Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What is the 2011 platform?

valkabit

STI and SVI share the patents, which I believe expired only just recently allowing some other companies to make their own versions of the modular frame and grip assembly. As far as I know the name "2011" is only used by STI.

Did I get it right?

Edited by waktasz

Almost right Waktasz, Rock Island Armory has a high cap pistol that is similar to a Para framed gun, only better. It is called a 2011. Rock Island makes some very nice pistols for the money, just ask Mike Seeklander. The patent has ran out on the STI frames , which has opened the door for some very good pistol frames. I have built to customs on RIA guns and have very happy owners. RIA branch of Armscor that makes other frames and slides for some very big names in the industry, you would be surprised who !!!

Very good for the money.

Almost right Waktasz, Rock Island Armory has a high cap pistol that is similar to a Para framed gun, only better. It is called a 2011. Rock Island makes some very nice pistols for the money, just ask Mike Seeklander. The patent has ran out on the STI frames , which has opened the door for some very good pistol frames. I have built to customs on RIA guns and have very happy owners. RIA branch of Armscor that makes other frames and slides for some very big names in the industry, you would be surprised who !!!

Very good for the money.

Well...who?

I don't want to imply anything...but the people I have heard of shooting Armscor stuff are doing it because they are on the payroll. Maybe they are more popular than I know of...but I've never seen one in person.

Edited by waktasz

a 2011 is basically a double stack (aka hi-capacity) 1911 type firearm (single action only, grip safety etc), with a full length dust cover, no stirrup cuts etc. very square, wide looking 1911 basically.

google some pics of "STI 2011" or "STI Edge" and then google some pics of "1911 A1" and you'll soon see the differences and the similarities. :)

Well we know that Armscor makes STI's Spartan line of pistols.

But yes, the 2011 was STI's modular framed high cap evolution of the 1911. The patten was shared between STI and SVI until recently when it expired opening the door to others such as CK Arms and Pheonix Trinity.

As I understand it. Para started making hi cap 1911. Out of steel so the grip was noticably larger. Virgil Tripp and sandy strayer made one out of polymer and it had same size as normal 1911. They formed STI. Stayer left to form SVI. And later Tripp left to form Tripp research. Tripp and strayer shared the patent. That is all I knoe

• 6 years later...

2011 was the model designation of STI's original two-part frame, which was essentially a steel 1911 upper section and detachable polymer grip designed for double stack magazines .  It's now used generically to refer to frames of the same design, including those with metal grips.

It _IS_ the Strayer / Tripp design.  Which became TRI->STI->Stacatto and SVI->Infinity (and maybe a SV in there somewhere too I think) with a brief early detour through "CMC" all on a shared patent for a modular pistol frame (separate grip module and rail section-- thus different from Para), which expired several years ago.  At one time STI trademarked "2011" for use on pistols but I believe the generic word mark is dead now.

https://patents.google.com/patent/US5293708A

Check out the Cited-by... pretty much a whos-who of the gun business there all filing their patents on their slightly different polymer guns..