Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

capped vs un-capped turrets?

Th3Un4givin

I've almost finished my 3 gun rifle and have been looking at tons of optics and have noticed a couple things, the vortex pst 1-4 seems to be a very popular option but people say that having exposed turrets can lead to the zero being bumped and changed during rifle dumps or pick ups. With the pst having open turrets is this really a problem? I ask cause I'm seriously considering getting the Leatherwood CMR1-4 (because I'm on a budget and can get the scope with mount for 330) but it has un-capped turrets too.

Thanks for the help!!

Yea, I really would like to get a primary arms 1-6 but not knowing when they'll be in stock is killing me lol

Yea I've heard good things about the tac30/mtac but from what I've heard their not the best for shooting out to 400/500? Our an I just mistaken.

In my short three gun career I have seen exposed turrets screw people on two different occasions. I would stay away from exposed turret scopes. As far as the Burris MTAC/TAC 30, I started out with the MTAC and switched to the Bushnell 1-6.5 shortly thereafter mainly due to the fact that I struggled with long range shots. That being said the MTAC is a good scope, with my eyes I just needed a little more magnification and a little finer reticule for the longer range shots.

TH3 I have the CMR and I have had the issue of the turrets being bumped and losing zero. I would look real close at the Optisan I like the reticle and the price is decent.

Is this the one your talking about? It looks like there's just a line with no hold overs, how would you know what part of the line is a certain distance?

http://swfa.com/Optisan-1-4x24-Mamba-EAR30-Mount-Combo-P51887.aspx

I have a Leupold 1.24X4 with uncapped turrets. So far it has been off windage in one match from taking out of case, one in elevation. Total of over 300 seconds in misses. If on a budget either get the Vortex with capped turrets or the Burris Tac 30. I would not recommend uncapped turrets unless they lock.

I think sschultz was talking about the optisan cx6, maybe not though. I would stay away from that Bushnell 1-4x and I say that because I own one. Poor glass, easily bumped turrets, nowhere near daylight bright illumination and worst of all the reticle is almost impossible to see fast at 1x. It does look good in advertising, that's how I ended up with one never intended for it to be a long term optic though, just needed something cheap to get started.

I failed to understand why scope makers keep putting the uncapped turrets on these 1 to 1.5-6 or 8x scopes when there already is a BDC or similar markings in the reticle. Perhaps they are not aimed at the 3-gun crowd?

(Even though the old school TR24 scope with the "Washington Monument" reticle has its limitation, Trijicon did it right with marked, finger adjustable elevation/windage knobs under caps.)

Edited by PacMan

I have a Vortex PST with uncapped turrets and to prevent any screw ups I installed the zero shims and aligned the fiber optic caps to point straight back. This way when I take my sight picture before a stage I can do a quick check to make sure they haven't been moved around.