Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Open gun and slide glide lite

cnote

Anyone use it on their open gun, and if so does it cause any issues with slow cycling or failures.

I love it for limited , etc, and just want to hear any experiences.

The gun is new, Doug jones rails and tight as can be ......

New gun might want to ask the smith what he recommends to break it in.

Bedell says use a gun lube for the first 1000 or so rounds then go to Mobil 1 or similar.

Just a thought

I have been having problems breaking in a new slide on my open gun. To tight on lock up maybe but I had it slobbering with mobile 1 Friday and still had to tap the slide a few times. Broke out some slide glide light and put it on rails, hood and lugs and shot it all weekend without issue

With all the firearm related lube products on the market these days is there a big advantage to using products like Mobil-1 or tranny fluid over one designed for guns?

I wouldn't go out and buy a quart of Mobil 1 for my gun, but if you have it it works. I think FP 1 is the ticket, but whatever works is the ticket.

I have used Mobil 1 on several of my open guns for quite some time without any issues, until I got a new SVI gun. Brandon told me to use Slide Glide... I thought: oil is oil is oil, so I used Mobil 1.

The gun refused to work well, so I followed Brandon's advice and bought Slide Glide... the gun started working as it should.

Don't ask me why, I am just reporting it here. Brandon says liquid oil will not hold under the pressure of an Open gun. I don't know whether this is correct or not, all I know there CAN be BIG difference in operation.

yeah I agree it's worth a try.

I use it on my production guns and now on my open gun too (tanfoglio eric custom V12, 38 super).

however I probably wouldn't use it on a brand new custom gun. I'd use whatever the builder recommends, or if no info I'd use an oil for at least the first 500 rounds.

then go to slide glide lite on the rails and barrel lugs and then oil on sear etc (basically wherever else you need lube).

my tanfog has a very light slide (4 big coffin cuts on the top, fairly low profile to start with, hogged out for cone comp etc) and the slide glide hasn't hurt slide speed. it might if you were shooting minor loads for steel challenge though...

personally I love the stuff. :)

Lubriplate SFL-1 is like Slide Glide, only better, cheaper, and works in the winter. Never used it on a tight fitting slide though, but I would think it would be fine. I used it on my shotguns, and all my pistols from -10F to 110F.