Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to choose a coated bullet?

JLeeCZ

I just got my first vote in at the range and soon as I close the deal I will be out there with a chrono testing out the Blue Bullet loads I have. With Donnie's we need to get together and place a large order on the 147s and save some on shipping.

Sounds good to me.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have loaded around 2000 40's from BBI. I like them, and they perform great. Accurate, clean and priced right. And like many of the others, the owner (Chandler) shoots IDPA occasionally at the club I shoot at. He is local to me also, and a great guy. I used to shoot USPSA, then got into IDPA because that's what's here. He have me some pointers and tips a few times. I try to support those with great customer service. I just ordered 1000 9's and 40's. BBI has switched coatings. Their video online shows the smoke difference. Really looking forward to shooting these.

*Edited to correct coating information.

Edited by Schulzie

I can give a little perspective on this. as an aussie shooter we have had the coated bullets for many, many years. probably 90% of IPSC shooters use a bullet coated with the hi-tech supercoat from one of the casters around Aus that uses it. hardly anyone uses FMJ or CMJ here. the most popular coating that was specifically designed as a bullet coating was developed by a coating manufacturer here in Sydney. he sells that coating to a number of commercial bullet casters here around the country. it's a very good coating, shoots clean, accurate and if anything I find them a little easier to load than copper CMJ's. even better is for a given weight and powder charge they shoot 'faster' than copper so if you have a pet load for say a 135CMJ that makes 130pf you can lower the powder charge by about 5-10% (please test with chrono) and still make the same velocity and same PF. so you save 10% on powder costs which is a nice bonus. :)

I know donnie/bayou use the Hi-Tech SuperCoat which is the aussie made coating and I'm aware that a number of other commercial casters in the US now use it too. it comes in basically any colour the caster requests so colour is not always a tip off as to which type of coating they are using. if applied correctly it should have a nice slick, almost glossy finish. it should be hard as buggery and not leave any residue on your hands when loading. if the finish is rough, or flaky, or dull and comes off then either they haven't applied or baked it correctly, or they are using a coating that's not suitable for bullets.

other loading tips.

use enough case bell/flare so that you're not shaving off the coating (same as you would for a CMJ).

you don't need to use bullet lube with these. unfortunately many moulds that casters have have lube groves in them. if you can encourage them to fill those up. more bearing surface is a good thing and the groves are redundant with a coating like this. a number of casters here in aus now offer the popular projectiles (like 135gn RN) with no lube groove.
a light crimp is needed, possibly a little more than you'd use on a CMJ but not too much. if you get tumbling adjust crimp. it's often the culprit.

enjoy. :) they are a great alternative to CMJ's.

I can give a little perspective on this. as an aussie shooter we have had the coated bullets for many, many years. probably 90% of IPSC shooters use a bullet coated with the hi-tech supercoat from one of the casters around Aus that uses it. hardly anyone uses FMJ or CMJ here. the most popular coating that was specifically designed as a bullet coating was developed by a coating manufacturer here in Sydney. he sells that coating to a number of commercial bullet casters here around the country. it's a very good coating, shoots clean, accurate and if anything I find them a little easier to load than copper CMJ's. even better is for a given weight and powder charge they shoot 'faster' than copper so if you have a pet load for say a 135CMJ that makes 130pf you can lower the powder charge by about 5-10% (please test with chrono) and still make the same velocity and same PF. so you save 10% on powder costs which is a nice bonus. :)

I know donnie/bayou use the Hi-Tech SuperCoat which is the aussie made coating and I'm aware that a number of other commercial casters in the US now use it too. it comes in basically any colour the caster requests so colour is not always a tip off as to which type of coating they are using. if applied correctly it should have a nice slick, almost glossy finish. it should be hard as buggery and not leave any residue on your hands when loading. if the finish is rough, or flaky, or dull and comes off then either they haven't applied or baked it correctly, or they are using a coating that's not suitable for bullets.

other loading tips.

use enough case bell/flare so that you're not shaving off the coating (same as you would for a CMJ).

you don't need to use bullet lube with these. unfortunately many moulds that casters have have lube groves in them. if you can encourage them to fill those up. more bearing surface is a good thing and the groves are redundant with a coating like this. a number of casters here in aus now offer the popular projectiles (like 135gn RN) with no lube groove.

a light crimp is needed, possibly a little more than you'd use on a CMJ but not too much. if you get tumbling adjust crimp. it's often the culprit.

enjoy. :) they are a great alternative to CMJ's.

