Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can my finger be fixed?

Sandbagger123

About 20 years ago i broke my trigger finger. after it healed i did not notice much that it had healed at an angle when it its bent because i was not into shooting as much as i am now.

lots of guns i shoot,shoot left. could be a lot or a little. i suspect that this is due to my finger no longer moving straight back, but at angle. i am feeling it hurts my shooting.

i know i should see a speciallist for this, but i thought i would throw this out to get some input.

So can this problem be fixed by breaking it again, and setting it at a different angle? kinda like people that get a broken nose, and fix it by breaking it again.

I know this sounds crazy, but if it can be done, i really might consider it.

If it's possible I would try different trigger lengths first. Then again, many guns don't give you that option. Maybe some creative bandaging/wrapping of the finger before you shoot could change the pressure point enough to make a difference.

I would experiment a lot before re breaking my finger. How old are you? I'm only mid 50's and I would be afraid to break something at my age for fear of how it would heal, or not.

You might try shooting with the trigger in the 1st joint on the bone. You might need to adjust your grips or shoot a shorter trigger (1911). Many of the old PPC revolver shooters would thin down and round off the trigger almost like a rod. The smaller trigger contact surface in the joint gives less right and left trigger finger influence. The smaller contact surface can also be uncomfortable in long dry fire sessions.

Edited by toothguy

What kind of pistol are you shooting? I would think based on the pictures that a shorter trigger travel (1911, 2011, M&P with Apex FSS Kit, etc.) could help you as the pistol would be pushed less by the angle of your finger.

Edited by johnhhuber

Honestly your fingers don't look crooked. Maybe it's just that I'm comparing them to mine, but they don't look crooked at all to me. I've never broken my trigger finger, and it won't touch the palm when I curl it in, lefty will but not my dominant right. My hands are not even close to symmetrical either.

I say practice to get rid of pushing shots to the left.

Of course I'm sure you've got a ball peen hammer somewhere right? Call that plan 'B'. Youchy!!

I have duputryn's syndrom in both hands now and I can barely grip a gun at all. I would trade in a blink.

IMHO, you could easily correct for this (if it is the cause) by adjusting grip pressure or rotation on the grip to change finger position with respect to the trigger. Make sure your thumbs are off the gun and you are gripping only with fingers. Also, make sure the right trigger fingere base knuckle is off the gun.

You could also try shooting left handed and see if groups improve.

I put short triggers in my 1911's because my hand's messed up (have a 4 inch "Y" shaped scar on the wrist from an accident ). At 62 there's little chance they could do much but cause more damage. At least I can still use it. If you have no pain I'm sure you can learn to grip the gun and shoot it.

Try to readjust your grip to see if that can help with not pulling shots.

Like Bounty said Dupuytren's is much much worse for shooting.

And there are master level shooter's with that disease.

Where there is a will usually there is a way.

Good lucking figuring it out.

Edited by LilBunniFuFu

• 3 weeks later...

Don't forget that only that last little bit of trigger movement is really important so focus on that. Usually pulling to the left for a right handed shooter is caused by "hinging" or rotating from the knuckle at the base of your finger, you can be pressing the trigger from hinging the middle joint but then right at the end just as the pistol fires snatch the trigger left. Some people can press from the last joint but most can only do that with a rifle.

A few thoughts. Practice your trigger pull doing dry fire drills. Concentrate on making the trigger move directly to the rear. The second thought is to see a physical therapist and get some stretching and strengthening drills from them. Easily when you broke your finger and in the healing process some muscles got weak and others over compensated. Also some tendons might need to be stretched a certain way to allow your finger to work correctly.