Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

budget scope mount.

Dewberry

So I'm kind of confused as to why scope mounts are so expensive. I don't need a QD mount or anything fancy. I just want it to hold my 30mm Burris xtr 1-4. Any suggestions for quality on a budget?

Thanks in advance guys.

I'm actually interested in this same question as well. There's a smoking deal on the Burris PEPR mount for under $60. I was wondering if anyone had experience with the durability of this mount, specifically on whether it can hold up to getting banged around during grounding.

Disclaimer: I am sponsored by Burris.

I don't have many sponsors and don't really actively seek them out for glory or $$$.

I actually bought my first TAC30 and P.E.P.R. (Proper Eye Position Ready) Mount at a discount form Burris to try for 3 gun.

Many MTAC, TAC30 and P.E.P.R. mounts later, I have not had ONE change zero or "go wonky" on me:

Match JP rifle, practice JP rifle, Nordic NC22 rifle, Frankengun w/ "toasty" JP upper, 6.5 Grendel.

I hit all the long range targets at RM3G this year out to 550 yds ("in the fullness of time...." on some but that's me, not the optic)

If the P.E.P.R. mounts didn't hold up, the scope/mount combo would start to show issues. None have for me.

"They'll do to ride the river with...."

ericm

Myself and my son have been using the Burris PEPR mounts on our rifles for going on almost 4 years with 2 different scopes with no change in zero or problems. We both started with Burris M-tacs and went to Vortex Razor HD's.

gerritm

nevermind, I just saw your earlier post. thats a great deal. I jut called my gun store and they had the regular 30mm ring PEPR mount for 98.95, and the one with the quick detach attachment for 120.

If you want a one piece inexpensive mount, the PEPR is a very good deal. It is a tad heavier than some others. My Burris Optics all sit in Warne SKEL mounts. Excellent value, light, holds zero.

However, not only do most not need QD, most don't need a one piece mount. Warne and Burris (and others) make AR height rings for the ARs. They cost less and work just as well.

I've run the Aero mount on one of my rifles for a few months and through 2 local matches and it's been solid so far. I'd like to beat on it a little while longer before saying "it's the best in the world", but I can tell you my experience with it so far has been positive. Super light weight. To this point has held zero. Seems to lock up rock solid to the scope and rail. The machine work on these mounts is beautiful. Finish is nice and even.

So far there are only two negatives. First, due to the design of the rings getting the reticle leveled may take a couple tries, just like the old Weaver style rings they clamp on one side and tend to roll the scope over a little as its tightened. Not really a big deal once it get it dialed in. Second, I ordered mine about a month before they came out with the extended version and I wish I would have waited. I could use just maybe 1/4" more eye relief for it to be perfect for me. FWIW, I'm a NTCH shooter, eye relief is really up to the individual and dependent on where you stick yer mellon. The one I have has more eye relief than the Warne mounts and just a touch under the Burris PEPR mount.

I also used to run the Burris PEPR mount on one rifle for almost 3 years of service before I changed that one out for a Larue mount. Blue Ridge 2012 I was carrying my bag out the truck on our second morning and accidentally tripped the quick release buckle on my gun bag. Well it worked and my bag went to the parking lot with my rifle and shotgun in it. No visible damage and everything seemed fine and after all it didn't fall "that" far. Well long story short, I totally tanked 2 stages before heading all the way to the other end of the Rock were the zero range was to put it on paper. Sure as hell I was 2 min low and 2 min left, four clicks up and right and I was back to zero. Never moved again, till I swapped it out for the Larue almost a year later. Now in that case my POI might have moved if it my scope was welded directly to the receiver, I'll never know. I think it's a good mount, but I just never really had confidence in it after that.

• 3 weeks later...

Did you consider stance and shooting style? I stick my nose all up in the charging handles business and needed a mount that would accommodate me. The extra extended vortex (3" offset iirc) was the least expensive option I had and so far it's held my scope exactly where I left it last. Oh I think swfa has a reasonably priced standard length unit that is supposed to be good for the price.