Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Age and realistic goals

Just4FunLP

I'm 51 years old and have been shooting matches for about a year now. Currently Im still a C shooter, but I hope that I'll make B in a couple of months. I really love this sport. The matches are fun, and practice is just as, if not actually more enjoyable.

After shooting a match or practice session I can't help but wish that I had started this at an earlier age. I wonder if my body may start to give out before I can reach my peak.

I went to my first out of town club match this last weekend and on the way back I was wondering what I should be striving for. I really don't know anything about the match structure (if there is one), or how the bigger matches work. All I know is I go to club matches at least once a month, and my card has a C on it now and somehow life will be better when it says B. :)

The question is, what should a 51 year old "C" shooter be trying to accomplish? I'll definately have a good time, but setting and achieving goals are important for me. What are reasonable expectations?

I would love to hear the achievements of guys that started later in life, and how they're doing today.

Thanks

I'm a year older than you, and been shooting for a year longer. My goal is to improve. That's really the only thing I can control. I'm currently a B, and getting close to A, so I definitely have a short-term goal of making A, but the main point is to simply continue to improve. If I do that, the classification and match results will take care of themselves.

One important way to improve is to enter some bigger matches.

Another important way to improve is practice regularly and constantly critique and review your practice methods to make sure whay you are doing is actually working.

Edited by motosapiens

Practice the stuff you don't like to do. Could be steel at long range or precision shooting at 25 yards, or swingers. If you don't like to do a particular aspect of shooting-that is probably what you need to practice.

Friend of mine and I are Seniors (a lot closer to 60 than 50). He has been knocked around in various and sundry sports and has the scars and joints to prove it. He just started shooting USPSA a couple years back and just recently made Master. He's not a paper master either, finishing up there with the local young guns, including other masters in our division (Production), pretty consistently.

I have shot USPSA for twenty years, and have made A in a couple divisions. I haven't had the focus to push to M, and have various little physical annoyances that make it harder. Still, I manage to beat my friend on occasion, usually finish in the top half or third of the all division overalls, and can even take the occasional first in division at club matches.

So you can go well beyond a B card if you set yourself to it. How you do it? Well, the path is different for each of us, but there is plent of good advice here. My two bits would be to 1) master the fundamentals, 2).develop all the pertinent skills so you have no real weaknesses, 3) set goals and track your progress in order to accomplish the first two, 4) remember that you don't have to be the first or fastest on any given stage to win the match, if winning is your goal, and 5) remember to have fun, whether you win or not.

Welcome, and enjoy the journey.

53 and I want to be a GM one of these days. Don't know if I'll make it or not but that's the goal. I'm kind of torn at the moment though as I shoot USPSA and am the MD for steel challenge. I really like shooting steel. While I know the skills are gain by practicing apply to both I wonder if I would be better off to concentrate on one shooting discipline over the other.

I started shooting USPSA when I was 65 and now I am 71. I walk about three miles at a fast pace for cardio, at least 4 days a week. I do light weights just to keep my muscles toned.

I am a B class in Production (A-63252). I have made 1/3 size targets and I have them hanging all over my basement, and I dry fire at least 3 times a week for 30 minutes plus. When you dry fire practice call every shot. Take a look at Ben Stoeger book on Dry Fire Practice.

Sight Picture

Trigger Control

The Draw

Shooting While Moving

NEVER STOP LEARNING

I'm starting to feel the signs of Uncle Arthur in my hands. My goal for now is B card in USPSA and Expert in IDPA. After I reach that goal (hopefully next year) I'll set a new goal. Dryfire does help alot, just don't forget to practice weak hand too. It doesn't come up too much in local matches but when it does...it kills my score.

I started later in life as well (33), and I think the same thing... If I had started at 21 I would be a GM by now! But I just try to improve every week. It seems simple, and almost cliche, but as long as you do that, you're doing the right thing. Stay safe, move quick, shoot true and VIDEO THE WHOLE THING! Documented footage is the best way to see where you need work, and where it's working! Cheers

I didn't choose the Glock life, the Glock life chose ME.

I'm 51 and I have a least 15 HOA at locals this year and at least one 2nd/3rd in class at majors so far this year? Winning M Open at a major takes a pretty good performance in all areas since its a pretty skill filled class.

I have won before and not and know winning takes an extra amount of committment of time and money to achieve.

Does age matter? At this point no. Now I am spending as much time working out physically as shooting since I have to run with 22 year olds and it is taking me longer to get in shape. So what. Got notice from my app that midway through this year I have rode 250 miles on my bike and burned 15K cals This winter caused me a late start and I would have liked at least 25% more

GM/M requires no flaws in your game to win so no excuses. Most of this applies to other classes too.

Oh forgot I started this shooting when most people on here were in junior high school so I have a headstart on shooting skills. Read above. No excuses though. If you want to move up, make a plan, DO the plan.

Edited by BSeevers

I'm 62 and permanently disabled. Have been at this for 3 years 2 months and am a B in 4 divisions. Should be going to A class in Production soon. Nice thing about this sport is that it gives me the incentive to work out so that I can compete. Some days are better than others depending on what body part decides not to cooperate. They call me a sandbagger because my classifiers range from 48% to 89%. LOL

I think how well you do depends on personal desire. Just make sure you have fun doing it so you don't burn out and quit.

