Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Red Dot Focus - Target or Dot?

JPG

Still trying how best to aim with the open gun.

For those who have read BE's book, you know about the different shooting focal points. These all make perfect sense for guns with iron sights.

Should this change when shooting open with a red dot? Take 'Type 3' focus for example, where the idea is to focus on your sight and not your target. When using a red dot, is it better to focus on your dot, or should you always focus on your target and the dot just "appear" on the target?

• 3 weeks later...

it definitely target focus if using a red dot sight (RDS).

A guy I know recently shot with a top shooter in the states. His NPA, muscle memory and shot calling is now at the point where he can turn the dot off, draw, acquire and blaze at an array and still hit all A's. that tells me he is basically all target focus and the dot is just confirming he's doing his stuff right.

for the rest of us we are no doubt aware of the dot, but I guess it's more looking at the target and bringing the dot into that visual picture. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I have seen some people mention they know where the dot is at all times within the sight glass. I can't do this because during recoil the dot leaves the glass window but then returns to rocus after recoil. How do you guys see the dot or do you lose it momentarily during recoil?

I have seen some people mention they know where the dot is at all times within the sight glass. I can't do this because during recoil the dot leaves the glass window but then returns to rocus after recoil. How do you guys see the dot or do you lose it momentarily during recoil?

With the center fire gun I lose the dot momentarily but if I keep my focus on the targets and moving to the next one I don't notice the dot moving as much. Sometimes I find myself looking for the dot instead of the target, that's usually when I start missing plates.

• 4 months later...