Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How do you remove case lube post loading?

igolfat8

I load .380, 9mm, .40 and .45 calibers and always use One Shot as a case lube. I put a couple hundred cases into a Zip Lock, spray case lube in the baggie for 1 second, shake the baggie for a few seconds to coat the cases and then cycle through my 550b. When my catch box is full I place the loaded rounds into Frankford Arsenal ammo boxes, The cases just feel sticky and gummy and it never seems to go away or dry up. Is this just normal for OneShot or should I try a different case lube? If you experience the same problem how do you clean your cases after loading? Its a real pain to wipe each one down afterwards.

I use One Shot lube and never remove it from the cases once they are loaded. They dont feel sticky or gummy..how much lube are you using?

As others have stated there is nothing wrong with tumbling to remove lube. A quick 15-20 minutes in corn cob treated with Nufinish and mineral spirits does wonders.

Just started a run of 45ACP on Dillon 550B. Went to case lube to smooth out ops. Liked it immensely. Neat!!

Tried your tumbler ideas using corn cob grit from Wal Mart ( that is very large mesh size ) and it cleaned up a tray of 50 reloads in 5 minutes of tumble.

I switched from walnut media to this grade of corn cub last week for general brass cleaning to try and avoid the dusting of walnut media (inherent fines). I found it did a very nice cleaning job inside and polishing outside with Nu Polish in same time or less than Walnut. So I went back and re polished 1500 cases of 45 ACP with 1-2 hour batch tumbles to get a brighter finish than with walnut.

It takes longer to start and stop than it does to just lube them all.

A friend of mine has a device that lubes cases as they drop down the feed tube, that would be the direction I went if squirting 3 or 4 pumps into 3-4 hundred cases laying in a cardboard box lid was more effort than I was willing to spend.

Is it possible you could be using too much?

I have used a light application of One Shot Case Lube (aerosol) for many years and never felt the need to clean it off. A quick spray into a Tupperware or a Ziploc containing a small batch of clean brass and shake, shake...load. I use it for all sizing dies..including carbide dies. Use just enough to smooth out operations.

I never clean off case lube.

I tried to tumble loaded rounds once in corn cob to make them shiny and they got a corn cob granule stuck in each hollow point. :angry:

Never really saw the point anyway.

One thing I have done is to wipe them in a silicone rag after loading. Makes 'em feel slicker. Still do that occasionally but don't think it's a real issue.

I lay the completed rounds on a cloth fender cover (it's like a beach towel that the uniform company will launder), then I spray with an alcohol based brake cleaner. Once wet, I grab two corners of the of towel in each hand and and alternately lift and lower each side, letting the rounds tumble in the center. They come out totally clean and it only takes a minute. I use way more lube than Dillon suggests, so stickiness is a problem for me if I don't clean as a final step. I use Dillon case lube and Wurth brake cleaner.

Tumbling them in walnut won't hurt them. After matches or practice, I usually pull out loaded rounds I picked up before I clean my brass. On a few occasions, I have found live rounds in my tumbler that have been running for 3-4 hours.

I don't bother to remove my case lube from my pistol ammo though; it makes no difference to leave it on.

I have shot thousands and thousands of rounds that still had lube on them, that were loaded the night before or in the morning of match day. If I am loading it in advance and it is going to sit for a while, that is when I post load tumble. Lube has a tendency to stick things to the case that otherwise would not.