Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Debating Dot mount and dot for Glock

G17

I was planning on putting an SJC Sideways mount with Cmore slideride on my Glock 17 for open. I backed out on that idea because honestly i just don't like the way it looks and i know it's going to bother me being off balance even a tiny bit. The next option was a standard SJC Cmore mount with Cmore slide ride but i don't want to have to deal with sending my slide off to get the ejection port lowered. So where i stand now is i'm thinking about getting SJC's micro-dot mount and using one of the smaller sights (CmoreSTS,burris FF2, Deltapoint, Doctor, Trijicon). SJC says it's not necessary to lower the ejection point with the micro mount so that's a selling point for me. I initially wanted a slide ride for the bigger window but i think i might be OK with one of the smaller dot's. Do you think i'll notice a huge difference between the two?

Has anyone used the micro-dot mount and what dot did you use? Any problems you ran into or advice you can give? I guess also i'm trying to decide what dot to get for it. They're all about the same price except the Trijicon. Which red dot do you like the best? Also, what moa is recommended?

I'v been going back in forth in my head about what mount and what dot i want for the gun for way too long. I just need to pick something and order it. I figured i would see if i could get any feedback from you guys first. Thanks!

I use the sjc 90 degree. The big window of the slide ride is a huge advantage and the balance of the gun is pretty good. I've used a doctor 7 moa in the past and the cmore is just absolutely 100 times better with an 8 moa.

I would sent the slide off and get it cut as it's not a big issue. I would send the whole thing to carver and let him install the sjc mount lower the port and add a thumb rest.

Hello there Lexington....me too...I think I know who you are from the user name. Just one of those grains of sands that popped into my mind.

I agree with you 100%. I got an RM02 Trijicon (6.5 MOA). It is machined into a Glock slide and includes suppressor sights. Another place to get that done is L&M Precision Gunworks in Prescott. Mine actually came from One Source Tactical in Prescott and I'm betting it was made by the guy at L&M while he worked there.

Machining the optic into place allows it to be low enough to use suppressor iron sights also. The dot can be slow to reacquire without the iron sights for guidance on these slide mounted optics. I believe the setup I have with a machined slide and suppressor sights is the way to go for rapid target and dot reacquisition.

So anyway, I agree with EKUJustice. Get it done right and you will not regret it later. By the way this optic is great. I love the ability to fire without lining up a bunch of things and actually hit the intended target...which seems more difficult for me than it should be.

Just ordered SJC sideways mount and cmore slide ride. I wasn't thrilled about the sideways mount but i feel confident that i want the slide ride so we'll see how it goes.

Just ordered SJC sideways mount and cmore slide ride. I wasn't thrilled about the sideways mount but i feel confident that i want the slide ride so we'll see how it goes.

It's a good choice. Once you get over having to drill the holes in the frame you'll notice the difference. It is also nices because no lowering of the ejection port is needed and since the optic isn't mounted to the slide it will last much longer.

the added weight of the offset mount is really not that bad. the weight still feels centered when you hold it. I was concerned that it would feel like it wanted to tilt the side of the mount but didn't at all once I installed it.

Edited by maxpower

Just finished up my G 35 open gun project, and I went with an SJC mount and a Burris Fastfire 8 MOA. Sighted it in this morning. Gunsmith related installing this was a major pain, so I'm glad I didn't do it. Still wound up having to shim the sight a bit. Ran 150 rds thru it, and held zero. Now, I just have to find the best load for the comp.

post-51354-0-10519800-1389555518_thumb.j

post-51354-0-67776200-1389555566_thumb.j

Edited by gmetty

That sight on KC's gun looks a lot bigger in that picture versus just watching that video now. I wouldn't be opposed to trying it if it wasn't 1000+ bucks..

Edited by G17

Just finished up my G 35 open gun project, and I went with an SJC mount and a Burris Fastfire 8 MOA. Sighted it in this morning. Gunsmith related installing this was a major pain, so I'm glad I didn't do it. Still wound up having to shim the sight a bit. Ran 150 rds thru it, and held zero. Now, I just have to find the best load for the comp.

What kind of comp is that? The KKM one?

That sight on KC's gun looks a lot bigger in that picture versus just watching that video now. I wouldn't be opposed to trying it if it wasn't 1000+ bucks..

that thing is as big as the poor gun

kcopen_zpsf373dcf9.jpg

KC shot a Trijicon SRS at the Open Nats FWIW

Is that mount available to the public or is it a custom piece for KC?

Zev just announced this past week at shot show that the mount will be available to the public.