Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ Open

kneelingatlas

This thread sucks. Got a Tristar L-120 that I got for free. this thread makes me want to do all kinds of cuts and stuff.

I have one of these. It is a fine pistol for what they cost.

Just need to know what I can do with it. Would like to know if I could put a threaded barrel for a comp.

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

I had already made the decision to get a cz and shoot in Prod altho I started ipsc in open last year with a borrowed trubor.

Now after seeing this thread I started considering open again :D

I plan to shoot minor so basically a near stock sp01 shadow, fitted with a magwell and a red dot, would suffice?

Ps. I'm on a student budget :P

I had already made the decision to get a cz and shoot in Prod altho I started ipsc in open last year with a borrowed trubor.

Now after seeing this thread I started considering open again :D

I plan to shoot minor so basically a near stock sp01 shadow, fitted with a magwell and a red dot, would suffice?

Ps. I'm on a student budget :P

Just red dot and go if you are on a student budget :-) Take the magwell money and instead get a CZ Custom base pad and the follower/spring for one SP01 mag to get it to about 22. That plus your 18 you'll just reload once per stage, and go have fun! You really can just load the 18s up also, but sometimes stage design makes it where you want at least one 20+ round mag to get rid of a reload.

FWIW, I take my shadow out open minor all the time, its a LOT of fun. If I don't drop out of the A zone much, my scores for a stage can be right there with the open major guys (who are often struggling to keep a gun running, LOL).

Edited by trgt

If you don't already own the Shadow, save some money, buy the base SP01 and remove the firing pin block.

Hmm? What for? I dont think I've seen any base sp01's for sale around here and I really don't understand why I should choose the base sp01 over the shadow?

Shadows fetch a premium because they're Production legal without a firing pin block and because they have upgrades, including the sights, but if you're shooting Open with it, you don't need the sights nor need to be Production legal. It's just a suggestion if you want to save a little money.

Shadows fetch a premium because they're Production legal without a firing pin block and because they have upgrades, including the sights, but if you're shooting Open with it, you don't need the sights nor need to be Production legal. It's just a suggestion if you want to save a little money.

Ah, I understood that "save a little money" differently :P I thought that you meant that I should save a bit more to buy a more expensive gun :P

Now it suddenly makes sense!

If you don't already own the Shadow, save some money, buy the base SP01 and remove the firing pin block.

I did a little research and the only base sp01 I found in Finland is €19 less than the shadow and you get 2 mags instead of 3. So apparently it's a no brainer to choose the shadow

yeah in europe and other markets SP01s are not that common. the general 'base model' is the SP01 shadow. cost between an SP01 and SP01 shadow in those markets is not that great. for some reason the US suffered from a shortage of plain SP01 shadows (plenty of shadow customs, shadow targets etc) and hence they were more $$$.

I did a little research and the only base sp01 I found in Finland is €19 less than the shadow and you get 2 mags instead of 3. So apparently it's a no brainer to choose the shadow

But unlike other countries, a stock SP01 Shadow no longer distributed in US. It disappeared from CZ-USA site about 2 years ago. Now the only SP01 Shadows you find are the 'custom' ones for $500 or so more from CZ-Custom or Automatic Accuracy. Those guys get them to refine/upgrade, but really no more for the masses. So the ones left floating around stock/not custom are increasingly rare.

I am having the final paperwork done and soon I should be able to apply for a permit.

In other news: My C-More has already arrived with the DAA Quinn horizontal mount and now I am trying to do research on the magazines. Apparently the 75/85 26 round mag is just a bit over 170mm and a no-go. Right now, the most viable option seems to be the stock or mecgar mags with CZC +4 pads. Any better ideas?

CZ long stick is 177mm, ugly welding job hidden under rubber tube.

Tanfoglio Small Frame stick is 170mm exactly. Works for me with 26 rounds and it will feed CZ too.

http://www.tanfoglio.it/shop/caricatori/ac001-2-elevatore-clone-2-3.html

http://www.ipscstore.eu/en/tanfoglio/1023-tanfoglio-magazine-170mm-9x19mm.html

It is available in various calibers including 9x19 despite what the Tanfoglio Online Shop says, and also Large Frame.

Pricey, but I like the quality.

IPSCStore has a good price on CZ long mag currently

http://www.ipscstore.eu/en/cz-75/725-magazine-cz-75-85b-luger-9mm-26-round.html

You could use it for training and shinny Tanfoglio one for competition. ;D

Though, if you're a leftie, CZ long mag has no cut for magazine catch reversed for left hand :/ WTH CZ?

Edited by arkadi

22 rounds (18 rd + med base pad)

24 rounds (18 rd + long base pad)

28 rounds (2 welded mags / med base pad fit to 170 gauge)

29 rounds (26 round mag plus short base pad, removed rubber bottom, removed metal bottom side indent)

The 29 rounds is too long, but seems like someone handy could do something base pad area to get it to fit, and less hassle then having welded. (Although $100 to have them fit / welded doesn't seem bad to me)

The 22 and 24 each can jam one more round in to 23/25, but then it's not usable, very tight -- I might not have best spring / follower after seeing John and Stuart's setup/ round counts :-(

06d5652d17a18753e39398f0052783e5.jpg

Edited by trgt

• 3 weeks later...

I originally purchased this P-09 as a Carry Optics gun, but I quickly lost the desire to shoot in that division. Then I saw that Springer Precision came out with their thread-on comp and magwell for the P-09/P-07 and figured it would be fun to put it all together just for shits and giggles. I had to make my own kydex holster for it, and I also modified the factory safety levers into extended levers by melting little dabs of ABS plastic onto them with a soldering iron until there was enough material to shape them into something decent looking. I don't know how competitive this gun would be as an Open gun (or if I'll ever get serious about shooting in Open), but it sure was fun putting it all together. :)

czp09_11.jpg

czp09_holstered2.jpg

czp09_extsafety_01.jpg

czp09_extsafety_02.jpg

czp09_extsafety_03.jpg

czp09_extsafety_04.jpg