Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New AR trigger recommendations

Looking to replace my mil spec trigger on my 3 gun rifle.. I'm looking at the CMC Flat 3.5 & Geissele Super Dynamic 3 gun... Thoughts on them? Is the AR gold worth it? Kinda a newb but don't like buying twice...

Looking to replace my mil spec trigger on my 3 gun rifle.. I'm looking at the CMC Flat 3.5 & Geissele Super Dynamic 3 gun... Thoughts on them? Is the AR gold worth it? Kinda a newb but don't like buying twice...

I bought an argold early on, that was years ago, but it is awesome.

There are a lot of choices now for sure...

I have an AR Gold and a Geissele regular S3G in two separate rifles. I prefer the AR Gold because it feels very close to my trigger in my 2011 and there is a defined 2nd stage. The S3G is nice for up close hoser stages. But, on long range it is..... different. The lack of a defined 2nd stage prior to the trigger break means you really can't prep the trigger for the long shots. After shooting a couple of matches with 500 yard shots, I stopped using the S3G and started using the AR Gold exclusively

Also since the S3G doesn't have the defined 2nd stage, it is very easy to bump fire when shooting from some awkward positions or from a bench when you are shooting relaxed with your support hand on the sandbag.

I use the CMC "flat" and like it. Think, for the dollar spent, the CMCs are the best deal going.

CMC and be done with it!

I absolutely love my AR Gold but you can't beat the CMC for the price and S3G is way overrated. Buy the CMC and spend the rest of that trigger budget on ammo or if you reload, ammo components. CMC is better than the S3G and almost as good as my JP.

I have the curved CMC and have been very happy with it. And I know that they'll stand behind their product. I've tried the geisselle and its just not my style. Haven't tried the AR Gold so I can't give you any input on that one. I think the CMC is a really good value.

What do you like in a trigger? They are a lot of great triggers, but they are all apples to oranges. No one is necessarily better than the other.

Hyperfire is probably the lightest, with shortest reset and overtravel, but maintaining fasted lock time, and has a solid robust design. Its single stage. You can get a straight or curved trigger (pending what you like, and if you ride the bottom, or are a straight puller). It has what I call a "dead" reset, so its not a trigger you ride the reset up on, but rather let your finger lift to reset and press again.

Geissele has a whole lot of options. The key thing with their triggers is you don't really hear about them breaking. They are solid, robust, and high quality. They offer flat or curved triggers. You can get a high speed hammer. One or two stage. Their S3G trigger isn't adjustable, but is easy to drop in and run like a CMC or cassette trigger, yet is more robust. It has a very positive reset, you can ride forward, much like a Glock trigger. They are easy to bump fire with because of it.

Geissele also offers an excellent 2-stage trigger, called the Super Tricon trigger with a flat trigger shoe. I don't like 2-stage for 3-gun, even those long shots, but its the only 2-stage trigger I would consider if I were to use one. They offer other two stage competition triggers with high speed hammers, that are better two stage trigger for precision rifle competitions. If you want a two stage trigger, geissele is your best choice. If you want a positive resetting single stage trigger, again your best choice. They really have a lot of options.

CMC triggers are easy, fast, everything is set, and you don't have to worry if there is a slight tolerance difference in your lower's pin alignment. Every pull is just as consistent as the last. Its a good trigger, and I have one, but IMHO, it just doesn't compare to the hyperfire.

I don't own, and haven't used an AR Gold, so I'm leaving comments to others. Same with Timney or Wilson. I have felt them in others peoples guns, and they are comparable to each other in different aspects.

Eventually someone will also mention JP. JP is a great trigger, but only if you have someone who knows what they are doing install it. I have a JP in my JP from JP. Its kinda like an adjustable trigger with a similar feel to the S3G, with less positive reset, but more than the hyper touch. Its very smooth though. There is not crisp "jerk" in the crisp break to pull your shot.

RRA makes a "decent" two stage, but its nothing to write home about. Its made for service rifle competition, so its over 4.5lbs overall. Its not worth the money, and doesn't even come close to a geissele two stage.

