Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

929 the answer

AzShooter

I am another new revo shooter who bought all the gear last summer, got to shoot a couple or three matches with my 625, and now I'm watching closely to decide if I need to start saving pennies for a 929. I have to admit I'm a little dismayed that my platform MAY have been relegated to obsolescence.

Anyone know if the 929 moons will fit the same posts as the 625 moons? I would think that since they are both N frames, they would. But I've been known to be wrong before.

Not totally sure about the 929 moons but I use the same Norther Mountain Moonclip holder with both my 625 and 627. The post are a bit short with stacking two 38 Specials moonclips (but works well enough) but perfect with 38 Short Colt (which is basically the same length as 9x19)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am another new revo shooter who bought all the gear last summer, got to shoot a couple or three matches with my 625, and now I'm watching closely to decide if I need to start saving pennies for a 929. I have to admit I'm a little dismayed that my platform MAY have been relegated to obsolescence.

Anyone know if the 929 moons will fit the same posts as the 625 moons? I would think that since they are both N frames, they would. But I've been known to be wrong before.

The center hole in my super clip is approx .050 larger that the clearance in my 625 clip. Cant speak to the other guys stuff. Dave

If I had unlimited fun money, I would. Sadly such is not the case. So I'm gonna keep shooting my carmonized 627 super because it's set up so well and the 929, even setup, may not offer me any more than the super. But, I have been hitting up all my non wheel shooting buddies to get one and come enjoy with us. Now if S&W will put it on the California DOJ approved list...

You just need to remove the double action sear. It meets all the size requirements for a single action only revolver that would be exempt from the DOJ roster under current law. Your FFL should allow you to do it on the shop counter. If not head over to Calguns and find a a hip FFL. Similar transaction to a single shot exemption for the semi's.

Take care

Kevin

It's been well over a month (maybe 2?) since the whole 929 thingy appeared, and then disappeared. Anyone have any new info? It's interesting to see movies of the actual gun, and actually see it being shot, and there still isn't any out there for the common man.

AND the answer is????...... Smith & Wesson being a benevolent corporation, realizes that too many video's and actual 929 sales will cause "male want-a-have" syndrome. This can be fatal and cause many divorces as well as other un-named illnesses. So, for a while they are hiding all "929's" in the dark shadowy places unknown to mortal man...... As O'bama says, "trust me".....I know this is true cause I read it on the internet.....

I've counted more Elvis, Sasquatch, and UFO sightings in the last week than this thing. Does it really exist? Will we see crop circles in the shape of an 8-shot cylinder before it's available? What prophesies must we see fulfilled for it to appear?

I held one in my hand at the s&w booth at the Outdoor show in Harrisburg, a couple weeks back. Felt very nice and I thought the trigger was pretty sweet.

Did you happen to ask someone when they will start shipping...?

I'm too commited to .38 Short Colt / 627-5 to make a change now

Short colts in hearthcos is exactly what i have planned for the 929. I am betting that will be the ticket.. You heard it here first....

floppy 9mm's will be good..... I am still staking claim that the short colts will reign supreme in the 929

It pretty much ruined the brass in one shot when I tried .38 sc in my .38 super.. It is the weakest brass with the thinnest web of anything I have tried. Someone needs to try cutting onto a .38 special and .357 case and see if they are stronger/thicker. If so, cut them to whatever length you can and try those.....

I'm too commited to .38 Short Colt / 627-5 to make a change now

Short colts in hearthcos is exactly what i have planned for the 929. I am betting that will be the ticket.. You heard it here first....

floppy 9mm's will be good..... I am still staking claim that the short colts will reign supreme in the 929

It pretty much ruined the brass in one shot when I tried .38 sc in my .38 super.. It is the weakest brass with the thinnest web of anything I have tried. Someone needs to try cutting onto a .38 special and .357 case and see if they are stronger/thicker. If so, cut them to whatever length you can and try those.....

When I went at this "cutting them down" thing, I grabbed a bunch of brass from our local range. A little Winchester, more than a few Federals, and a few more Remy's.

The Winchester's won't fit on a thick moon - .025.

When you shove a 158 Berry's down in a Remy, you hit a ridge just before you get where you want to be, and hard bulge the case.

The Federals are juuuuuust right. The case thickness seems to be the same all the way down.

I also tried to cut down a few Federal 357's. NOT The case thickness is a couple thou over the special case, disasterville.

I'm just a beginner at this, but I have 9 lbs of 310.

I've counted more Elvis, Sasquatch, and UFO sightings in the last week than this thing. Does it really exist? Will we see crop circles in the shape of an 8-shot cylinder before it's available? What prophesies must we see fulfilled for it to appear?

No sign of any in Colorado.

I was under the impression that Starlines .38special, Long and Short Colt brass all had identical bases. The only difference was the cut length and head stamp. It will be a fun experiment once my 929 arrives. I shot 1000's of Short Colts in my 8 shot super cylinder with no failures. Shooting in a 9mm chambered cylinder may turn out to be a total failure. Only time will tell. My short colt brass has been gaining dust for the last 2 years, so no loss if it all crumbles.

My only worry is that Dave wont be able to produce clips fast enough to keep us all in moons. :surprise:

I was under the impression that Starlines .38special, Long and Short Colt brass all had identical bases. The only difference was the cut length and head stamp. It will be a fun experiment once my 929 arrives. I shot 1000's of Short Colts in my 8 shot super cylinder with no failures. Shooting in a 9mm chambered cylinder may turn out to be a total failure. Only time will tell. My short colt brass has been gaining dust for the last 2 years, so no loss if it all crumbles.

My only worry is that Dave wont be able to produce clips fast enough to keep us all in moons. :surprise:

Dont worry Ty. Ill start makn moons when smith starts shippn guns.

I received my 929 last week and sent it to Dave Olhasso to do some trigger work. He just completed my 986. What I'll have to try when I get it back is the short colt thing. I shoot the short colts in the 627V-comp. I also have to pick up some moons for it since the cheap bastards at smith graciously gave me ONE clip with the 929. I should have the gun back this week.

Edited by jm9x23

There were rumor of someone shooting one at Alabama state match but I never was able to see for sure. They were a few squads ahead of me shooting on friday. The ro's said someone was shooting a 8 shot 9mm. I thought i caught a glimpse of it on someone hip and the profile and barrel lenght matched as there was a muzzle cover like a comp had been replaced.

I received my 929 last week and sent it to Dave Olhasso to do some trigger work. He just completed my 986. What I'll have to try when I get it back is the short colt thing. I shoot the short colts in the 627V-comp. I also have to pick up some moons for it since the cheap bastards at smith graciously gave me ONE clip with the 929. I should have the gun back this week.

Dave Olhasso does trigger work? Does he have an FFL?

Yeah, if he's receiving handguns from people out of state, he sure does.

I'm not trying to stick my nose in Dave's business, by the way. This is more of a reaction to the whole topic of people who do gunsmithing work without an FFL, without proper insurance, etc.

I think Dave must have an FFL, since he works on Berettas.