Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

being the tech support b*tch for everyone in my extended family

jaredr

apparently if a device involves electricity in any form or fashion, from set top boxes to laptops/tablets to garage door openers, it's my f-cking problem. if the cable box displays a message that says "call your cable company for service at 1-800-bla-bah" i'm the only person who can make that call because no else speaks tech-support-ese (it's actually hindi, urdu, or occasionally malay). for god's sake people, sort your own problems out every now and then.

/rant off/

Tell them you need to do some research regarding their problem and then never call them back. If they call you back, tell them you have been up to your ass in gators and will look into it when you have a bit of free time... which, of course, never comes.

Pat

Yep. I work in IT. For some reason everybody thinks I should work on their crap for free...friends, relatives, etc. Drives me nuts. I usually just ignore the emails. Apparently I work in a profession where I should give everybody free help and advice. If I was a plumber or carpenter would you still expect me to work for free? It especially drives me crazy when the answer they are looking for is just a quick Google search away or in the f*cking manual that is sitting on their desk.

Yep. I work in IT. For some reason everybody thinks I should work on their crap for free...friends, relatives, etc. Drives me nuts. I usually just ignore the emails. Apparently I work in a profession where I should give everybody free help and advice. If I was a plumber or carpenter would you still expect me to work for free? It especially drives me crazy when the answer they are looking for is just a quick Google search away or in the f*cking manual that is sitting on their desk.

it's the same in any specialized profession. I'm a electrician and an EMT and I get phone calls all the time.

"I'm hooking up a ______________ in my house and it smokes and the breaker trips when I turn it on, the black wire is the ground, right?"

Or even better is at a party: "Bob said you were an EMT, check out this rash on my....................."

You should check out this website then. http://lmgtfy.com/. I feel all of your pain, I just went downstairs to plug in a monitor. The cable didn't just fall out on it's own now did it? lol

Feel your pain too, I fix machines (including computers), get asked to fix many different things... (IT dept doesn't work on Control system computers...)

I get to do both! I'm a server admin for our SCADA department. And when I worked offshore doing automation programming, every operator assumes you are also there to fix their computer. Yes I can do it, no that's not what you're paying me for lol

I-D-10-T circuit. Use it on work orders all the time. For a time, just to see if any one cared, we would claim a "hydroconueter valve" went bad. Had to order one, naturally. 2 years..yes 2 years...went by. Someone from Washington suggested we should stock them. Even offered to help set up a NSN #. I sh*t you not.

So I tell people to check their "hydroconueter valve" all the time.

I-D-10-T circuit. Use it on work orders all the time. For a time, just to see if any one cared, we would claim a "hydroconueter valve" went bad. Had to order one, naturally. 2 years..yes 2 years...went by. Someone from Washington suggested we should stock them. Even offered to help set up a NSN #. I sh*t you not.

So I tell people to check their "hydroconueter valve" all the time.

I also like "chair-keyboard interface problem", most people still don't get it.