Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

14+1 in 40 S&W enough for Limited?

TerryYu

Obviously you're not in a state that restricts mag capacity. That said, Limited is a tough division to compete in and five rounds can be a huge advantage. It not only gives you the option to clear certain stages with a single mag, but also gives you more opportunities to reload during transitions where your time won't be affected. Do they not make extended base plates for your CZ to increase the capacity of your mags?

Since arrays are typically 8s or 6s it would be best if you could get to a minimum of 16+1 ( 17 or 18+1 would obviously be better). I would be shocked if you couldn't get an extended base pad of somekind. You'd only need 1 or 2.

Having said that... in answer to your question, yes, I don't see any reason you couldn't get to A with what you have if put in the time and the rounds.

CALL DAWSON !

See what he has in base pads. Per above +2 would help.

I shot Limited with a STI Eagle, holds 20 with Dawson Pads and springs. I only load 19 because the mags don't wanna lock in proper with more.

I think that Gunsmith that builds CZ sells pads, springs and followers.

Have FUN,

Perry

I'd like to start trying Limited-Major but my gun (CZ 75) will only hold 15 rounds of 40. How limited would I be with only 15 rounds, would I be able to make A with just 15 or should I try Limited-10 instead?

Reaching A class is one thing, being competitive in A class is another. Your limited round capacity could hold you back, in the latter.

I'd like to try Limited-Major but my gun holds 15 rounds of 40. should I try Limited-10 instead?

The problem with L-10 is that you'll be shooting alone - okay, if it's a BIG club, you might

have 2-3 other L-10's.

If you shoot Limited, you'll be shooting against 10-20 people (some will be Ltd Minor - some

Super Seniors - D's, C's, B's, A's and even a M or 2).

Lot more fun to compete against a field of diverse people than 1-2 people.

Try Ltd, you'll have a LOT of fun - and become a Better Shooter in the process.

I used to shoot Ltd Minor, with a BHP (13 shots) - yeah, it's not enough cartridges,

but it was a lot of fun. Until I went to OPEN :devil:

Decide after you try it - you'll enjoy every minute of it. :cheers:

Edited by Hi-Power Jack

I found that with 14 rounds in the mags with the +2 basepads, the mags started to bulge just enough to make them more difficult to insert, so I could realistically only reload to 13 rd mags consistently.

I also found that a 75b loaded to major is harder for me to shoot quickly and accurately than a 1911 (more muzzle flip), so I use my 75b (loaded to minor) for production class and the 1911 for L10 or singlestack.

It makes no difference if only a few people are shooting L10, at local matches I would be looking at the overall anyway, and comparing myself to other shooters I know in every division.

I have only been in one USPSA meet, but what I noticed was that some of the best reloading times, such as when moving from one bank of targets to the next, would have been after I had expended 16-18 rounds. 15 rounders had me reloading in some less than opportune times, so I'd have to reload before I got done with one bank, then had nothing to do while moving. I'm sure it didn't hold me back due to me being a crappy shooter but it's still something I noticed.

At least once every match you will run a field course that will force you to either do 3 reloads or a standing reload. It depends on who you are competing with or what your goals are but it is gonna hit you every few stages.

• 2 weeks later...

Making A is all about shooting classifiers which is essentially 6 reload 6. Mag capacity is a non issue. Every other stage at the match is a different story. Bottom line is that anything other than 20 rds of major is going to put you at a perceived disadvantage.

Our individual response to that perceived disadvantage dictates our next move. Some guys are cool with it and are able to recognize that the biggest gains early on in this game come from trigger time and just shooting matches combined with a fairly structured dry fire program. Others need to feel that their equipment is up to par and the only thing holding them back is skill.

Do what makes you happy amigo.

• 2 weeks later...

Sometimes it wont be a big deal. Sometimes it will be less convenient but you come up with a way to work around it. Then every once in a blue moon you have a 17 round stage that doesn't require but a few steps left or right to see the whole thing... that's when you'll really want the extra capacity.

I say shoot it and have fun. You will quickly know if it's for you and will make the decision easier to buy mag extensions or upgrade your shooting platform. If not, then easy decision to do limited 10.

+1

Just run what you have and have fun doing it. I think too many people get caught up in an equipment race and convince themselve they need this or that widget to make themselves faster. If it were me I would run L-10 because I don't care how many other people I shoot against as long as I am improving it doesn't matter. To answer the question of can you make A with only 15 rounds, if you have the skills you can and the same answer goes for being competitive. You may have less room to make mistakes in Limited with only 15 rounds but regardless of how many rounds you have a miss costs time.

i started shooting limited with a MP40 5" and 15rd mags. Shot it for almost a year, and made B with it. these days I use a 2011 with 20rd mags. looking back, the only real disadvantage with the 15 rd mags was that on some stages i had to make a reload that was not needed with the 2011.

If work hard you can cut the reload disadvantage quite a bit. pick it up in transitions, and movement.