Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

WHERE IS ALL THE POWDER

joedirt

I just sent the following to Powder Valley:

It would be nice for the president of PV do an interview to give us Pistol competition shooters an update on what's going on in the powder world. I've been shooting for almost 2 years and have never been able to get the reloading supplies I want, when I want it. It's downright un american! :) But seriously... The president of Hodgdon gave an interview and answered questions last year, and I really appreciated the response. I think it would only be appropriate for the leader of the best powder dealer in country to do likewise. Thanks

Let's see what they have to say. Maybe it will be something like "We get it, we sell it. Let us know if you find a better deal".

They have addressed your question on facebook.... multiple times (they also update the community about powder deliveries via facebook). You may have to hunt, or pay attention to catch it when it comes around.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Anyone have news on how Hodgdon's supplier is doing with the repairs after the fire? I'm sitting in a factory that went from the ground breaking ceremony to shipping product in less than a year. I'm sure a fire in a powder factory has got to be about the worst thing (short of a nuclear meltdown) that can happen, and they are probably engineering it so that it doesn't happen again, but it seems like it's taking a long time.... Just Sayin....

It would be nice to hear that things are on track to get back to normal. although I've never experienced normal since I've only been reloading for a little more than a year now. :unsure:

Just to follow up on my post from October.... I'm beginning to lose faith in the free market system. I really wish someone with real first hand knowledge would give us the lowdown on what's going on. Maybe the president of Powder Valley....

I'm not 100% on all construction, however I do know that building from the ground up actually takes less time to build then re building, (fire damage or full remodeling) mainly because the existing structure has to be removed. I'm guessing that the cleanup process and procedures alone would tie the demolition up for an extended period of time. Then with the new constitution, as you said I'm sure they are doing whatever possible to engineer the new facility to not repeat the same incident again. I Would also imagine that the building permits and inspections needed to open would be much more extensive then any normal office, wear house or factory. Again this is all speculation. I really hope we hear someone more solid soon about when this "dry spell" will be over. I know a lot of holding is still taking place. It would almost require an over saturated market for a few months to level out and people to start relaxing.

Anyone have news on how Hodgdon's supplier is doing with the repairs after the fire? I'm sitting in a factory that went from the ground breaking ceremony to shipping product in less than a year. I'm sure a fire in a powder factory has got to be about the worst thing (short of a nuclear meltdown) that can happen, and they are probably engineering it so that it doesn't happen again, but it seems like it's taking a long time.... Just Sayin....

It would be nice to hear that things are on track to get back to normal. although I've never experienced normal since I've only been reloading for a little more than a year now. :unsure:

Just to follow up on my post from October.... I'm beginning to lose faith in the free market system. I really wish someone with real first hand knowledge would give us the lowdown on what's going on. Maybe the president of Powder Valley....

I'm not 100% on all construction, however I do know that building from the ground up actually takes less time to build then re building, (fire damage or full remodeling) mainly because the existing structure has to be removed. I'm guessing that the cleanup process and procedures alone would tie the demolition up for an extended period of time. Then with the new constitution, as you said I'm sure they are doing whatever possible to engineer the new facility to not repeat the same incident again. I Would also imagine that the building permits and inspections needed to open would be much more extensive then any normal office, wear house or factory. Again this is all speculation. I really hope we hear someone more solid soon about when this "dry spell" will be over. I know a lot of holding is still taking place. It would almost require an over saturated market for a few months to level out and people to start relaxing.

Yes, there was an explosion at a powder manufacturer in Belgium: http://www.rtbf.be/info/regions/detail_engis-explosion-dans-une-poudrerie-le-plan-blanc-declenche?id=8217258

It was translated by an american website paper here: http://bearingarms.com/will-a-belgian-gunpowder-plant-explosion-affect-the-u-s-ammo-market/

It only affected the powder manufacturers of Bamuel, Bofors and Vihtavuori. The only reason why you hear about it is rumor and gun shop employees talking it up to scare you into paying whatever you have for whatever they have. I first heard about it at my local gun shop and immediately smelled a rat. That crap pisses me off that we are led to believe whatever. I for one am happy that there is a resource called the internet that can assist us in getting the full story.

Powder is coming back folks and we will be fine by summer.

There is no fire, there was no reduction in powder supply in the USA. It is simple supply, demand and then you have the hoarders over here.

Yes, there was an explosion at a powder manufacturer in Belgium: http://www.rtbf.be/info/regions/detail_engis-explosion-dans-une-poudrerie-le-plan-blanc-declenche?id=8217258

It was translated by an american website paper here: http://bearingarms.com/will-a-belgian-gunpowder-plant-explosion-affect-the-u-s-ammo-market/

It only affected the powder manufacturers of Bamuel, Bofors and Vihtavuori. The only reason why you hear about it is rumor and gun shop employees talking it up to scare you into paying whatever you have for whatever they have. I first heard about it at my local gun shop and immediately smelled a rat. That crap pisses me off that we are led to believe whatever. I for one am happy that there is a resource called the internet that can assist us in getting the full story.

There is no fire, there was no reduction in powder supply in the USA. It is simple supply, demand and then you have the hoarders over here.

There was a fire at the ADI plant in Australia and the powder supply to the USA was hampered for this reason along with some other reasons. In 2013 production was disrupted and once that was solved, the drying facility had a fire (or as they put it, a "propellant burn event") that kept it shut down. ADI reported today (1/13/15) that they were back to full production. This impacted a number of Hodgdon flake powder (including the Clay products). It will be a while before these products make their way back into the distribution system.

