Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ Open

kneelingatlas

Thanks guys! Other than stippling the bottom of the +2 mag bases and reshaping them to fit in the magwell, the extended safeties are the only "custom" work that I've done to the gun (which came out surprisingly well). Everything else is just bolt-on and I could turn this P-09 back into a Production legal gun in less than an hour! It just shows how versatile the P-09/P-07 platform can be. :)

Edited by BrazeauRacing

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I had a little snowboarding accident a while back (had to walk with sticks for 2 weeks), got a sudden realization that I'm not immortal and made the decision to sell my motorcycle. So my pistol budget pretty much quadrupled.

I was already considering a DVC open, but since it got more expensive (it is 4190€ now) I kinda lost interest. I kinda am interested in a czechmate now, but it seems to have huge problems with barrel nut failure and slide stops just snapping all the time.

I am completely open for ideas. Maybe even go TS or TS Orange and just slap the bloody c-more on it.

ps. trubor 3290€, CM 3640€, parrot 3999€ (not sure if it has spare barrels or not, waiting for an answer from the retailer), TS 1300ish, Orange 1942€.

Janskis, to build an Open CZ gun I started with used SP-01 Shadow at 600eur. My bill is now at 1865eur. Part of it is recoverable in parts I don't need anymore, but, most hard work was done by a friend gunsmith using professional tools: lathe, CNC mill, diamond tools, glass bead blasting, etc. for a low price. I did quite a lot of research and leg work myself and that bill doesn't include small things I bought, like steel punches, brass hammer, vice, paint stripper, etc. The RTS2 red dot with aluminum mount and frame drilling alone will set you back around 500eur. CZ iron sights removal? Prepare for a fight using vice, brass and steel hammers. Czechmate comp on TS? It may work, but you need access to lathe to thread the barrel and be comfortable to cut the 2,000eur Orange's frame to make room for the comp to bounce. Long stick mag - 90eur. Load development for custom configuration also takes time and trips to the range.

I'm not sure of Finland laws, but you might have questions asked by authorities if you rebuild the gun and have no proper license.

I may misquote either CZC or CGW about Czechmate: We couldn't build a better gun for the price.

Another option - buy used.

Also, reloading equipment spendings.

The itch to work on my TS Open gun is getting stronger :) I weighed all the parts and it's going to go on a serious diet!

IMG_20160226_202822.thumb.jpg.588313723157c9bc9e7ac50adf34a2c4.jpg

51.4oz is a beast, my latest Tanfoglio is 7oz lighter if you account for the racker.  If I get really aggressive I think I can get at least 3oz out of the frame and 3oz out of the slide.

Edited by kneelingatlas

Only 3 oz out of the frame? Would have expected more than that

I've already clipped ~1/2 oz off the dust cover, and I estimate I'll loss another ounce cutting another inch, plus some ball cuts, then I'm also planning to do cheese grater style holes in the grip.

• 7 months later...

Frankly, I don't know exactly where to post this -- other than in our "Open", continuing discussions.

For all owners of a CZ Czechmate, finally a dedicated Thumb Rest.  I've searched the web over the past year and found “Zero” thumb rests for the Czechmate Open Pistol.  I've taken it upon myself to design and fabricate a dedicated part for exactly this function.

There is only one that I have seen that could possibly be used but is not really as useful as it could be.  

The design shown here has been offered to CZ Custom but no takers from them.  Could be that Czechmate shooters are few and far between – don't know for sure.

Having said that, The design is ready for disposition to anyone shooting a Czechmate,  It can be mounted in either of two positions on the pistol – the two forward or rearward sight mount holes.  If mounted in the rearward mounting holes the slide catch must have some material removed from the leading edge of the take down pin to allow it to be able to slide by the Thumb Rest for dis-assembly.  It is machined from 6061-T6 aluminum bar stock.  Can be had with a Burnt Orange DuraCoat finish or bare aluminum, your choice.  Of course there is a price.  Please send a private email for pricing. (I was chastised on another forum for not including a price -- it's not a secret, it just didn't seem like that big a deal -- so here's the price: $84.00.)

It is recommended that 4mm x Grade 8 Torx or 6 Lobe Flat Heads be used for mounting.  Fasteners are not furnished.

