Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Barrels which you had good groups with Cheaper Ammo?

apetrulis01

Hello:

Looking to build another 3 gun upper. I was wondering what barrels you guys have tried that have given you good groups with the cheaper 55 fmj stuff. (American Eagle, XM193, etc)

I don't have time to hand load stuff (work and family) and I cannot afford to buy the really good stuff (Just a lonely Sergeant with a Sheriff's Office). So I can only get decent 55 fmj.

I am not looking for sub MOA but hitting MGM flashers out at 400 yards is a must.

Thanks for the replies.

Adam

Federal ammo shoots great in JP barrels. All I shoot is 55's. All of the JP supermatch barrels are cryo treated. Each barrel also comes with a bolt that is head spaced for that barrel.

Jay

In my opinion this is the answer, the barrel is a little more than some others but the head spaced bolt is added value and one less thing that you will have to buy for the new build. Don't scrimp on the barrel, its the one thing on an upper that really makes the difference.

Doug

The 18" Nordic shoots Hornady Steel Match into about 0.8MOA, AE 55 into about 1.0 MOA, Freedom 55 Blaster into about 1.3 MOA.

It also shoots the Nosler Premium match ammo and the Black Hills match under 0.5 MOA.

I understand a quality barrel is needed and I realize I will have to spend some money. I am just asking on the back end if I want to practice more and shoot more matches I will need to get regular 55 gr fmj instead of the more expensive stuff.

So basically it comes down to JP or Nordic?

I was also thinking since I will be shooting more 55 gr then anything will a 1 in 9 be better then a 1 in 8 or 1 in 7?

Thanks,

Adam

I have a stock CMMG M4 16 inch 1:9 twist barrel and added JP bolt, JP adj gas block, SJC comp, stock carrier, JP silent capture, JP Easy Trigger, UTG Pro Super Slim 13 inch handguard.

With a Vortex SPARC II, 2 MOA dot:

200 yds, .223 American Eagle black box 55 gr= 2 inch group at 200 yds

I'd like to think it would print better if not for just a 2 moa red dot scope. I've tried hornady steel match 62 or 72 gr bthp, federal boattail hollow point 62 gr bla bla and none print better than the plain black box, so I'm not gonna spend a bunch of money trying anything else except maybe black hills. I guess I should be happy the cheap stuff prints the best, huh. I'd guess for a cheap plinker barrel I'm sure the CMMG barrel I have is not much money.

Edited by AirForce2

• 2 weeks later...

My bcm 18" will shoot pmc 5.56 55gr, federal .223 bulk and fiocchi 55gr right around 1moa.

I was hoping someone would have one that they use for 3 gun, I'm really looking at getting a 18" SS KMR upper from them and this post pushed me over the edge.

Edited by dramabeats

Bought a Stoner AR 18" stainless to give it a try. It groups 3/4 moa to 500 yds. For the price I was not expecting much. I have been very surprised. I intended to replace it when something else became available. I got it from Midway for a really good price. With Federal XM193 bulk ammo.

Edited by mike4045

I was hoping someone would have one that they use for 3 gun, I'm really looking at getting a 18" SS KMR upper from them and this post pushed me over the edge.

I built mine up with 13" KMR handguard as well. I have mine reprofiled too, so the balance is at a good point for me. I've shot Black Hills, Norma, Fiocchi, and Nosler, All either 69 or 77smk's and it'll get me to .5moa if I remember how to pull a trigger correctly.

Good chance that is an anomoly... Especially if we are talking 200 yards and 5 round groups.

Quick internet search will show their generally regarded as a decently accurate barrel. I wouldn't put it up there with kreigers, liljas, etc. but it'll definitely get the job done. I think they're produced by criterion, which seem like a decent barrel maker. Edited by NisilS14

I built mine up with 13" KMR handguard as well. I have mine reprofiled too, so the balance is at a good point for me. I've shot Black Hills, Norma, Fiocchi, and Nosler, All either 69 or 77smk's and it'll get me to .5moa if I remember how to pull a trigger correctly.

Good chance that is an anomoly... Especially if we are talking 200 yards and 5 round groups.

Quick internet search will show their generally regarded as a decently accurate barrel. I wouldn't put it up there with kreigers, liljas, etc. but it'll definitely get the job done. I think they're produced by criterion, which seem like a decent barrel maker.

What barrel profile did you go with? what kind of reduction in weight?