Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What do you consider acceptable accuracy?

Longshot83

Just curious what people consider acceptable accuracy from handgun reloads (group size and distance) for USPSA, multigun, and IDPA type matches? Do you try and ring everything you can get out of a load or do you call it good enough at a certain point? I am just starting to reload for use in competition and am trying to maximize my time. Thanks.

Edited by Longshot83

PF is essential. Accuracy is a luxury, that can wait until you have more time.

Once you get your bullets flying downrange at the optimum velocity, even 4" groups

at 25 yards isn't bad for action shooting.

But, more accurate is better - when you have time, you should try to make your

loads more like 2.5" at 25 yards, if you can - depends on the gun - bullets make

a big difference . :cheers:

I am shooting minor loads with a 180gr with a fast burning powder (N320). It's easy to make minor for IDPA, but I am wondering is it better to push the bullets a little faster for better accuracy. I've been using plated bullets in a Glock 23 with pretty good success, but I am going to try out some Bayou bullets and see if there is an accuracy difference.

What are your thoughts on this? Will pushing to 800-850FPS tighten up the groups are make them spread out (I'm running a comfortable 750FPS now - similar to Atlanta Arms minor loads)?

Is plated or coated better for accuracy given the same velocity?

Edited by kodemonkey

So how much is this limited by the pistol with entry level Production pistols like M&P, Glock, CZ...? I'm about to get an M&P Pro and curious just what it's capable of for when I start reloading for it.

I'll be able to give you some insight after this weekend. I'm picking up my M&P Pro .40 on Saturday and will be doing load testing with it on Sunday. I'll be using 180g Bayou bullets and e3 for powder. I'll be working up a minor load for production division.

I keep working the load until I feel like I'm bumping up against my own skill and the mechanical accuracy of the gun. That's partly due to the mild OCD loading brings out in me :blush: But the net group size we throw at our targets is very much a cumulative effect. Ideally you're shooting a very accurate gun and load so you can choose to give up a little accuracy by shooting on the move. If your gun/load is a bit of a weak link, then options like shooting on the move are less available to you.

That being said, my accuracy expectations are the same as High Power Jack and tk4 mentioned. Although I tend to test accuracy at 25' rather than 25 yards.

My personal accuracy requirement is A zone/ -0 zone hits at 25 yards. After that the gun is more accurate that I am. Every now and then I can get a long distance head box shot.

Since I mostly shoot IDPA so a soft impulse load meeting PF is what I go after. My load is pretty accurate too with Dawson Adjustable Sights.

Accuracy is a relative term, no? What exactly are you checking the accuracy of: the gun? the shooter? the load? How do you differentiate between the three (or more) variables?

Unless one uses a mechanical devise to control the gun, the trigger and so forth can you really determine the accuracy of a particular load?

I have bad days, good days and on rare occasions great days. One day I might hold a 4", 25 yard group and the next time out am lucky to get 10 shots to land in the lower a zone.

G35 with stock sights here. If I can keep a 4" group or smaller at 20yrds, I'm happy. The local IDPA matches where I live rarely have any targets further away than 50 feet. - That I've seen anyway.

IMHO, accuracy is FIRST. I used to chase the "meet the low PF" game but if you can't hit the "A", "-0" at 25 yards who cares?

"mikes" and "FTN's" WILL kill your score so low recoil means NOTHING.

Working on your grip is a better way to control recoil than chasing the low PF load that many (me too) have gone after. Sure, you can load a "bunny fart" loads that groups really good and maybe have to change the springs to get the gun to run right, Add in that you "have" to use Federal primers to get that round to fire with the lighter striker / hammer springs.

Yes, it's fun to beat your buddies at club match's but then you'll go ahead and sweat bullets if and when you have to chrono at a big match.

All my ammo test are at 25 yards and fine tune later.

I've run M&P's for a little while and in 40 Pro I like 165gr FMJ over 3.7 gr Clays for minor and 200gr over 4.6 Universal for major.

These are my "pet loads" and work in "MY" gun.

To maximize your time dry fire and look here: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=191429

Like some have said == Get your power factor THEN

Go to the bench and get a real good rest and a very clear (for your eye) target and set it up at 25 yds.

I use a know load to establish a standard then fire 2 to 5 groups of ten or 8 if 1911 45acp at look at the groups

I want them to be in the end of a coke can. or at worst 4"'s

relative accuracy starts with gun and load combo from a solid rest.

Again if the gun doesn't run on your load or met power factor accuracy is a moot point

Confidence comes when you know your gun load combo are accurate. Then you work on yourself to stop the misses / delta (-3) shots

IMHO, accuracy is FIRST. I used to chase the "meet the low PF" game but if you can't hit the "A", "-0" at 25 yards who cares?

Working on your grip is a better way to control recoil than chasing the low PF load that many (me too) have gone after. Sure, you can load a "bunny fart" loads that groups really good and maybe have to change the springs to get the gun to run right, Add in that you "have" to use Federal primers to get that round to fire with the lighter striker / hammer springs.

Yes, it's fun to beat your buddies at club match's but then you'll go ahead and sweat bullets if and when you have to chrono at a big match.

I've run M&P's for a little while and in 40 Pro I like 165gr FMJ over 3.7 gr Clays for minor and 200gr over 4.6 Universal for major.

To maximize your time dry fire and look here: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=191429

Curious what kind of accuracy you were getting out of the M&P .40 with your loads at 25 yards. I'm also big on the importance of accuracy and I've been throwing around the idea of a M&P 40pro to shoot production with minor loads or limited with major. I've read a lot about the pro 9mm accuracy issues but not much about the .40.

Curious what kind of accuracy you were getting out of the M&P .40 with your loads at 25 yards. I'm also big on the importance of accuracy and I've been throwing around the idea of a M&P 40pro to shoot production with minor loads or limited with major. I've read a lot about the pro 9mm accuracy issues but not much about the .40.

This is off hand at 25 yards over a chrono.

The gun had been set up with my 40 to 9 conversion barrel and has loosely zeroed in using other 40 cal ammo.

I'm sure I could have better groups if I adjusted it in and was warmed up a bit.

Out a better shooters hands I'm sure things would have greatly improved also. :)

photo1_zpsadc1c7db.jpg

photo2_zpsecaa7e12.jpg

Edited by LikesToShoot

I test gun and load accuracy from a pistol rest. My limited pistol can shoot 5 shot 1" groups at 25yards on demand.

I think this is the minimum people should accept of their loads...

It's not that hard to achive.

And is achievable with most factory ammunition...

I'm ammesed at what litle interest shooters have In any kind of measurable accuracy...