Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which hand to release slide?

igolfat8

For a right handed shooter ... When making fast magazine changes, while the slide is locked to the rear, do you use your right thumb to release the slide back into battery or your left thumb? I use my right thumb but maybe there is a better, more efficient way to do it???

Either way is fine in my opinion, just practice doing it and make it muscle memory, each way and the benefits and drawbacks are going to depend on your individual physiology and the firearm that you are using.

For example: Let's say you are shooting a 1911/2011 platform, the slide release is pretty prominent in size as compared to a Glock, but it is farther forward, If you have large thumbs, or longer fingers and can reach the mag release without having to twist the gun in your grip then you may be able to reach the slide lock without too much effort with the strong hand, they also make an extended Slide release to aid in this.

If you are like me and have smaller hands, I would need to twist the gun excessively and would probably use my weak hand thumb to release the slide as I was forming my grip on the gun with my support hand. Some may argue that either of these methods require fine motor control, and that, in a stressful situation, like competition or real world, you are best to "slingshot" the slide.

I am Left handed and shoot a 1911, so all of the above actions, releasing the mag and releasing the slide are performed with my trigger finger, which allows me to keep my strong hand continuously gripping the gun, But Alas we are not talking about us Crazy! Lefties.

On another platform like the above mentioned Glock the slide release is right above your strong hand thumb so releasing the slide from slide lock is much easier, so much easier that some shooters depending on their grip, activate the slide lock while shooting and cause all sorts of issues, I have a good buddy and fellow shooter, that has removed his slide lock for this reason.

In USPSA competition and other action shooting disciplines, you really will be best served to minimize running the gun dry. Easier said than done sometimes and we all have run the gun dry, I did it often during Area 7 last year, Doh!!! Depending on your division, Single Stack for example has a 8 round Max mag capacity for major, and the rules state:

1.2.1.1 Short Courses: must not require more than 12 rounds to complete and no more than 2 shooting locations. Course design and construction must not require more than 8 scoring hits from any single location or view, nor allow a competitor to shoot all targets in the course of fire from any single location or view.

1.2.1.2 Medium Courses: must not require more than 20 rounds to complete and no more than 3 shooting locations. Course design and construction must not require more than 8 scoring hits from any single location or view, nor allow a competitor to shoot all targets in the course of fire from any single location or view.

1.2.1.3 Long Courses: in Level III or higher matches must not require more than 32 rounds to complete. At any level match, course design and construction must not require more than 8 scoring hits from any single location or view, nor allow a competitor to shoot all targets in the course of fire from any single location or view.

So if you are moving you should reload, and based on the above rules, you should not be able to shoot all the targets from one position, nor should you be required to shoot more than 8 rounds from any one position. The only time you might go to slide lock is if you lose count and take additional shots, say on steel and run the gun dry, or encounter a malfunction. If you are counting you would usually be faster to reload before the gun runs dry.

That is just my $.02, I'm sure others will have other thoughts.

Edited by IDPA-nut

I've gotten lucky with my XDm 5.25,

If I send a new magazine up into the magwell with any sort of gusto, the slide releases on its own. But normally I reload while still in battery.

That said, I think it really depends on a balance between the firearm you're using and the size of your hands

For my XDm, if the slide didn't release on its own, I would be using my right thumb to release it. This is because the slide release naturally rests under my right thumb without having to change my grip.

Using your left hand will add more time, not a lot, but slightly more.

This question is pretty much in the same ballpark as whether or not one gains any benefit from using a BAD lever on an AR (yes you do gain a major benefit).

Edited by nitrohuck

I always use my right since I can easily reach the slide stop without shifting my grip. It's right there so I don't think using my left could be more efficient. My answer might be different if I couldn't easily reach the slide stop with my right.

Just as long as you don't pull back on the slide to release it. I find it baffling that so many have been led to believe that it is the best way for some reason.

