Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

45acp small primer

mannparks

I think the small primers are used in the 'less toxic' variety of ammo initially and use a different type of primer compound. Otherwise when reloaded I see about a 5 - 10fps difference between large primers. Never had any issues with them except when running thu a progressive press if not sorted beforehand it brings your press to a grinding halt. I put them aside untill i have 500-1000 and then do a batch with small primer.

i think the trend is to move all 45 acp ammo to SP primers by ammo factories. Easier on logistic as only one primer is needed for the commodity rounds like 9/40/45/38. I don't see any negatives to it other than its a pain in the arse sorting them. When i find one i out it to the side and when i get enough i load them up for stuff like lost brass matches and shooting in the woods where i don't expect to get them back.

The small primer 45's did come about because of the lead free primers.

Lead free primers are more brisant than lead styphnate primers, and deliver more thrust to the breech. There were occurrences of the breech face peening (damage).

The first attempt to eliminate the peening was to enlarge the flash hole, thereby reducing the back thrust.

Then some manufacturers went ot small primers to reduce the area the primer would affect. Some also crimped the primers to prevent their setting back against the breech.

I've been away from it for a while now, but I expect they will see increased use. As mentioned above, the logistic - economics of one primer has appeal. Just as the CCI Blazer is now seeing Boxer primers instead of the Berdan they used to have.

Guy

Just keep them separated. Use them when you get enough to load a thousand. As everyone says, a real PITA if you mix them up. Have to sort and I still get one in the mix every now an then. Seeing more small pistol primers in brass.

That would be a range to really avoid - although I'm not sure he is referring to steel S&Bs or SP .45 ???

SP .45. We would let you shoot, but would inspect your ammo first. Second offense gets you a night in the Hoover PD jail.

• 1 month later...

SPP 45acp is the devil's work!

It is a pain to sort... and heaven forbid one gets past when running a batch of LPP's. I used to trade the brass off, but gave up and now just load it. The performance difference between LPP & SPP 45acp is pretty small.