Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

45ACP powders used... What have you used and how?

G17fan

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The majority of the past 24 years have been spent shooting 45 ACP. Here's a list of what I've tried:

Bullseye

W231

WSL

WSF

WST

Green Dot

Red Dot

IMR ? don't remember

My preference for all 200 gr bullets is WST. WSL worked great, but it's no longer available.

If I plan to shoot heavy bullets such as the 255 SWC, I really like WSF. No pressure and with very good velocity.

I have a bunch of 700X that I am going to try with 230gr plated and PD FMJs. 700x will probably be easier to find than the others listed and I hear some pretty good reports from those who have loaded with it.

Due to limited options available I have been using IMR 4756 with a 230gr RN. 6.6 grains and it cycles in my Kimbers fine. The begining load was 6.4 grains. It was a hair too light.

I've bee using Titegroup for the last 3 years but I'm out now and haven't been quick enough to get it online in at least a year.

Moving to 700X since It's what I have at the moment.

Will try some loads this weekend.

Edited by Willz

Due to the availability or lack there of, I have recently been using IMR 4756. The load data suggested low end at 6.4 and high end 7.0 with a 230gr RN plated bullet. I had a few feed issues with my test batch. In fact I was not at all satisfied. I increased the powder to 6.6 and must admit, it has made all the difference in the world. I will continue to use this powder, as I see no reason not to. It is consistantly availabe at $20 per lb and my guns are functioning without a hic-cup.

I had some trouble with 4756. It was shot like it was wet around 6.4 grn...way too light. 7.0 with 230fmj-Rn is about right for my g21.

I have been finding a lot of IMR PB and using it in 9mm and 45 recently and it runs the same way, I have had to bump everything up slowly to get a it to cycle reliably in my xdm

How have you all found E3 to be compared to Clays? I use Xtreme 230gr hp plated. Down to last pound of Clays, and I'm pretty sure the local store has a supply of E3.

In addition, I am also reloading 9mm with Xtreme 124gr hp plated. I know that's another forum, but instead of posting there (felt it'd just increase noise ratio), I was wondering if anyone here has found E3 to be a good powder for that 9mm bullet.

Thanks.

I was using Green Dot it was ok and then switched to IMR 4756 and starting load was 6.3 and worked my way up to 6.8 and really liked the 6.5 load as it gave me a nice recoil feel and 5 shots with in 1 1/4 at 25 yards.. The other 7 were at 3 " of centre. Great grouping I must say. That will be my go to load and it is LRN 230 gr. fc 150 primers and O.A.L. Is 1.270. Sig P220 Elite.

Edited by Chevy

Started using Titegroup for 45 as it was mostly available. Didn't like the results I was getting. I would also get powder residue on my arms when shooting. Switched to Clays and never looked back, works great. Luckily I still have some Clays but won't last long. In my area TG has mostly been more available. I'm seeing 4756 but I see/read mixed reviews about it so I haven't tried it.

Better question might be what haven't you used.

In no particular order, I've loaded:

N310

Bullseye

Titegroup

Clays

WST

Unique

700X

Universal

Red Dot

Green Dot

Blue Dot

Most of my 45 shooting is in S&W 625 revolvers.

Mostly Bullseye and N310 there..

In the bottom feeders its Red Dot, WST and Titegroup.

Edited by Taroman

I had some trouble with 4756. It was shot like it was wet around 6.4 grn...way too light. 7.0 with 230fmj-Rn is about right for my g21.

Wow!! I never realized Just how economical Clays is. Behind a 230 Moly bullet I run 3.7 Grains!!

How have you all found E3 to be compared to Clays? I use Xtreme 230gr hp plated. Down to last pound of Clays, and I'm pretty sure the local store has a supply of E3.

In addition, I am also reloading 9mm with Xtreme 124gr hp plated. I know that's another forum, but instead of posting there (felt it'd just increase noise ratio), I was wondering if anyone here has found E3 to be a good powder for that 9mm bullet.

Thanks.

e3 works great in 9 and .45. Load it just like Clays and you will be fine.

Wow!! I never realized Just how economical Clays is. Behind a 230 Moly bullet I run 3.7 Grains!!

I run 3.8 grains N310 under a 230 plated RN to make 165 pf for CDP. Also pretty economical

I think Clays is the best powder for 45acp. I don't think that will help with the supply situation as I believe the factory is shut down for a while due to a fire.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Another Clays fan here. However, Bullseye works really well too.

Found a couple pounds of Red Dot in stock today... so I guess my next few thousand will be with that.

Its kind of a funny combo... Red Dot and Blue Bullets.

Blankenhole: do you mind sharing your data for Power Pistol? My go to was for AA#2, but it's scarce as hens'-teeth but was able to grab some Power Pistol. You can PM me if you prefer.

PM Sent.

To stay on topic I also found some Red Dot as well at a local Woodbury's. Hopefully will load some up today and shoot tomorrow and see how that compares to the rest.

The sheer amount of versatility in .45ACP is great, hopefully I can find some Winchester powders or some Clays soon to see what the hype is all about

I am looking for reload data for reloading .45 ACP with Montana Gold 230 gr FMJ-RN bullets for practice rounds.

I have a good supply of Hodgdon Tite Group powder I want to use. Experienced loading recommendations with this powder apprecitated.

My previous experience (years ago) has been with Bullseye, which is harder to find than an honest politician

I am new to you forum, having just joined as a member.

LONGSHOT1000