 100 round match with. (or a 200 round practice!)

Guess we'll both be tarred and feathered...

I still shoot my 625 for steel and uspsa, but I also shoot my 327 TRR8 with a dot. If you like a gun you don't have to stop shooting it just because I doesn't have a niche anymore, the gun is still fun to shoot for me so I'll keep on plinking with it. Plus it's awesome beating autos in steel challenge with a 6-shot gun!

+1 on what akkid said. I've carried and shot revolvers most of my life. Is a 625 competitive with plastic bottom feeders? No. But they are fun to shoot , a challenge to master and they certainly test your ability to shoot well. They change the nature of the contest. No make up shots, no spray and pray; it's all about shooting well. Not that the autos aren't fun, mind you. Revolvers done well display a level of ability different than bottom feeders. Much like my nephew says "sluts are fun". Can't argue with that. I have 4 competition revolvers and 5 race autos so don't think I'm prejudiced.

Ron

NRA Life

Certified American Voter and gun toter

Ron.. you can still experience the 'thrill of Revo" with a .38 Spl. And, do it in IDPA, ICORE, Bianchi Cup, and Steel Challenge... where it will still be VERY competitive.... at least, until the bureaucrats decide to outlaw those.

What chaffs my hide is the fact that when I got into action shooting a couple of years ago I started in IDPA, bought a 625 Performance Center, really liked it so got another one for backup, then the club shut down and now this. Oh well.

I also bought one last year with all the bells / whistles.

I'd guess I'll keep my 625 and 1955 forever, not sure how much I'll shoot them but I'll have them. I have a ammo can of 45 ammo so at some point I need to shoot the 625 and burn up the ammo. It's loaded with some free 185 SWCs i got years ago and won't run 100% in my Glocks.

I'm curious why people are so worked up by this, if you enjoy shooting a 625 then it being competitive shouldn't matter, and if all you're concerned with is being competitive then you'll want to get the best gun for the game you want to compete in. This is just like any other sport when where are advancements of new rules put in place. I'm sure if you raced cars you'd want to have the most up to date and best set up for your class/division/sport and last years model isn't going to hack it if you want to be in the winners circle. As I said before, I like my 625 so I'll keep shooting it, if I want to be competitive I'll shoot my 327 8-shot. Furthermore, I will more than likely be buying a 929, not because I need to be competitive in revo division but because it will be fun to shoot and I've wanted a 9mm revo since I started shooting revolvers. Maybe I'm just new...

I've shot some fairly large local matches and been the only shooter with a revolver so for sure I'd dominate Revolver Division even if I was loading from drop pouches. AK is right, if you enjoy shooting the 625 or any other pistol do it and have fun.

GOF

I truly hope no one ever rains on your parade. Or u have to save for a year to buy a gun to compete.

Let's be honest very few of us carry what we shoot on the weekend.

Hope this doesn't go I like esr

To GOF,

Only other venue(s) in South Florida is Steel. I do indeed use my 627 for that and occasional Production. I'm enough of an adventurer that I actually shoot in all divisions and never know till Saturday night what I'll shoot Sunday morning. Prolly why I'm not rated highly in any division tho I'll bet I rank in the upper ranges for enjoying myself. As for revolver, I have 2 full on 625's and much prefer them in revo competition. Guess that makes me a big hole kinda guy. (^-^) And as a fat old man it's still fun beating kids shooting 9mm plastic guns with a 45 revolver.

As Gunny says ..... Hooooo-Ah!

Ron

Certified American Voter and Gun Toter

NRA Life

Yadda-Yadda

Ron, Orlando (CFRPC) shoots IDPA. USPSA, and ICORE... Clearwater (WAC) shoots ICORE and some others. Don't know how close they are to you, or how far "South" you live in FL (I'm up north of Gainesville) but there are options.

jc7x7,

I do honestly feel sorry for those who invested time & money in setting up a new gun. I'm a plain working class guy and realize that you do have to save up to buy that new gun BTDT on half a dozen handguns. But, I didn't make rules that killed them. Blame the 'bureaucrats' sitting in their comfortable offices, or airplanes, and passing on edicts from on high that the 'poor masses' have to now follow.

GOF,

Yup, Orlando / mid state Florida is a hotbed of activity available for revolver. Problem is when I say South Florida I mean SOUTH Florida. I'm just north of Ft Lauderdale. I won't belabor you with the details but a 5+ hour round trip to shoot ain't in my wheelhouse. Don't misunderstand. I can shoot revolver at any of my club's matches and frequently do. All I was trying to convey is that it doesn't matter what the rules are. I'm not really trying to be a contender but will continue to shoot revolver whenever it strikes my fancy. Beating kids in the process is just icing on the cake for me. Prolly why I still shoot Single Stack. I'm just saying I enjoy shooting and for me whatever the rules are I'll just go with the flow, try to burn my share of powder and let the young bucks fuss amongst themselves.

Ron

Certified American Voter and Gun Toter

NRA Life

Yadda-Yadda

Ron, I've been to Lauderdale. I understand. The options in that neck of Florida are considerably less than we enjoy further north. Shoot what you can, have fun. That's the name of the game!... and at age 64 I also enjoy finishing an IDPA match and listening to some young high-speed-low-drag semi-auto shooter commiserate with his friends about how he just got whupped by "An old guy with a revolver". (Yes, I have actually heard that :bow:). It puts a spring in old legs.

That's also one of the reasons (maybe the big reason) that I shoot SSR).