Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

929 the answer

AzShooter

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I had unlimited fun money, I would. Sadly such is not the case. So I'm gonna keep shooting my carmonized 627 super because it's set up so well and the 929, even setup, may not offer me any more than the super. But, I have been hitting up all my non wheel shooting buddies to get one and come enjoy with us. Now if S&W will put it on the California DOJ approved list...

When the 627's in 38 Super came out a few years ago, I said NO! because I did not want to spend that kind of cash for something that I could only shoot a few times a year. Now that the 8 shot rule has gone into effect, I want a 929 just to try it out and see if it will make a difference in my scores. Plus there is the cool factor.

I'm too commited to .38 Short Colt / 627-5 to make a change now

Short colts in hearthcos is exactly what i have planned for the 929. I am betting that will be the ticket.. You heard it here first....

floppy 9mm's will be good..... I am still staking claim that the short colts will reign supreme in the 929

Short colts in hearthcos is exactly what i have planned for the 929. I am betting that will be the ticket.. You heard it here first....

floppy 9mm's will be good..... I am still staking claim that the short colts will reign supreme in the 929

Short Colt in a 9mm chamber will make the 38s bulge way out at the bottom. Not good for the brass. The 9mm is tapered, bigger at the bottom.

Short Colt in a 9mm chamber will make the 38s bulge way out at the bottom. Not good for the brass. The 9mm is tapered, bigger at the bottom.

The 9x19mm base difference is only 0.010-0.012 inch in diameter bigger than Short Colt. Let the Short Colt bulge the first time you shoot them and then use a 9mm sizing die to reload them. Sort of fire formed to your chambers, making them in to essentially 9mm Federal.

How does the thickness of a 9mm rim and its moonclip compare to a 38 Short colt rim and its moonclip for head space?

I see little to no issue bulging the brass once. Once fired and re-sized using a 9mm die, I believe you will have a rimmed 9mm that are race proven in the current clips. If the 9mm Hearthcos clips are anything like my 38 Super clips, Ill pass. Nothing to date for me ever loaded faster than my Short Colts in a Super cylinder.

We all already know, that there is no current substitute better than Hearthcos supporting Starline 38 Special/Long/Short grooved brass.

The 9x19mm base difference is only 0.010-0.012 inch in diameter bigger than Short Colt. Let the Short Colt bulge the first time you shoot them and then use a 9mm sizing die to reload them. Sort of fire formed to your chambers, making them in to essentially 9mm Federal.

Exactly!

I'm happy with my 627 V-Comps and Short Colt/Heathco. So, at first I thought while it's cool, but I"ll pass.

Then something happened, I went from not wanting one, to "I'll get one and throw it in the safe. So, I ordered one. Now, I need two. This is all Ty's fault, so I'm sure I'll shoot whatever he tells me to in it! :roflol:

I'm happy with my 627 V-Comps and Short Colt/Heathco. So, at first I thought while it's cool, but I"ll pass.

Then something happened, I went from not wanting one, to "I'll get one and throw it in the safe. So, I ordered one. Now, I need two. This is all Ty's fault, so I'm sure I'll shoot whatever he tells me to in it! :roflol:

That boy is a bad influence on your credit card. You are old enought to know better. That's what momma would say. :roflol:

I don't remember where I saw it but someone said "If you know how many guns you have, you don't have enough". Works for me. :cheers:

The reason that all of the existing super clips are sloppy is that the guns were designed to utilize .035 thick moons. This goes back to the original run of Banger's guns. i have made .042 clips for a few folks shooting supers who have modified their guns to use them and they absolutly LOVE them. I just sent samples to Apex and Randy modified his older 627 super with a small removal of material on the F B bushing and he said they work great. The .042 clips hold 9mm like my starline clips hold short colt.

The big problem was that most shooters were unwilling to mod the guns to use the thicker clips. Im hoping that the uspsa revo shoters will be a little more experimental.

Edited by hearthco

I got the .042's. It just takes cutting the yoke where the cylinder spins, if needed to allow more space, then recut the forcing cone, if needed to get the correct tolerances. It seems to help on consistent reloads. But I could be fooling myself. I could possible just that good....Yea Right :-)

The reason that all of the existing super clips are sloppy is that the guns were designed to utilize .035 thick moons. This goes back to the original run of Banger's guns. i have made .042 clips for a few folks shooting supers who have modified their guns to use them and they absolutly LOVE them. I just sent samples to Apex and Randy modified his older 627 super with a small removal of material on the F B bushing and he said they work great. The .042 clips hold 9mm like my starline clips hold short colt.

The big problem was that most shooters were unwilling to mod the guns to use the thicker clips. Im hoping that the uspsa revo shoters will be a little more experimental.

This is exciting info. I have discussed my woes at great lengths with Tom at TK to no better option than what I had. I also handed you some of his moons cut to your specs (sans carbon steel) at the IRC. Still unaware of this mod. (where have I been)

This is the first I am hearing about this ".042 option". Definitely would have tried this before abandoning the super gun for a special gun last season. I loved my 38super loads so much I am still trying to duplicate it with .900 length special brass.

Ugh!

Why would you not just take .007" off the cylinder face/extractor to accomodate the .007" thicker moonclips? Same proceedure you'd use when cutting a non-moonclip cylinder/extractor for moonclips, just a lesser cut.

Edited by Tom E

All of those options (Tom R, Bubber, and Randy L methods) will work just fine.

Ty, the only reason that I ever experiminted with .042 material was customers asked for clips to hold Starline Supercomp. Talk about sloppy. No rim at all to stabilize the carts.

I would have loved to have been asked by Smith for my opinion. I think that they still believe "the one size fits all solution" is the better choice.

Quite frankly, I doubt Smith even knows Hearthco even exists.

Does anyone know the thickness of the clips S&W is supplying with the gun? According to TK Customs website the clips he's selling are Hearthco designed and the ones Smith is providing with the guns. Info HERE

TK stamps his 929 clips from .035 carbon steel. The design of the actual clip came from me. The choice of thickness was probably made by Smith.

I am another new revo shooter who bought all the gear last summer, got to shoot a couple or three matches with my 625, and now I'm watching closely to decide if I need to start saving pennies for a 929. I have to admit I'm a little dismayed that my platform MAY have been relegated to obsolescence.

Anyone know if the 929 moons will fit the same posts as the 625 moons? I would think that since they are both N frames, they would. But I've been known to be wrong before.