Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Low cost bullets for Major?

Boyeraz

At this point, everything that is in-stock is going to be expensive.

You can try some of the better plated bullets like Rainier or Frontier. They might be SLIGHTLY cheaper, (not by much though.)

You might try (less dot movement, and a little cheaper)

the 115 gr JHP. :cheers:

But you end up using more powder, and powder is even HARDER to find in-stock than bullets right now!

Edited by Parallax3D

Lots of open shooters overseas shoot the Hi-Tek coated lead with great results and no problems

I've been testing SnS HiTek coated bullets and have had good results so far with no problems

The BUT is

I've not checked accuracy past 25 yds and I've always had problems with plated past 25 never shorter distance. Maybe nest trip with theplated I'll shoot them at 50 and see what happens

Agreed. I just went from 124mg to 115mg and I like it a lot. Plus you get an extra 250 bullets (compared to 124s). Coated bullets are cheaper, but I'm just too lazy to clean the comp after every match. Edited by klee

I prefer MG BUT ive seen alot of guys lately using xtreme plated. Ive asked them about excessive copper/lead buildup and they have said it was not an issue. One guy consistantly shoots 180PF loads with them.

Hello: I am not sure if you are really saving that much by using plated bullets? If you figure out how many rounds you shoot in a year, what are you really saving? A typical local match is 100-150 rounds so that may save you $1-$3. Using a car that gets better gas milage will save you more than that. Buying in bulk is the way to buy bullets. The more you buy the cheaper they are. Get a group together and buy 20,000 or more at a time and you will save more. Just my thoughts. Thanks, Eric

Agreed. I just went from 124mg to 115mg and I like it a lot. Plus you get an extra 250 bullets (compared to 124s). Coated bullets are cheaper, but I'm just too lazy to clean the comp after every match.

+1 on the laziness stated above haha.

I use 124 JHP from both MG and Xtreme. When I buy MG I always buy at least a case, $368 / 3750 otherwise the cost is prohibitive. Xtreme you can buy 500 for $42.40 Buying that way the MG run you just under .10 and the Xtreme 8.5 cents. I find the performance of both to be excellent and notice no difference. If you don't want to buy a case at a time of MG I would definitely use the Xtremes. They can easily handle the PF, even with the 115gr.

Lots of open shooters overseas shoot the Hi-Tek coated lead with great results and no problems

The power factor is also lower for them. Easier to use those kind of bullets when you don't have to push them as fast.

• 1 month later...

I have been shooting ibejihead coated bullets thru my open gun. I have been happy with the accuracy. The comp does get a little dirty but the bore had stayed clean. I was spraying the comp with wd40 before and after I shoot, but now I.just throw the barrel in a ultrasonic cleaner.

Currently I am using 7.8g of hs6 with a 124g bullet. It runs about 168pf. I have used everything from this to 9.5 hs6 with a mg 115. The difference in recoil wasn't enough to be worth the extra cost of the mg