Very interesting and informative. Thank you.

Are these bullets you all speak of better than the moly coated Bear Creek Bullets?

"loads" better..... See what I did there..

But yes the hi tech coating is alot better than moly. Moly still smokes, not as bad as lead but still smokes, is dirty to handle. The coating is much better, much cleaner to handle and very little smoke. Actually less smoke than a jacketed bullet with and exposed lead bottom.

Cheaper than plated bullets, better accuracy then plated as well.

Edited by JakeMartens

Just had 2 backorders show up from Prec Delta so now I have 9mm bullets out the ying yang. May go ahead and order my caliber conversion and dies from Brian and start .45 loading, getting some coated 230 grain samples to try. Just got billed on a backorder I had placed for powder so also have 16 lbs of 700X on the way that I wanted for .45. Really wasn't expecting it this soon. Credit card bill going be a little bigger this month. Might end up flipping a coin on whose bullet samples to try. The quality seems to be equal and prices are close enough. Guess it depends on which company you want to do business with and maybe bullet color preference, if that matters to anyone.

Edited by XDMer

any of the companies using the hi-tech supercoat should (providing they coat and bake it correctly) should be a great projectile to use. as someone above mentioned the hi-tech supercoat stuff doesn't smoke, is very slipery and doesn't lead or leave coating behind. it's super hard and super thin. some of the moly coatings I've seen did have a bit of smoke but the supercoat is good stuff.

If you're not sure ask the caster if they use the aussie made hi-tech supercoat? I'm sure they'll tell you. it's not an expensive process for a caster to get into. and produces a very nice product. I know there's now a few casters in the US using this coating.

As I said above the best bet is you'll save about 10% on powder to make the same power factor you were making with FMJ or CMJ rounds on top of the cheaper (usually) projectiles. :)

the gold/copper colour coating also has increased heat reflection properties over the regular colours. doesn't look quite as pleasing as a CMJ but it looks ok. :)

Edited by BeerBaron

• 2 weeks later...

I was looking for a light weight bullet (90 - 95 grain), and was following this thread with interest. Here is my experience with SNS.

After looking around some I thought I'd try the SNS 95 grain .380 bullet. I have to say it was hard to choose as several companies offer a good looking coated bullet for a fair price. Got 1k of the 95 grainers...and yep, they are packed extremely well. They even fill the void in the box with carpet underlayment padding to protect the bullets. Nice touch.

Worked up a load for my steel gun, and sighted in the gun at 17-18 yards. After sighting in the gun I shot three 3-shot groups under 1 inch with the group in the attached photo being the best. I didn't get a chance to try 40-50 yards accuracy yet.

.38 super

WW452AA powder (discontinued, but WST is similar)

1.165" OAL

tula SPP

running at about 1220fps/116pf

Soft shooting, accurate and quick. Works for me!

If they group at the 40 yard range I'm going to order some more of these and use them in my steel load. :cheers:

post-9934-0-74065300-1391895384_thumb.jp

Edited by Bamboo

• 3 weeks later...

^^^Just to follow up on this.

Got a chance to group the SNS 95 grainers at 40 yards and they grouped OK. Off sandbags I was getting 4" groups on average with no signs of tumbling. For me that is good enough for steel challenge stuff. :cheers:

Just ordered 125gr coated 9mm from SNS. They are their new design, no bands or lube groove. Guess I am in now. Only ordered 500 to work up. If they perform, as I am sure they will, I'll get 1500 more for shipping costs economy.

The Blue Bullets are now stocking groovless 230 grn. .45 ACP bullets, I just received my first order.

Good to know. Let us know how they work out for you. They are sponsoring the South Carolina Sectional Match.

They are all great companies. Hope to see more molds available without the grooves and bands. Haven't loaded any yet but seems that would make things easier. Does any of the coating come off on the dies when handloading?

Ive been shooting the 125gr round nose from Blue Bullets. I chose them initially because of their contingency program. Now having shot a few thousand I can say that I really do like them. I am always happen to let people shoot some at a match or whatever. As others have said, also super nice to deal with via phone or email.

The only negative I've had is that sometimes the plactic bags get popped open in shipping and I open a usps cardboard box to 775 loose bullets.