Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

5" or6"

FireShooter

I'm a fan of the 6 in provided the slide is lightened a fair amount. If you don't wanna lighten the slide go 5 inch. The 6 inch has an edge on the farther targets and smaller plates clubs are starting to use now but for me at least it seems to flop around more with a full weight slide. With a light slide it tracks well

I just recently went through a similar analysis and given my planned use was going with a 9mm so opted for the 5". I wanted full dustcover, steel grip, and bull barrel and a 6" would have been way too heavy. If you were doing bushing, and a cut back dustcover and some slide lightening a 6" wouldn't weigh anymore grip materials being similar.

If your getting a custom build talk to the builders and they will get you on the right path.

Hello: We just shot some of the stages from the Brownells Lady 3-gun match here. It was a pistol match but some of the targets were way out there at 33 yards. We shot some small rectangular steel at 15 yards also. I am glad I had my 6" 2011 for this match. I would say get a lightened 6" in either 9mm or 40 depending on which match type you will be shooting. You may also look at a Glock 34/35 or 17L/24 if you like the Glock platform? Thanks, Eric

• 3 weeks later...

If you're primarily shooting 3gun, you're probably going to build it in 9mm right? I'd go with a 5" gun mainly because you will most likely be using kydex style holsters. Don't get me wrong, I love my 5.4, but in 9mm its just extra weight that you don't need.

I have both a 5" and 6" barreled STI's in 9mm. The 5" is an Eagle, and the 6" is an Edge with a 5" slide with a sight tracker barrel. Both have lightened slides. The 6" is quite a bit heavier, and while both feel great the 6" is nicer. I like the extra sight radius and a little extra velocity won't hurt either since they are primarily used for 3 gun. When in a match, I don't notice the additional weight of the 6" gun, nor does it seem to slow down transitions.

5.4? Sounds like a CZ75 Tac Sport to me!

I thought I saw where a 5.4" tac sport is actually a 5.1" barrel. There pics here somewhere showing sight radii and a g34 looked longer.
You have sown the seeds of doubt in my mind! Now I'm gonna have to get out if work early just to go home and measure my TS barrel.

5.4? Sounds like a CZ75 Tac Sport to me!

I thought I saw where a 5.4" tac sport is actually a 5.1" barrel. There pics here somewhere showing sight radii and a g34 looked longer.
You have sown the seeds of doubt in my mind! Now I'm gonna have to get out if work early just to go home and measure my TS barrel.

Lol classic... try to slip the CZ in on the 1911 sub forum, and it turns out CZ includes the feed ramp in their measurement. They are approximately the same length as a 5" 19/2011. But the extra barrel length sounds good in the marketing literature!

it turns out CZ includes the feed ramp in their measurement. They are approximately the same length as a 5" 19/2011. But the extra barrel length sounds good in the marketing literature!

Unfortunately Mike, that's not true either:

CZTSIncludingFeedRamp_zps78462ec9.jpg

Regrettably I had to drop the hammer of empirical evidence on Angus over on the CZ Forum a while back with regards to the SP01 barrels:

In Australia it is from the breech face with the barrel in the pistol

How about in the US? or Czechoslovakia? Angus, I hate to be a gadfly, but it just really bugs me. The 2012 CZ USA catalog lists the SP-01 with a 4.72" (120mm) barrel, the 2013 CZ USA lists the SP-01 with a 4.61" (117mm) barrel and the CZ UB 2013-2014 catalog list the SP-01 with a 114mm (4.49") barrel which matches reality when measured from the breech to the muzzle just like SAAMI specifications:

"BARREL LENGTH: On shoulder arms and most handguns the distance between the muzzle of the barrel and the face of the breech block or bolt. On revolvers, it is the overall length of the barrel only, including the portion within the frame."

http://www.saami.org/glossary/display.cfm?letter=b

I'll bet an Aussie barrel when measured from breech to muzzle is exactly 120mm (4.72") per the minimum barrel length requirement in Australia: http://www.ssaa.org.au/stories/handguns-the-handgun-in-australia-today.html#.Uk9UUhCGfYQ

Back in May Zach Hein promised he would fix the measurements in next years catalog, which I'll greet with great gratitude.

[/RANT] :-X

This has been a pet peeve of mine for quite some time: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=194708&p=2159251

Edited by kneelingatlas

In my case, the biggest advantage of the 6" is the ability to focus on the front sight, when necessary, on the longer shots. With older eyes, it makes a huge difference.

The shorter barrel may be a bit quicker on the draw, but the time difference of the first shot can never make up the difference of a missed shot. My own opinion is that draw time is much more critical in steel challenge or uspsa matches when compared to 3-gun. It seems like most matches you are drawing on the move anyway. I think the increased sight radius more than makes up for the speed out of the kydex.

Happy thanksgiving!

I think the differences are only perceptible when both are held back to back. So whatever you have just shoot it until it feels like an extension of you. I have a light weight 6 Cheely (36-37oz) and it points very nice. I've gotten used to it and noticed it could be flatter only after trying a friend's 5" SV butler cut with steel grip and sight tracker + tungsten rod. But the difference was subtle behind a range port. Under the timer I suspect I won't notice anything. My second build coming is a 5.5 Cheely, just because :)