Greg T

ThumbRest_001.jpg

ThumbRest_002.jpg

ThumbRest_003.jpg

Edited by GregT
Add price.

6 hours ago, GregT said:

Frankly, I don't know exactly where to post this -- other than in our "Open", continuing discussions.

For all owners of a CZ Czechmate, finally a dedicated Thumb Rest.  I've searched the web over the past year and found “Zero” thumb rests for the Czechmate Open Pistol.  I've taken it upon myself to design and fabricate a dedicated part for exactly this function.

There is only one that I have seen that could possibly be used but is not really as useful as it could be.  

The design shown here has been offered to CZ Custom but no takers from them.  Could be that Czechmate shooters are few and far between – don't know for sure.

Having said that, The design is ready for disposition to anyone shooting a Czechmate,  It can be mounted in either of two positions on the pistol – the two forward or rearward sight mount holes.  If mounted in the rearward mounting holes the slide catch must have some material removed from the leading edge of the take down pin to allow it to be able to slide by the Thumb Rest for dis-assembly.  It is machined from 6061-T6 aluminum bar stock.  Can be had with a Burnt Orange DuraCoat finish or bare aluminum, your choice.  Of course there is a price.  Please send a private email for pricing. (I was chastised on another forum for not including a price -- it's not a secret, it just didn't seem like that big a deal -- so here's the price: $84.00.)

It is recommended that 4mm x Grade 8 Torx or 6 Lobe Flat Heads be used for mounting.  Fasteners are not furnished.

Greg T

ThumbRest_001.jpg

ThumbRest_002.jpg

ThumbRest_003.jpg

An A for effort and initiative, it looks good.  

There is a Czechmate thumb rest already on the market but I personally think I would prefer it set further forward like in your design. 

https://cpwsa.com/products/cz-czechmate-and-ts-thumb-rest

my00wrx1... You are so right!  With any Thumb Rest mounted closer to the take down/slide catch it compresses your left hand grip too much.  Through trial and error this is the optimum for your weak hand thumb -- unless a person has very small hands.

The Link you provided is the Thumb Rest I was eluding to in my description.  Not saying it's a bad design, but it is too far to the rear of the gun when mounted as shown.

Thanks for the kudos!

Gt

I have the one that was linked and mounted mine in the forward two holes so it doesn't block the slide lever. 

One thing I noticed that I like more much with yours is it has texture. The other is just flat and I had to take it upon myself to make my own knurling on it with a hack saw and file. 

Might be interested in the future but I just got this one lol. :( 

Finished up my Shadow open gun last night. I used the stock barrel and I'm wondering if I should stick to minor PF? Are you guys making major with the factory barrels and are you seeing much wear or fatigue on any parts? What loads are you using?

Edited by Jody Waring

Major with stock barrel, 8.3gn VV 3N38 and 120gn .356" coated bullet (IPSC). An interesting sub-major load is around 6.6gn of 3N38 - shoots light and flat.

Edited by arkadi

6 hours ago, arkadi said:

I like the looks, yet are the massive comps a disadvantage?

My other gun is a little less mass up front, but even over the years of shooting full profile vs small profile comps of different materials, there is a balance that you seem to find. but it still seems purely up to the shooter preferences. but that is all an opinion

The comp actually has a lot of metal out of it for chambers, recoils guide running underneath, etc. so really not that much mass out front.

Screenshot_2016-10-10-08-28-10-01.jpeg

Edited by eerw

• 3 weeks later...

I'm back...

Another image of one of my Czechmate's.  I've added a side port at the last port of the Czechmate and installed the Thumb Rest.  Blasting with the gun now has less muzzle flip but the slide hits quite hard.  I'll be trying an 11 LB recoil spring this weekend moving up from a 10 LB'r.

Thumbrest_003.jpg

COMPCUTS01.jpg

I've been asked by a few what the Burnt Orange Thumb Rest's look like:  The finish is three coats of DuraCoat -- which is basically an epoxy paint, very tough and quite appropriate for this purpose.

Honky... Thanks for the kind comments!

Greg

Orange_004.jpg

Orange_001.jpg