Edited by alma

if you can reach it with your right hand thumb without breaking grip then that's the way to go. if you can't then I'd probably say left hand is preferable over breaking your strong hand grip to reach it.

but yeah my CZ's mostly just release on their own if I do a nice firm mag change. or even better as kneelingatlas said, don't put yourself into a slide lock reload position! keep the gun fed whilst it's still got 1 in the pipe. :)

On my 1911s I use my weak hand thumb (right handed). I can do this as I'm regripping the gun after reloading without slowing myself down. I use shock buffers which keep me from being able to release the stop by racking the slide.

On my Glock I generally rack the slide to disengage the stop. The only time I have to do this is if I planned poorly and forgot to reload. This may change as I haven't had the gun long and am still working through which stop works best for me. I broke the stock one, which is fine 'cause I didn't like it anyway, and I'm now using the bullet forward or bullet back release (can't remember which right now).

Figure out what works best for you, that keeps you from having to unnecessarily shift your grip, and practice that.

-Jake

Weak hand thumb. It falls naturally into position after mag insertion. It also prevents you from changing your strong hand grip on the gun. Some will argue but I believe it to be faster. Most of the GMs I shoot with do it this way including Rob and Nils.

I usually use my strong hand thumb, but I can see both sides. With most of my personal guns, its no problem. I can reach the slide lock easily and not have to shift my grip too much. I was playing around with a friends limited Tanfoglio the other day, and it was a different story. I guess with the monster safety and position of the slide lock, I couldn't get to it as easily, and it was really slowing me down. Not to mention completely jacking my grip up. Maybe I just wasn't used to the gun, but I figured id try something new and use my weak hand thumb. Wasn't too bad once I got used to it. I've also seen instructors stress this method, as it ensures that your magazine is seated before you drop the slide and ensures a good consistent grip. Not a horrible idea. I guess, like others have said, it comes down to how you train. I'm always up for trying new things, but in the end, find what works best for you and practice.

It depends on the gun for me. For a Glock or Sig it's easy to hit the slide release with strong hand thumb without changing grip. With a 1911, I can't quite reach it without turning the gun, so it's more consistent for me to use my left hand thumb. I am about .1-.2 seconds faster on a glock slide lock reload than a 1911 as a result (about 1.2-1.4 sec on a glock @ 7 yd target vs. 1.4-1.6 sec on 1911).

I use my strong hand thumb because I have big enough hands to reach the slide stop on my M&P. The slide starts moving forward the moment the mag is seated; sooner than it would if I had to get my weak hand grip in place and use my weak hand thumb. For me, only slamming the mag hard enough to make the slide auto-forward is faster for a slide-lock reload.

FWIW, a lot of military shooters prefer to slingshot the slide into battery, using the ol gross motor skill argument. Though I don't believe in the argument, the technique does have merit for those who shoot in gloves or after coming out of the water with frozen fingers. The flippery fellows I've trained with seem most insistent on the slingshot method.

Koolaid said it, hand size matters. Someone with small hands can't release it without totally readjusting their grip. Larger hands can. I also slam the mag home and that releases the slide faster than I could manually.

When I shot Glocks I always used my SH thumb, but I can't reach my CZ or 1911 easily and so have switched to the left hand - which I really feel like is faster for me. I can drop the slide as I build my grip on the way back out to extension.

On my xdm my thumb rests on the button. In fact when I first started shooting I was doing drills and discovering the great benefit of an awesome grip and I noticed my gun seemed to be malfunctioning. The slide lock wasn't working every time. I kept taking the gun apart and running it empty over and over to troubleshoot the problem. It was early 2013 when you couldn't find nice guns for sale, and it took me months to get it. I was disgusted that I may have to send it back for repair just when I was really starting to enjoy it. It completely distracted me from my shooting that day. Then on the way home it hit me. My new grip was causing me to put pressure on the button during recoil therefore keeping it from engaging the slide. D'oh!!!