Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need 3 Gun AR build advice

mikemike22

I am building an AR for 3 gun. My heart wants to go all out, but my wallet wants to save some money where I can. What should I splurge on and what can I save a little on. For example Billet vs Forged receivers, quality of barrels, trigger, etc. I was thinking 18" barrel, but may go with 16".

My advise is to spend the money in areas that will have a performance advantage (barrel, fire control and optic). Forged receivers are fine. Billet looks cool, but likely doesn't make a better shooter.

Good barrels makers in no particular order include Nordic, Criterion, Wilson Combat and JP.

JP, Hiperfire and Geissle all make good fire control parts.

16" vs 18" won't make much monetary difference, but will make a weight difference. Also, to get rifle legnth gas means 18".

I am probably not the guy to talk to; I went with JP parts on my redo of a Bushmaster.

My first real build was with JP parts also.

The trigger is critical. Some advise to get the trigger of the AR as close to the feel of your handgun (Bruce P advocated this once)

The barrel is important, although I achieve one inch groups out of my Bushmaster stock barrel with hand loads.

A well know rifle gunsmith told me most bolt carriers are made by one company and shipped to other companies that have them modified to their logo.

After the trigger, barrel and bolt carrier everything else is what you can afford.

I have had AWESOME results with the Criterion barrels and they are reasonably priced. As far as triggers go there are several to choose from. I am currently running Wilson's AR triggers and could not be happier.

The best $ I ever put into an AR is the trigger and the optic. I've used Timney and CMC triggers and like both, although I seem to prefer the CMC. I have a Burris MTAC 1-4 that is really easy to use, came with PEPR mount and provides really quick target acquisition. My factory barrel shoots MOA, so I'm sticking with it until I have reason to change.

Billet is cool bling, but no performance benefit.

A tight fitting upper extension with a quality barrel nut and a quality barrel is really all you need to start. Lowers are a box to hold the trigger grip and stock, provided the pins match up. Handguards are ergonomics and upgrade-able.

I just helped two locals put together budget ARs built so that they can add-on in the future:

Nordic upper: Upper receiver, 18" competition barrel, Nordic Handguard, Nordic HD charging Handle, Carbon Arms Gas Block, Mil-spec BCG, and Corvette Comp. ($770)

Mil-Spec Lower (DTI, Stag, TM, etc.): ALG trigger LPK ($90), MOE buttstock kit ($90), Lower is ~$110, ($290).

That is $1060 total. The buttstock, handguard, comp and trigger can be easily upgraded later, but this gets you the parts you need to get going with the four ergonomic parts that are expensive, but easy to change out.

The barrel and the receiver are the two most important in my opinion as they are the heart of the rifle and the foundation for accuracy and reliability.

I agree with what everyone has said so far. What is the trick to getting a barrel now, everything seems to be out of stock. I would love to have a Rainier Arms Ultramatch barrel, but out of stock. JP barrels are very pricey, Criterion is out of stock. Is there an online retailer with a good selection of barrels?

What is the trick to getting a barrel now, everything seems to be out of stock.

There aren't any tricks. Get on waitlists, sign up for in stock emails, watch the classifieds etc.

I really wanted a Criterion or Nordic. Unfortunately I was looking at the peak 2013 crisis. I eventually found a NIB Wilson Combat in the classifieds at AR15.com.

Supplies are still tight, but stuff comes in and out of stock fairly regularly. The key is knowing what you want (legnth, profile, gas system) and then jumping on it when it comes in stock.

I agree with what everyone has said so far. What is the trick to getting a barrel now, everything seems to be out of stock. I would love to have a Rainier Arms Ultramatch barrel, but out of stock. JP barrels are very pricey, Criterion is out of stock. Is there an online retailer with a good selection of barrels?

Give MarkCo a call.. I got an upper last week with a Nordic barrel.. took less than 48 hours from talking to him, to having it shipped in and my hands..

The JP barrel may appear to be expensive but you get a brand new, head spaced JP Enhanced bolt ($124.95) with each one, so when you add that to cost of the barrel it is competitive.

Doug

Edited by Doug H.

I went with different suppliers but with similar results.

My barrel is an 18" from Black Hole Weaponry, trigger is a Hyperfire 24C and I recently upgraded from a Burris MTAC to a Burris XTR.

Once the new Burris XTR 1-5x hits the shelves, there may be some bargains out there on the older style 1-4x XTR. (Picked up a new XTR + PEPR + FF3 for under $600 on ebay. This week added a lightly used XTR that I picked up for $400 on the forum.)

Gun shoots a lot better than I ever will.

Bill

I am installing a AR Gold trigger in a customer's rifle now, Boy! is that a sweet piece of equipment. I agree with many above, Barrel, Trigger, BCG, and Comp are the best monies spent, all the rest has less to do with performance and more to do with aesthetics and ergonomics.

Billet is cool bling, but no performance benefit.

A tight fitting upper extension with a quality barrel nut and a quality barrel is really all you need to start. Lowers are a box to hold the trigger grip and stock, provided the pins match up. Handguards are ergonomics and upgrade-able.

The barrel and the receiver are the two most important in my opinion as they are the heart of the rifle and the foundation for accuracy and reliability.

Listen to this man.

Lowers are where the most money is wasted in "premium AR's." Upper receivers are frequently the most over looked component. I like VLTOR MUR upers for added stiffness and generally better fit to most forged lowers.

I agree on a tight fitting barrel to receiver..

I won't use one that isn't a tight fit

When I pulled the barrel off my JP I noticed that they had shimmed the barrel to the upper receiver for a tighter fit!

Doug

Shimming is actually a pretty common practice if upper and barrel don't fit tight. I typically have enough parts in the shop to mix and match, and loose receivers go on blaster rifles. Barrel extensions can be up to .002 undersize, and receivers about the same amount over. Take a set at the outer limits of these tolerances and you have .004 of clearance, which feels like a mile when you assemble it. Buy a Model1 upper and it may BE a mile :sick: . To me an ideal barrel fit means it slides in about halfway, then needs a few taps with the plastic mallet to seat the extension against the face. Think about it.....Your scope is attached to the upper- any clearance between upper and barrel is play between the scope and the bullet path.