Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

929 the answer

AzShooter

For me, personally, the 929 is a solution looking for a problem. I'm happy with the accuracy of the .38 Short Colt load I've developed for my 627 for USPSA, and there's the option of using the 627 with .38 Special loads for other games (e.g., wadcutters for bullseye, PPC), or with .357 Magnum for deer hunting in the fall.

Perhaps I would have a different view of this if I owned a 9mm, or reloaded 9mm, or wasn't already set up to reload the .38/.357.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me, personally, the 929 is a solution looking for a problem. I'm happy with the accuracy of the .38 Short Colt load I've developed for my 627 for USPSA, and there's the option of using the 627 with .38 Special loads for other games (e.g., wadcutters for bullseye, PPC), or with .357 Magnum for deer hunting in the fall.

Perhaps I would have a different view of this if I owned a 9mm, or reloaded 9mm, or wasn't already set up to reload the .38/.357.

If I could have been able to avoid buying anything 38/357 I would have since I loaded 9, 40 and 45 from the start and adding another caliber was annoying to me and almost stopped me from buying my 8-shot. I did though and I have enjoyed it quite a bit but I use 9mm bullets and a mix between my 38 super and 9mm dies (which I already owned) to load it up and I cut the brass to 38 super length to use the same powder drop and I just use the same powder as for my 9mm loads. I was planning on converting it to a 9mm cylinder eventually and possibly even getting another barrel for it. But since a 9mm factory smith is coming out I can just buy one of those and just use the 327 for plinking and steel challenge and maybe for beginners to revolver since it's a really easy revo to shoot being light and the load being powder puffed for steel. So as far as I'm concerned the 929 is the answer to a problem for non-traditional revolver shooters that want to get into shooting revolver but not wanting to buy a ton of additional loading equipment and another set of bullets and possibly different powder for it as well. All in all, I'm a fan of the 929 move on s&w's part and if it wasn't clear before this I will be buying one as soon as one becomes available to me.

I think the biggest advantage the 929 is going to have is much more robust mooonclips. We are stuck with 0.020-0.025 inch thick moonclips for our 627s. The 929 will use 0.035 thick moonclips like the 625. This alone is enough to make me want one.

I think the biggest advantage the 929 is going to have is much more robust mooonclips. We are stuck with 0.020-0.025 inch thick moonclips for our 627s. The 929 will use 0.035 thick moonclips like the 625. This alone is enough to make me want one.

You may be looking at a .042 thick moonclips. My current .042 works with the extractor groove, my .035 not so much. Now if 929 is the answer, What was the question?

You may be looking at a .042 thick moonclips. My current .042 works with the extractor groove, my .035 not so much. Now if 929 is the answer, What was the question?

0.042 thick moonclips would be even tougher. The RO could probable stomp all over those without bending them.

The question is: What eight-shot revolver should I buy if I want tough moonclips and chambered for cheap and available brass that is shorter than its ejector stroke?

So, JM9x23 is the only reported owner of a 929?... Nobody else got one?..... I'd think TGO would have one by now???...I'm WAY down on the list if they choose to go by "ability" anyhow....