Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Short range rifle practice/drils

Throwing fast pairs with a 223 is pretty easy to learn. So for me it's all about transitions and keeping the gun running. So in that respect... it's pretty much the same stuff you would do with your pistol for IPSC practice. Shooting on the move, floating through windows, shooting targets as you are already leaning out to take a step. Push the transitions hard. If you watch the top guys, the ones who win and the ones with the fastest transitions and hit their targets the first time... every time. I like the V-Drill, but it's eats ammo fast, so I'd advise getting an AR-22 to help with the ammo expense.

throwing one head shot on an array of 3 or more targets and calling the shot, at 30-50yds.

shooting 1" dots on an ipsc target, 6 to 8 dots per target, place the dots in a clock type configuration 12,3,6,9,ish type, have a friend tell you which pairs to shoot as the buzzer goes off, from 15-25yds, accept only those shots that are within 1/2" of the dot or less. it works on speed, accuracy, transitions, memory, and does wonders for getting you used to working with your sight offset.

Trapr

• 2 weeks later...

Are there any good short range rifle practice drills people use?

Short rifle.. 20-40 yards.. I just suck at...

Buy Ben Stoeger's book "Skills and Drills" and set up those drills for rifle. Almost all the drills can be used for short range rifle with a little modification. Add a little distance, shorten the par time etc.

Dot drill works for sure. I also buy the small USPSA targets that are1/3 size and put them at 30-40 yards or so and work on transitions making sure to put two on paper. This forces you to watch your dot/crosshairs while trying to shoot fast. I will often put my 22LR conversion in to save money.

My short targets and long targets are just fine. I suck at 90-110 yards. I have got serious issues at this distance.

I am going to practice my stance, mount and follow through.

Matt Burkett has a YouTube AR15 session at the USPSA Jr camp. I am going to try his suggestions.

• 3 weeks later...

throwing one head shot on an array of 3 or more targets and calling the shot, at 30-50yds.

shooting 1" dots on an ipsc target, 6 to 8 dots per target, place the dots in a clock type configuration 12,3,6,9,ish type, have a friend tell you which pairs to shoot as the buzzer goes off, from 15-25yds, accept only those shots that are within 1/2" of the dot or less. it works on speed, accuracy, transitions, memory, and does wonders for getting you used to working with your sight offset.

Trapr

This is really good! I've been trying to figure out a good drill for close, fast, offset stuff. Thanks for the insight Trapr.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you have 50 yards make a VTAC barricade and 9 hole drill an IPSC head

I've been doing it some recently and its a ball buster to hit 30 sec for 9 hits

(I'm still not there - stuck in the 40's)

I have a drill. Set targets at 10, 15, and 30 yards in a diagonal. You can shoot them standing..moving forward, backward, left, right, etc. I place a 3 gun nation target on a uspsa target so I can practice my doubles and then do a round making single head shots.