Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

45ACP powders used... What have you used and how?

G17fan

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have experimented with a lot of powders for 45ACP. It would take too long to list them all, but here are the best and worst.

Bullseye loads with 200 LSWC in order of preference: N310, WST, American Select, Clays/Clay Dot. Still experimenting with e3.

Major power Factor: Solo 1000. I have not liked anything slower than Solo 1000 including PB, although N340 comes close.

Hates: 700X (ugh), Titegroup (double ugh), Bullseye (dirty)

Normally I prefer 231 or HP-38 (same), but finding that powder is near impossible. Tried using Titegroup but did not like the results. Right now using 800X but it does not meter very well. Be very careful in weight charges. Clays makes a good minor load, but if wanting to use it for major the levels are very close to maximum. Check the rounds with a chrono as mt last ones made 164800. Minor power factor but thank the stars the bullets were slightly heavy, or I would have shot a huge match minor.

Will try 700 and of course the old standby, Red dot.

for 200 gr LSWC (Billy Bullets or lead with Alox coating) - 4.6 to 4.8 gr American Select gives 169 to 175 PF out of my STI Trojan. AS burns very clean, has no muzzle flash, and meters well through my Uniflow. About the same amount of WST can also be used with similar results.

for 200gr Bear Creek round nose hollow base - 4.9 - 5.1 gr American Select and Federal LP primers for my SW 625 5" barrel = about 170 PF

For 230 gr lead round nose or Billy Bullets RN - 3-8 to 4.0 gr. VV N-310 = 172 PF out of the 625. Can also use the same amount of Clays with those bullets but N-310 is cleaner and more consistent.

For 230gr Zero FMJ I will use Solo 1000 or American Select. Solo has more headroom if you want to get 800+ fps out of a revolver or 1911.