Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

45ACP powders used... What have you used and how?

G17fan

Okay, 1st I am new to reloading. Second, I am seeing several people stating they use or have used Red Dot for 45 ACP. I found a 8lb keg of Red Dot cheap and need formulas/recipes for loading 45 ACP.

I plan on using 230 gr jacketed bullets (I have not figured out leading issues with cast bullets yet).

So, any formulas/recipes that you would share would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Thanks from Georgia,

Cmax B)

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CMAX,

I found this link to Alliant Red Dot Powder loads for the 45 ACP: http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/powderlist.aspx?type=1&powderid=4&cartridge=35

It lists loads for 3 different bullets using Red Dot powder. Usually all the manufacturers have loading data on their website. I did note recently on a can of Hodgdon Tite Group that the load data printed on the can was for MAX loads and in small print that starting loads should be 10% less. So read the labels!

Here is the link to the Hodgdon reloading website: http://www.hodgdon.com/basic-manual-inquiry.html

I would also suggest that the check the bullet manufacturer for load specs for their bullets.

If you havent already done so, I suggest you order Lymans 49th edition of their reloading manual, as it has been the "bible" of reloaders for years and also include a lot of the basics that need to be considered for reloading.

Longrange1000

Edited by Longshot1000

I had some trouble with 4756. It was shot like it was wet around 6.4 grn...way too light. 7.0 with 230fmj-Rn is about right for my g21.

Wow!! I never realized Just how economical Clays is. Behind a 230 Moly bullet I run 3.7 Grains!!

Tell me about it! I overpaid for it too.

I am going to take my Last pound of Clays out of circulation, I have a pound each of 700x and PB to play around with. That way if I really don't like them I can switch back to the Clays for the Northeast Sectional and Area 7.

I got 2# of 700 the other day.

Reckon what's good to start with 200 gn plated RS Kimber 1.250 oal?

Best Wishes.

I floated around 5.0gr with a 200gr LSWC @ 1.225" with good results.

Thanks and best wishes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Longshot seems to be some awesome go to power (powder) for me. Shoots great in 40. Gonna run it thru 45 cal and see if it is as good or better than other stuff in stock best wishes. Will ck back in later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried Unique but it is just so dirty. Liked Titegroup but have stuck with longshot at about 7.2 to 7.7 grains for 185 grain JRN with either large or small primer cases. LP seems to produce about 900fps and SP is lower abound 850fps out of my Sig 1911 tach opp. In a pinch I would try PB as I use that for my 40S&W rounds and it works well. I would be interested to see a recipe for 45acp using trail boss, but I think it would take too much to make it work well.

Edited by Buildit2

Longshot, 6.6 gr for 230 plated bullets. Was the only powder I was able to find in stores, and online, at the time. Now, it seems the supply gets better and more powders make it into the stores.

• 2 weeks later...

Data from yesterday on the chronograph:

Springfield TRP 1911

Blue Bullet 230gr
Winchester LP primer
Red Dot 4.0 grains
1.260"
Measured Velocity:
755.0 776.0 763.0 765.0 752.0 772.0 770.0 786.0 776.0 778.0
Max: 786 Min: 752 Range: 34 Ave: 769 Std Dev: 10.61
Max Power Factor: 180.8 Avg Power Factor: 176.9 Min Power Factor: 173.0
Same load, Glock 21
715.0 733.0 720.0 738.0 723.0 742.0 735.0 745.0 734.0 746.0
Max: 746 Min: 715 Range: 31 Ave: 733 Std Dev: 10.63
Max Power Factor: 171.6 Avg Power Factor: 168.6 Min Power Factor: 164.5

There seems to be a new one appearing:

Maxam CSB1 (think it comes from CSB1 to CSB10 but it all seems to be primarily shotgun powder)

I've noticed several posts about it but haven't seen any locally to try.

Loading 230gr Xtreme plated I started with Universal. I switched to the WST because the Universal left unburnt powder at lower velocities. I started reloading a year and a half ago when everybody else did apparently. Universal was all I could find. A friend if mine swears by WSF in his 230gr MG loads.

Les Baer Ultimate

Les Baer PII

WLP

4.0 gr N310

Bayou Bullet 230

1.25 OAL

170ish PF (the ultimate barrel is a little faster)

so you are getting 739.13 fps ish?

Correct on the PII. More like 747.82ish on the Ultimate. :roflol: