kneelingatlas

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, GregT said:

A couple images for those that have interest of the comp cuts, I call them "Tank Ports".

CompCuts_007.jpg

CompCuts_001.jpg

You would thin those holes would jet gas back towards the shooter pulling the gun forward, but you say it hits harder in the hand now?

On 10/27/2016 at 1:18 PM, arkadi said:

Hard to tell what the ports do exactly, without proper fluid dynamics simulation or high-FPS camera capture, no?

arkadi... Yes, you're right. The only way to know weather or not improvements in lessoning muzzle jump or perceived recoil is to get the shooter out of the evaluation.  What is really needed are force transducers in X-Y-Z mounted on a pistol before making any changes to the comp.  Take the G force measurements and then repeat the exercise after making compensator changes.  We would have interest in the X-Y data, not so much the Z, although there is rotational force being delivered to the pistol due to the bullet having imparted spin.

Video of muzzle rise is not so helpful if a pistol is hand held, because as we all have noted, that is a warm fuzzy type feeling as to what the gun shoots like, regardless of the video evaluation method.

kneeling... Yes, I can not definitely feel the slide hitting the frame, a sensation I didn't feel at all before modifying the comp.  As I'm getting less muzzle rise(As witnessed in the C-More.) the thing that I'll probably try next is safely getting rid of as much slide mass as possible to lessen the momentum of the slide -- some time this winter -- In particular behind the breach face for now.  And, yes, it seems as though the gases are being redirected to the rear but I, the shooter, don't feel any air movement on my face or hands -- but the RO's do!

Having made the comp mods, subjectively, I'm not real sure the pistol performs any better than before the mods!  Except for a minimal decrease in muzzle flip.

21 hours ago, adamge said:

Greg, are you selling those? Can you make one with the pedal positioned farther forward, like say in front of the front screw hole (I have long thumbs)?

Adamge... Unfortunately, what you see is what you get, sorry.

Greg

9 hours ago, Big Dog Howie said:

Sweet looking blaster,Stuart remember this earlier picture

Looks strangely familiar,lol

Im so glad it finallyis in your hands

Mikes CZ hot Rod.jpg

cool photos...

so when were the changes made. to the smaller C-more red dot, trigger shape ( to the flat trigger), sear/hammer?

On 10/28/2016 at 4:43 PM, GregT said:

kneeling... Yes, I can not definitely feel the slide hitting the frame, a sensation I didn't feel at all before modifying the comp.

In my earlier post, the above is what I said -- however, it should read:

kneeling... Yes, I can now definitely feel the slide hitting the frame, a sensation I didn't feel at all before modifying the comp.

GregT

On ‎10‎/‎31‎/‎2016 at 6:17 AM, eerw said:

cool photos...

so when were the changes made. to the smaller C-more red dot, trigger shape ( to the flat trigger), sear/hammer?

I don't remember Stuart,I know we did the changes when we stripped it all down and sent it to get hard chromed

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

So what about one of these as an open gun...it's the semi-famous 'SP-01' Compact, or 'Steel compact with a rail'.  It's built like a tank, and weighs in at 38 ounces with empty mag.   Apparently they are some sort of CZ contract overrun.  I'm working on trying to get it approved for Carry Optics under the 'at least 500 offered for sale' clause, as this version isn't listed as a production gun.

While I expect it to be approved to run CO, I was thinking about where else I could run it.  CZ Custom has a threaded barrel for it that measures 4.22" from the breech face, which puts it right in line with some of the short barreled open guns.  It will take regular CZ75 mags, so that part is easy, and with the shorter grip, clearance for a magwell won't be an issue (provided a mag well is available).  Optic could go on the slide, obviously, but I would think a frame mount would work well, also  Do a SAO trigger, and I think it might work well.

One concern I have would be the 9 major loads, but like I said, this thing is built like a tank.  Like I said, my plan is to use in in CO, but I like options :-)

TobyJ

cz steel compact (1328 x 747).jpg

The P01 slide needs a one lug barrel like this

download_1.jpg.70c5697c5c9d843b9207ad8df3c44c4c.jpg

So if you want to use a longer barrel like the one from the SP01

download.jpg.76d43e847f98f46429680017bf809ed8.jpg

You have to grind the front lug off, I did this one with a Tanfoglio compact.  It only lasted about 100 rounds of 9 major before the lone lug started to round off.

It's possible the CZ barrel would hold up better, but I wouldn't expect it to make it more than a few thousand rounds before wearing out.

• 3 weeks later...
On 28/7/2017 at 9:34 AM, kneelingatlas said:

After five years and over a dozen Open guns, my TS project is almost complete!

597ae8cdbb732_TSOpen.thumb.jpg.b8c8c9a9d1ed7559ca9e0ad9820019a6.jpg

Looks pretty mean! 

How's the recoil? Got any footage of it in action? :)

Here's a link for a video a friend shot of my TS project (the last in the video, obviously :)). I'm pretty happy with it: 

5 hours ago, SFischer said:

Looks pretty mean! 

How's the recoil? Got any footage of it in action? :)

Here's a link for a video a friend shot of my TS project (the last in the video, obviously :)). I'm pretty happy with it: 

Nice! I didn't know there was a Sphinx factory Open gun, what does one of those go for?!?

11 minutes ago, kneelingatlas said:

Nice! I didn't know there was a Sphinx factory Open gun, what does one of those go for?!?

Not sure, it's my friends. But he got it dirt cheap cause the bullets hit the comp. Was fixed with a dremel :)

If you look closely around half way through, the magwell falls off :D

11 minutes ago, kneelingatlas said:

I'm itching to get my slo-mo setup going again so I can film these three recent additions:

IMG_20170825_210851208.thumb.jpg.179595cb28e5ea2f34a43236226e8d65.jpg

I need to live in a country where i can just buy as many guns as I want :D Looks good. How many open guns you got? 

5 minutes ago, SFischer said:

I need to live in a country where i can just buy as many guns as I want :D Looks good. How many open guns you got? 

Condolences my brother, as a California resident it's not often I'm complimented on the size of my cage :closedeyes:

How many Open guns???  That's a tough question :blush: What constitutes an Open gun? If it's a gun complete, finished and ready to shoot in competition with belt, holster, mag pouches and mags, I have one!  If it's a frame and a plan, I have somewhere between one and two dozen :eatdrink: