Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What rear sights are you all using Weigland / Bowen ?

tiger49931

Hello im still playing with my 627 PC 5" and my 625 JM 4" and my 686 SSR 4". A gentleman i shoot with has recently told me that one of the first things he does is throw out the Smith & Wesson rear sight and replace it with a bowen rough country or at the least the weigland sight replacement piece. anyone use these pieces ? any preference one over the other ? reasons? I know i am probably opening a can of worms as guns are very personal and i know that but i have changed every auto i own to the dawson Fiber front and STi adj rear. just got the Dawson precision fiber for my revo's but was wondering if its worth it to change the rear?

After using the Wiegand rear blade for a year and a half I'm back to a stock blade. The Wiegand gives a nice sight picture, but is far too fragile. Twice it bent down causing my gun to shoot low. When I removed it, it was cracked where it fits onto the sight body.

I now modify the factory blades to fit my tastes. I have not used a Bowen, but I'm curious. I prefer a .140 rear notch with a .125 front. I do not know if I can get this with a Bowen rear.

Edited for spelling.

Edited by PatJones

Factory rear here, but the 929 should return soon with the Apex rear upgrade. Will give review soon.

apex is making rear blades again?

I run a weigland on my iron sight guns, but i've had a bowen on back order for what seems like 10 months now, I should probably follow up with them about that.

I run a bowen on my 610 and a wiegand blade on my 627. Haven't really decided which one I like better, but IMO I think both are better than stock. I like the sight picture a lot better over the factory rear sight.

On my 627 .38 super I went from stock blade to the Weigand blade. I liked it well enough. Good sight picture, I did notice up and down movement of the sight but never could specifically blame it for any accuracy issues. Then one match day I took the gun out the bag and the sight fell off. Don't know if I'd banged it, maybe multiple times, or it just wore out.

I replaced it with a bowen rough country. I really like it. It screws on with 2 screws whereas the stock/weigand only had one screw. Seems to make it really secure. And the windage adjustment is a little funky, you have to loosen a screw on one side and then tighten it on the other to move the sight. But I think that gives it a lot of stability too.

Don't remember to whom I talked at Bowen but i told him I was a little panicked because when the weigand broke, the IRC was the next month. He told me he thought they had some in stock but if they didn't he would go back to the shop and make me one. Nice! Turned out they had some in stock.

Btw, I have a protocol fo front sight. Really like it because it has a thinner fiber that's not too bright/distracting to my eye.

Tiger, you can find warren and protocol in the dealer forum here on enos.

I really like the Bowen sights and have them on several guns. They are available in several blade configurations or an over-sized, blank rear blade for customization. They do not have the ease of adjustment of the factory sight and I'd recommend using thread locker on the windage screws once it is sighted-in.

I ordered a Bowen Rough Country on June 11 ... still no product or ETA.

I've followed up twice:

1st. response: "We hope to have a fresh batch of parts ready for shipment in the next 30-60 days."

2nd response a month later: "I am sorry, but we are still waiting on parts from our supplier. We do not have a date as to when your order will be ready."

I ordered a Bowen Rough Country on June 11 ... still no product or ETA.

I've followed up twice:

1st. response: "We hope to have a fresh batch of parts ready for shipment in the next 30-60 days."

2nd response a month later: "I am sorry, but we are still waiting on parts from our supplier. We do not have a date as to when your order will be ready."

I THINK I placed my order sometime in march, it's been so long I forgot. But i'm pretty sure I ordered it in anticipation for revolver nationals in May.

Followed up with it last week ( among other times ) Same story.