Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Race Holsters

Nimitz

Looks like I'll be picking up my first open centerfire pistol (STI SteelMaster) for Steel Challenge so I now need to find a holster .... in the world of Production Div shooters Bladetech holsters are overwhelmingly popular. Is there a clear choice for open race holsters as well? What features should I be on the lookout for

most shooters use daa or cr speed. ghost has some too. guys correct me if im wrong but on the cr speed and ghost you will feel a click on the draw when the holster releases. with the daa master, the pistol is just out and gone. no click feeling. some holsters hold the pistol at trigger guard and comp - others just trigger guard. it is just whatever you like. make sure it is easily adjustable because in open you have more holster positions available. have fun - open is a blast

I use a Safariland 014 comp holster. It comes with an assortment of spacers and is extremely adjustable. It draws smooth and locks very well. Check it out. I wasn't too impressed with ones I tested that only held the trigger guard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Safariland 014 user here, also.

I have no complaints with the holster. It has a huge amount of adjustment which would be a good thing for SC since there are no holster position restrictions. Nice smooth draw once adjusted to your gun, but again...there is a lot of adjustment so you may need to tinker with it some.

Good security, too, with the lock engaged. At the last match I was on deck for Outer Limits and practicing the box > box transition steps and my dang outer belt came undone. I felt the holster/belt peel off the inner belt. I grabbed part of the belt still attached but wasn't sure where the gun was as I just froze, and called for RO help. As it turned out the gun was still in the holster dangling from my waist and never hit the ground.

PM me if you decide to go the Safariland route.

Universal Shooting Academy holster for me and my Limited gun.

It only holds the triggerguard, but the gun has never fallen out. I like this style and have used a buddy's DAA and didn't notice too much of a difference except the USA holster has bearings that the gunframe slides on so the draw is effortless.

I use a Safariland 014. I mostly use it for Steel Challenge where speed of the draw can win or lose a match. I recently tried a Racemaster and didn't like it at all. I felt that I had to lift the gun upwards too much to get the gun out of the holster, where with the Safariland I am pulling the gun straight forward towards my support hand with little upward movement. It is something that I might have gotten used to with the Racemaster, but felt more comfortable with the Safariland. If you have friends that have different holsters I would recommend test driving them all to see which you like before shelling out upwards of $200 for a race holster.

Thx all. After posting I did find a thread about holsters and it does look like I'm down to either the Safariland 014 or the DAA Racemaster ...

Would I have to buy an attachment if I went with the 014 to be able to put it on my CR speed belt? Sounds like it may be slightly 'ahead' for draw purposes which of course are a big deal in SC ....

Too bad I didn't make this decision a little earlier since when I got to the prize table at the Nationals this past Sun I'm pretty sure there was a 014 available ... I even picked it up to fondle it for a sec but not really knowing anything about race holsters I didn't give it too much thought ....it was a red one as well which probably helped me put it back on the table .... A day late and a dollar short as always ...

The 014 comes with a belt hanger that can be used with belts up to 1.75" wide. It can also be bolted directly to a Safariland ELS belt without a hanger using 3 screws (or to your belt if you want to drill holes for it). For Steel Challenge I use the hanger as it offsets the holster a little farther away from my body. If you were using this for USPSA where you have to meet the not-so-new and improved 2" rule then bolting the holster directly to the belt makes it a little easier to adjust into a good draw position and brings it about 3/16" closer to the belt.

Another vote for the race master. My gun came as a pkg with a ghost holster. It was ok and I'm sure my draw wouldn't be any slower with it however I didn't really care for the lock mechanism. I like the locking mechanism a lot better on the daa. Easier to get to and seems a little more robust.

Owned and tried cr speed, ghost, race master, Manny Bragg, and 014. I'm using the 014 now and love it.

The Manny holster is just as fast with regular hands at side starts. But I find there to be too much side to side play in the run when holstered to be 100% for surrender position starts. Which steel challenge is unfortunately completely composed of.

I have got to tell ya, IU had a Ghost the one and I bought a DAA Race Master for my open gun. The race master is so much better for me. I love the feel when it comes out of the holster. It feels like butter now. I also know when it is locked in and I don't have to fight it like the ghost. I will not go back to any thing else.

Different material and production. I did everything humanly possible with the racer and still had to tilt the holster back before a stage. I maintained about a centimeter of wobble no matter what. Its cheaper for a reason and not just because you cant switch inserts.