Bushmaster actually has one of the best adjustable 2 stage triggers I've ever felt. It comes in their DCM rifle. The first stage takes up 4 pounds of the pull weight, and the last stage breaks the remaining half pound. I think with a reduced power spring kit, this would actually make an awesome trigger. Comparable with the geissele, but with a different stage weight ratio. More first and less second.

Everyone likes different triggers. Only good option is to try before you buy. Otherwise the good old trial and error method is the way to go. I personally only use JP installed enhanced reliability competition triggers. Not the lightest, not the coolest, but thats the one I like. Unfortunately triggers are like sex partners, everyone has a little different preferences, but when you get right down to it, most any can get the job done. (back to that try before you buy thing)

Edited by Stlhead

I would go to a local match and ask if you can try out different triggers. I found that I personally did not like the Geissele S3G triggers since it felt like it had a rolling break. I finally decided on the Timmney 3lbs trigger. I liked the single stage short break and reset for both close and distant targets. Of course, this is just what I found what worked for me the best.

Looking mainly for a nice light trigger pull with little take up and a short reset

JP is the one that fits this best.

That said, I have Timney, CMC, HiPer Fire 24C, Armalite 2 stage and the JP (normal, not EZ) All of them are good, but, different. My HiPer Fire pull and reset is longer than the JP, and not lighter either. As has been said, the CMC is a good unit, and the best bang for the buck. The Timney is good too, but, will not light off Hornady Steel Match .308 ammo, at all. The Armalite was used when I shot Service Rifle, then in my 6.5 Grendel, and currently in my LR308, after the Timney 308 model wouldn't fire the Steel Match.

I have a Geissele Super Dynamic 3g. It does not feel anything like the triggers in my hunting or LR rifles, ther is no defined 'break' point. Yet, I can hit targets out to 500 with no problems, at least no problems to do with the trigger.

All of the above mentioned triggers will probably work fine for 3 gun. If I were buying now I'd get the cheapest one and put the extra money into the optic.

Personally I recommend the CMC 3.5lb flat trigger for several reasons. First reason being that the pull is crisp and clean with zero take-up. This makes for quick double taps and the groups stay really tight. Secondly, the installation is a breeze. It should realistically take 5 minutes or less, and once it's in there is no adjustment necessary. Thirdly, the shoe on the bottom of the trigger makes for a perfect finger placement every time. I simply place the pad of your finger on the trigger, and slide down to the shoe/stop. Because of this you get a consistent pull at the exact same length and poundage. Fourth, they include the anti-walk pins in the package, which most companies charge you $20-25 for after you spend $200 on their trigger.

Last but not least, the entire CMC crew is awesome - Jack, Jennifer, the rest of the group are all great people who treat others right. It's been a pleasure getting to use their products and working with them.

-Reub

I used to really push the J.P. trigger, and accepted the Gold trigger. Now I don't!! You see I don't have to, as you eventually you will end up with one or the other.

Agreed. There are lots of great triggers out there and I have certainly not tried them all. Several years ago now, I tried several and liked the AR Gold the best with the JP a close second. Those are the two that wow'd me. All of my rifles now have AR Gold, for consistency sake and I just go shoot. I like the JP because it feels tight in the chassis and custom fit... because it is. I like the AR Gold because of the short, crisp, glass like break and really short reset. Most like my 1911's. I also like the secondary safety in the AR Gold.

I though, honestly wouldn't spend tons of time and money trying all of the different triggers. Spend a few weeks trying the ones you have access to, pick one and go with it. Trigger time is really the most important factor. Honestly... CMC, Jard, JP, AR Gold, Hyperfire are all terrific. Pick one and get to the range.

I ran SD3G for quite a while. Very comfortable with it and got hits out at long range with it.

However, I found it easier to get hits at long range with the AR Gold because I felt I had better control of when I wanted to send the shot versus the guessing game break of the SD3G, and it is plenty fast of course for the hose stuff.

If all I was doing was hoser bays, then I wouldn't have spent the money to switch to the AR Gold, likely just staying with the SD3G or a Hiperfire.

(I have no opinion on the CMC, Timney, JP since I have not run them)

Trigger time is really the most important factor. Pick one and get to the range.

Yes. Definitely, yes.

Edited by AustinWolv