Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I don't reload but I'm thinking about getting a 2011....

Malcolm31

So I haven't gotten into reloading yet, but I was thinking about the possibility of getting a 2011. Are there some 2011's on the market that run factory ammo better than others? How about tuning...can a 2011 be tuned well for factory ammo? I got bitten badly by the 3 gun bug and was thinking about a STI Edge in 9mm.

I've been shooting a glock 34 and I've been really happy with it, but who doesn't need another blaster?

I have to agree with reload first then 2011. I started in USPSA in July 2013. Bought a G34 and ran factory ammo. After several matches a buddy let me try his minor load. Incredible difference. My times dropped significantly. Bought the gear and learned to load. Now have 2 Dillon 650's and just this week upgraded to 2011's. Learn to load now before you get into the 2011.

+1 reloader first. You don't save much reloading 9mm but a 125gr on some Clays is SWWEEETTTT!!!!

You say you're doing 3-gun so 5.56 will show more savings.

I say this especially if you're happy with your G34. You actually have to clean other brands of guns!?!?

DNH

+1 on reloading first. I got into this game in January of this year and I shoot a Glock 34 (I shoot USPSA and 3 gun.) In may I picked up Dillon 650 and love loading on it. My times, and more importantly, my ability, has improved dramatically once I started to shoot ammo crafted for my gun. IMHO it's as critical as a good set of sights and a good trigger.

In a few years, when I buy another gun for USPSA, I'll add a caliber to the 650.

Side note- I constantly waffle aboutt he Glock/2011 platform. I do like the 2011 trigger more. I have a Glockworx trigger on my 34 and although it's outstanding it isn't as good as a 2011. What I do love about the glock is the weight. The gun is VERY easy to move around and manuver. I've borrowed a few 2011s and I'm concerned with (for me anyways) how much slower it is to wave the gun around.

So I haven't gotten into reloading yet, but I was thinking about the possibility of getting a 2011. Are there some 2011's on the market that run factory ammo better than others? How about tuning...can a 2011 be tuned well for factory ammo? I got bitten badly by the 3 gun bug and was thinking about a STI Edge in 9mm.

I've been shooting a glock 34 and I've been really happy with it, but who doesn't need another blaster?

The smart money is on learning to load your own ammo before getting into the 2011 world. But you don't want to hear that do you? Do what makes you happy, just don't expect this crowd to validate it.

Another vote for getting into reloading first. I started shortly after putting together a custom 17L to squeeze as little recoil as possible out of that gun, and to afford myself to shoot more often. Don't let anyone lie to you and tell you you'll save money by reloading. You're money will go further buying components, but you'll end up shooting more and therefore, spending more. I can typically reload pistol cartridges for about half that of buying factory loads. I have been buying reman Freedom .223 because it's a penny or two per round more than me buying rifle cartridge components.

Malcom,

I just got a new custom Cameron's 9-Major gun last week. Yesterday I spent 5 hours on the range with a chronograph working on a load for it. Without the ability to load your own I can't imagine attempting that with unknown ammo. I used one bullet brand/weight and only two different powders. I will have several more sessions before I find a load best suited for the fun. Loading will teach you a different side to the shooting game. Get your feet wet loading for the guns you have now then venture in to the 2011 world.

I agree with the idea to start reloading first. I just got into USPSA this year. I was buying the least expensive ammo that I could. It figured up to about 40 cents per round. I was fortunate enough to be able to borrow a Dillon press. I am now loading rounds for about 13 cents a piece. I have saved over $500 this summer alone, and we don't shoot a lot in this area. The savings will pay for the press.

My shooting became more consistent when I started reloading. I have been shooting an XDm. I was able to shoot a fellow competitor's STI at a match a couple of weeks ago. I was amazed at how much better I shot with it. Shooting a 2011 with a quality load is very satisfying, but I think good consistent ammo will make the 2011 worth it. Factory ammo may not make the gun seem as good as you want.

If you don't load and you want to buy a $2500 gun, your priorities are messed up. Getting a press will allow you to shoot a lot more.

I also disagree with those who say that loading long isn't necessary for an STI. Mine will feed factory ammunition but it's a long way to that chamber and you're just asking for malfunctions.

I'll be the one to disagree with the chorus. To a point.

If you can afford to buy a press and can find powder you should. However, don't let the lack of a press keep you from am awesome gun. There are plenty of cheap factory 9mm that are at 125-130 power factor and would feel great in a 2011. I shot factory 40 at Multi-gun Nationals this year because I couldn't get powder to load my own.

I'll take a 2011 with factory ammo over a Glock with handloads any day of the week.

Just buy both. Reloading bayou or bbi bullets and buying once fired brass will save more than enough money to pay for the press after probably 5k rounds so it almost like the press is free since it pays for itself. The only down side is if you buy both at the same time you are making a higher initial investment.

Edited by bigfish

• 2 weeks later...

9mm minor has the lowest reloading return on investment. One can get it for under 200 these days. It will cost about 100 to 120 to load it with your own brass. If you only shoot a couple of thousand a year it's not worth it. You would have to reload 8 to 10 to recoup the cost of a good reloading setup