I'm 51 and I have a least 15 HOA at locals this year and at least one 2nd/3rd in class at majors so far this year? Winning M Open at a major takes a pretty good performance in all areas since its a pretty skill filled class.

I have won before and not and know winning takes an extra amount of committment of time and money to achieve.

Does age matter? At this point no. Now I am spending as much time working out physically as shooting since I have to run with 22 year olds and it is taking me longer to get in shape. So what. Got notice from my app that midway through this year I have rode 250 miles on my bike and burned 15K cals This winter caused me a late start and I would have liked at least 25% more

GM/M requires no flaws in your game to win so no excuses. Most of this applies to other classes too.

Oh forgot I started this shooting when most people on here were in junior high school so I have a headstart on shooting skills. Read above. No excuses though. If you want to move up, make a plan, DO the plan.

This is the key. What kind of physical shape are you in? Spend more time working out than you do dry firing, a lot more. Do both, but workout. Strength, speed, endurance training. In the end, the physical fitness will be more valuable than the game skill anyway. I am 44 and I practice what I preach. I am a production master. But even better, I am in GOOD shape. :-)

I'm 54 soon to be "Double Nickels". Bought my first pistol in Jan 2013. Shot my first IDPA match in Oct 2013 and first USPSA match in Dec 2013. Currently Sharpshooter and C class respectively. Should move to B by end of summer. I've seen the most improvement when I started dry fire practice and live fire with a purpose. Using Ben Stoeger's books for drills and guidance. I've shot one Class 2 match and actually shot with Ben Stoeger in my squad. I learned a lot watching him analyze and prep a stage. Shooting, like anything else in life, you will get out of it what you are willing to put into it. Keep your body in shape and age won't matter, much! Most of all have fun and laugh often!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You guys are right about the working out. I started going to the gym after I started having forearm pain thinking I could strengthen my way out of it. That idea didn't work so well for me, but I do feel better overall.

It's funny, I got busy at work and had to go out of town and kind of slacked off for about a month now and I can really feel the difference. It was good to layoff for a week or so to let a few aches and pains heal up, but now I'm feeling kind of weak. We'll see how I shoot this weekend. .....

I started shooting USPSA when I was 65 and now I am 71. I walk about three miles at a fast pace for cardio, at least 4 days a week. I do light weights just to keep my muscles toned.

I am a B class in Production (A-63252). I have made 1/3 size targets and I have them hanging all over my basement, and I dry fire at least 3 times a week for 30 minutes plus. When you dry fire practice call every shot. Take a look at Ben Stoeger book on Dry Fire Practice.

Sight Picture

Trigger Control

The Draw

Shooting While Moving

NEVER STOP LEARNING

Love this post

At 59 I have toyed with this excuse. Problem is I have had the same steady (read as slow) progression since I was first classified as a 32% D shooter 7 years ago. Just made A in Limited. I do think age can bring along some physical crap that makes the game more difficult. Bad vision, hands that don't work like they are supposed to, stuff like that. Now, granted it isn't like I started in my 20s so who knows, maybe Grauffel would be looking for excuses as to why he couldn't beat me if I had. I seriously doubt it though.

In the end though I went back to why I shoot. Its fun and I like to improve. When I have strayed from that and sought happiness in attaining the next class it was alway a disappointment and I found myself frustrated much more than I should be for a hobby that I put a fair amount of money into. I also get to shoot with some of the best in the game here in Phoenix. I don't see any happier folks there. Some are, some aren't but arguably most are less happy than my C class wife who just loves to get out there and shoot. I've learned quite a bit from her attitude and approach. I ended up deciding that for me at least looking to measure my success in this sport/hobby by how I finish or what class I attain was leaning my ladder against the wrong wall. Strive to improve, enjoy the thrill of the sport and the company of my friends. It certainly works for me. YMMV.

Anyone can make M or GM with the right focus in a couple of years. It's all about doing the right things.

Shoot often, challenge your self, and study the game.

Don't be afraid to fail.

I'm 59 and been shooting this game since 1984. Had an M card since the mid90's. It doesn't get any easier, in fact, I believe it gets harder to maintain that level of performance. Shoot a lot more 3 gun than pistol anymore. Let's face it-the facts are there. Eyesight goes, strength goes, reflexes went, health declines, etc. only positive is you end up having more time and more money to blow on the sport. As long as it's still fun, it's worth it. It does take a bit of eating one's pride as you watch your performance decline, though.

At 64 years old I have had to rethink whether or not to continue USPSA shooting. I have two knees that are bone on bone along with hereditary neuropathy. I cannot run or even jog for that matter.. Getting up and down for low ports is impossible. Through all of this I still enjoy shooting and still have the desire to compete.

I have decided to quit shooting USPSA matches and concentrate on Steel Challenge, ICORE (much less movement) and Bianchi Cup..

When you get older or have serious physical problems you need to make an honest assessment of what you are capable of doing and move on to matches where you cab be competitive.

Hello: Set a goal you can achieve. That may be a simple as placing higher than the guy who usually beats you. Put that carrot out there and catch it. Have fun with the sport as soon as it becomes work you will not want to do it anymore. Practice with a purpose and shoot as many different matches as you can. Try designing a stage for a local match that will give you problems. This last one many will not agree with me on, try different guns to see what you enjoy shooting the most. For me it is open, limited, single stack and revolver. Thanks, Eric