Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

55gr accuracy thru 1:7 vs 1:8

gotigers

I did a quick search.

I am wanting a new barrel for my 3 gun AR. I am a club match shooter, I don't travel, but I would still like the best equipment I can afford. I want to try a good light weight barrel. The one I really want is the Wilson Combat 16" LW 1:8. They are sold out. Midwayusa has the same barrel in 1:7. To keep my cost down I shoot a lot of bulk 55gr in 3 gun out to 300 yards. We shoot about 75 rounds each match of just rifle.

I am sure the 1:7 is a great barrel. I imagine it would easily hit the 12" plates at 300, but after running and all the 3 gun stuff, I want as much error out of my equipment as I can get.

I have both and shoot both and I understand what the range of bullet weights (bullet lengths) are for both twists. I don’t want to talk about how heavy a bullet they can shoot. Nor do I want to talk about bullet stabilization. We have talked about the range of weights and bullet stabilization for these twists ad nauseam.

What do you think about a Wilson Combat 16" LW 1:7 for 3 gun shooting? I am fine with waiting, but if there is not much difference, I will grab the 1:7. I know with bullets 62gr and heavier both will be great, until it gets over 77gr. Then the 1:7 will shine. I doubt I will shoot much over 69 grain in these matches. So the 1:8 seems like the better choice.

Any accuracy loss from shooting a 55gr through a 1-7 will be because of using cheaper bullets to save money. If you go for top quality I doubt you will see any difference in accuracy. I shot 55 FMJ though a White Oak 1-8 and had zero issues with bullets hitting targets at 300 yards.

Agreed. I have seen no accuracy difference between QUALITY 1-7 and 1-8 twist barrels and 55s. Shoot 50gr Varmint Grenades thru a 1-7 though, and half of the bullets don't make it past 25 yards. Just a trail of gray smoke and fragments on the target board. Something about 370,000 rpm (3600ft/sec x 60sec/min x 12in/ft divided by 7in/ turn=370,285 !!!) , and .005 jackets just don't stay together! Drop that velocity to 3100 with a 55, and rpm is ONLY 318,857.

I did a quick search.

I am wanting a new barrel for my 3 gun AR. I am a club match shooter, I don't travel, but I would still like the best equipment I can afford. I want to try a good light weight barrel. The one I really want is the Wilson Combat 16" LW 1:8. They are sold out. Midwayusa has the same barrel in 1:7. To keep my cost down I shoot a lot of bulk 55gr in 3 gun out to 300 yards. We shoot about 75 rounds each match of just rifle.

I am sure the 1:7 is a great barrel. I imagine it would easily hit the 12" plates at 300, but after running and all the 3 gun stuff, I want as much error out of my equipment as I can get.

I have both and shoot both and I understand what the range of bullet weights (bullet lengths) are for both twists. I don’t want to talk about how heavy a bullet they can shoot. Nor do I want to talk about bullet stabilization. We have talked about the range of weights and bullet stabilization for these twists ad nauseam.

What do you think about a Wilson Combat 16" LW 1:7 for 3 gun shooting? I am fine with waiting, but if there is not much difference, I will grab the 1:7. I know with bullets 62gr and heavier both will be great, until it gets over 77gr. Then the 1:7 will shine. I doubt I will shoot much over 69 grain in these matches. So the 1:8 seems like the better choice.

You're not going to notice much between 1:8 and 1:7 with bulk 55 gr FMJ. More importantly, it will be 'the' barrel you ended up receiving combined with your 55 gr load that will either shine or sux. My preference is 1:9 but haven't noticed any differences with 55 gr blitzking 3100 fps in 1:7 or 1:8, again, it is the barrel/loads combination so there is really no way to compare the twist rate in the same barrel.

Edited by PacMan

Why would you be shooting a 55g bullet for accuracy in the first place?

Use a better heavier bullet for anything past 200yds and who cares how the 55g shoots as long as it goes bang.

I care because it saves me money to have a good accurate cheap FMJ load that I can use for 95% of the stages. Up here we seldom shoot past 300 yards and most of the time we are shooting at 100 yards or less but we shoot at small targets like MGM auto poppers a lot which makes having a 2moa or better FMJ load very nice. I hate wasting the money for match bullets on those targets but some of the crappier ball bullets is not 100% at hitting these targets. With Hornady 55 grain FMJ's in my Nordic or JP barrels can hit these all day long at 100 yards with my ball load. Back when I was mostly shooting my Noveske it did not shoot FMJ's that well and I had to use more expensive bullets on any stage that had auto poppers and it was more expensive.

Pat

My 18" 1/7 can't shoot shelf 55gr 5.56 rounds accurately. I can produce extremely tight groups when reloading with Hornady 55gr fmj bullets, however.

Same here. I load my 55gr with 25gr of h335 and it accurate enough for me but the off the shelf stuff shoots up to 2'' groups at 100 yards out of my 18'' wilson barrel.

My experience is that it depends on the ammunition. Some of the cheaper factory 55g ammo is not that accurate in my 1/7's but higher quality 55g shoots well. If you handload then you should be able to find an accurate 55g load for your rifle.

• 1 month later...

My 18" 1/7 can't shoot shelf 55gr 5.56 rounds accurately. I can produce extremely tight groups when reloading with Hornady 55gr fmj bullets, however.

Same here. I load my 55gr with 25gr of h335 and it accurate enough for me but the off the shelf stuff shoots up to 2'' groups at 100 yards out of my 18'' wilson barrel.

ditto (also experienced this with a wilson barrel too)

I would really like to find a barrel that shoots cheap factory stuff really well

Edited by polymerfeelsweirdman

I would really like to find a barrel that shoots cheap factory stuff really well

Bullet quality is the key to accuracy, not a magic barrel. Cheap ammo is cheap for a reason.

Bullet quality is the key to accuracy, not a magic barrel. Cheap ammo is cheap for a reason.

I just see people claim that they get MOA or better accuracy with the same cheap ammo and I am not sure whether or not to believe them

When people claim it on here I am more inclined to believe them

I just see people claim that they get MOA or better accuracy with the same cheap ammo and I am not sure whether or not to believe them

When people claim it on here I am more inclined to believe them

Well, depends if it's cheap ammo or cheap bullets. I sorted some headstamps on my reloads with 55gr bulk Hornady bullets for fun and shot a 1 9/16" group at 200y. That was funny.

Either way, there's no penalty for OVERstabilizing a bullet as long as the jacket is beefy enough, which the majority of .224 55gr bullets will be. Theoretically 1 in 7 is pointlessly fast unless you're shooting M856 tracers but it doesn't really make any practical difference. Rock the 1 in 7, or wait for the 1 in 8, I doubt you'll be able to tell the difference.

I have a 1/8 Rainier and a 1/8 White Oak and use 55gr XM193 mostly for 3-gun. I have 1/7 barrels also. For me 1/8 is the best option for the 55gr bullets and it shoots 63 and 69 well too. I don't use 75 or 77 grain for 3-gun so the faster twist doesn't really matter to me.

This is THE Truth! It all depends on THE barrel that happens to be screwed on the receiver! It doesn't matter the twist, there is no generality! It all depends on what the barrel likes and they are all different!! There is no magic combo or what works for others!!! EACH BARREL IS DIFFERENT!!! Your query can NOT be answered.