From what I've read on the site Australia has rules that only allow one container of powder per ship. That would seem to add to the problem.

Perhaps someone from Australia might chime in about the current situation. Someone from there said not too long ago that Universal Clays had shown back up in limited quantities in Australia.

There was a fire at the ADI plant in Australia and the powder supply to the USA was hampered for this reason along with some other reasons. In 2013 production was disrupted and once that was solved, the drying facility had a fire (or as they put it, a "propellant burn event") that kept it shut down. ADI reported today (1/13/15) that they were back to full production. This impacted a number of Hodgdon flake powder (including the Clay products). It will be a while before these products make their way back into the distribution system.

Link for those so inclined. http://www.adi-powders.com.au/handloaders/news.asp#item0

Can you cite any reliable source for that? Can you show where Hodgdon buys powder from ADI? And not some chat room forum crap. I was unable to find any information online regarding this fire having any disruption. Here is an April 2014 PDF discussing the reasons why Hodgdon powders cannot be found:

https://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/Web%20Page%20Buying%20Surge.pdf

So I am not sure what some fire in Australia has to do with the current powder shortage NATIONWIDE. It is excess demand, pure and simple.

Link for those so inclined. http://www.adi-powders.com.au/handloaders/news.asp#item0

Yes, I see that Hodgdon distributes the H4895, but that is a rifle powder. And then, only one of MANY powders. Thank you for that link, I read it earlier. It was helpful, but did not explain the issues fully.

Yes, I see that Hodgdon distributes the H4895, but that is a rifle powder. And then, only one of MANY powders. Thank you for that link, I read it earlier. It was helpful, but did not explain the issues fully.

This should fullfill your request, it even has Hodgdon's letterhead on it. :cheers:

I am sure that the situation with ADI has not helped the overall powder shortage...but I think there is also unprecedented demand. I was on the fence about how much of an issue demand played in the shortage...but I went and looked at midway to see what kind of deals they have on reloading kits (I have a friend wanting to get started in reloading). Every kit from RCBS, Hornady and Lyman were sold out! That says something!

Can you cite any reliable source for that? Can you show where Hodgdon buys powder from ADI? And not some chat room forum crap. I was unable to find any information online regarding this fire having any disruption. Here is an April 2014 PDF discussing the reasons why Hodgdon powders cannot be found:

So I am not sure what some fire in Australia has to do with the current powder shortage NATIONWIDE. It is excess demand, pure and simple.

If you really do your research you will find that there are not alot of powder manufactures worldwide, so any issues(fire) at any plant is going to have an effect on the supply. Read some of the forums and you will find that Australia, Canada, and Europe all have shortages.

I have always said that whoever let Hodgdon take over IMR and Winchester knew someone at the FTC. That gives Hodgdon an incredibly large share of the us powder market. If something happened that Hodgdon shut down...that would be the end of most of us reloaders. Alliant and Accurate are the only other widely distributed US based companies. I be guess that Hodgdon and it's holdings are three times the size of Alliant and ten times the size of Accurate. The rest are based outside of the US.

I have always said that whoever let Hodgdon take over IMR and Winchester knew someone at the FTC. That gives Hodgdon an incredibly large share of the us powder market. If something happened that Hodgdon shut down...that would be the end of most of us reloaders. Alliant and Accurate are the only other widely distributed US based companies. I be guess that Hodgdon and it's holdings are three times the size of Alliant and ten times the size of Accurate. The rest are based outside of the US.

Alliant is owned and operated by ATK (Alliant Techsystems)...they posted revenues of 4.78 BILLION dollars in 2014. Do you still think Hodgdon is 3x its size?

Each can of Hodgdon product says where it was made; Canada, USA, or Australia...its not that complicated.

Powderman81

From what I've read on the site Australia has rules that only allow one container of powder per ship. That would seem to add to the problem.

Perhaps someone from Australia might chime in about the current situation. Someone from there said not too long ago that Universal Clays had shown back up in limited quantities in Australia.

Yes Universal Clays is starting to slowly show up here in Australia.

As has already been pointed out with links to ADI (who makes certain Hodgdon powders) and Hodgdon (IMR), it isn't just some rumor or chat room forum crap. Clays, Universal Clays and International Clays (all very popular powders) have been MIA for the better part of two years due to production problems and a fire.

It really isn't all that hard to understand. Take three very popular and affordable powders out of distribution, along with some other problems at other manufacturers (like the sale of Vihtavuori and their production interruption), distribution issues with shipping powder from overseas, Sandy Hook, a significant increase in the number of people reloading, the demand placed on powder manufacturers from name brand ammo manufacturers and supplies dwindle quickly. Once they run out, every time new shipments are received, they evaporate quickly as people aren't sure when they are going to see it again so they are adjusting the amount they keep in their personal inventory (which further exacerbates the issue). I bet most serious reloaders/shooters keep more components on-hand today than they did prior to Sandy Hook. And it isn't necessarily "hoarding", it is simply adjusting the quantity you can afford to keep on hand so you don't run out in the next one, two or three years during which you may not be able to find what you need.

Throughout this time, i doubt powder manufacturers are increasing production to a significant degree, I'd imagine bringing increased production on-line is a time consuming and capital intensive prospect.

Supply and demand.