Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Question on bi-metal ammo

RAZZ

I'm running a local 3-gun match, and a shooter posed a question to me I was hoping you all could help me with. In my match announcement, I stated to everyone that penetrator, AP etc ammo was prohibited--basically if the bullet attracts a magnet, leave it at home. I had one shooter ask about the bi-metal bullets commonly used in AK type ammo, as he stated it does not use a steel core--simply a mixture of soft steel in the jacket. I don't shoot Soviet ammo, so I'm not too familiar with bi-metal ammo. Can I make an exception for this stuff, or is it still a no-go? Steel will be MGMs shot at no less than 85 yards. I don't want to exclude anyone, but I also don't want there to be any possibility that someone starts shooting holes in my steel.

Thanks!

Magnet test. If a magnet will pick it up by the point then no go. The bi-metal bullet is a steel jackt that is copper washed. While it might not go through an mgm target at distance it will dimple the target and cause early replacements of your targets.

I have shot a bunch of steel jacket/bi-metal ammo (Wolf .223) at my MGM targets. They don't have holes in them. In dry areas, it is a fire concern from a sparking standpoint. I believe that most match directors just say "If it attracts a magnet, it is a no no" because it is easy to enforce. Saying bi metal jackets are ok but steel core is not takes more effort to enforce, thus slowing things down and if steel core gets through, it could ricochet and hurt someone as well as damaging the targets. Just my opinion.

Hurley

Bimetal 308 will make swiss cheese outa ar500. Bimetal AK rounds will dimple it. Bimetal 223 will at least dimple, may make holes, depending on the distance and velocity. 223 penetrators go right thru. Nothing with steel projectiles is allowed at RM3G.

jj

I know the Greek .30-06 ball attracts a magnet, but it was allowed at TX MG in 2012. They used ferrier's clippers to cut through a bullet to make sure they weren't steel core.

You'd have to ask the MD if they messed up any of the targets. He goes by General Chang on here.

Well I have taken a different approach at the local matches I run at OKC Gun Club ( 20-40 shooters per match). For the last 2 years I have specifically allowed Bi-Metal anything. I allow M855 ball ammo ( yes the ones with the little steel penetrator) pretty much anything except AP....which is darn hard to find by the way...for anything, and usually cost around $3-5 per round! Our MGM flash targets and Mini poppers ( used from 100-300 yards) have survived 2 full years of use without any holes, deep divits, cracks or anything! The same for the "C" zones I cut out of AR-500 plate, although they didn't get as much use as the flashers. None are "Swiss Cheesed", "dimpled or holed", and no .223 penetrator "went right through". My feeling is that if your AR-500 plates and flashers are getting the kind of abuse listed above, your steel supplier has been misrepresenting his product and it ISN'T AR-500! Or your range finder for set up is A.F.U.ed!!!

BTW for the OKC shooters, Mike and Wil might be doing one in February...not sure about that yet, but we will pick up our regular match schedule in MARCH...so there WILL be a March 34-gun at OKC!

Edited by kurtm

Well I have taken a different approach at the local matches I run at OKC Gun Club ( 20-40 shooters per match). For the last 2 years I have specifically allowed Bi-Metal anything. I allow M855 ball ammo ( yes the ones with the little steel penetrator) pretty much anything except AP....which is darn hard to find by the way...for anything, and usually cost around $3-5 per round! Our MGM flash targets and Mini poppers ( used from 100-300 yards) have survived 2 full years of use without any holes, deep divits, cracks or anything! The same for the "C" zones I cut out of AR-500 plate, although they didn't get as much use as the flashers. None are "Swiss Cheesed", "dimpled or holed", and no .223 penetrator "went right through". My feeling is that if your AR-500 plates and flashers are getting the kind of abuse listed above, your steel supplier has been misrepresenting his product and it ISN'T AR-500! Or your range finder for set up is A.F.U.ed!!!

BTW for the OKC shooters, Mike and Wil might be doing one in February...not sure about that yet, but we will pick up our regular match schedule in MARCH...so there WILL be a March 34-gun at OKC!

Not everyone is using quality steel, particularly at local matches. Heck, some stuff that's used locally, is just some real thick mild steel.

Not sure of the extact brand but I had an MGM auto popper dimpled with the shape of a bullet side ways from a bi metal hollow point. Think it was Tula or Wolf. When you are paying for the targets yourself out of pocket for the most part you want your stuff to last.

Pat

EXACTLY, my experience. The Bi metal is ALL I shoot at my targets. Worst thing I see is Sparks at night. B)

I shoot my personal targets with anything I can find. No holes or dimples in the true AR 500 stuff. I do have a few that are banged up pretty bad that I know were not AR500. Part of the issue is in the cutting process. All my MGM targets and c zones I have do not show much wear on them. I shoot all calibers at them from 100yds and further. My main ammo for last few months has been Wolf gr jhp. Saving the XM193 for majors.

At the last Ft. Benning match, we shot Larues at 25-30 yards with a M249 SAW. Each person got 16 rounds of M855. For sure, not all 16 of each competitors rounds impacted a target, but there were plenty of hits (there were three targets, all you had to do was knock one of them down and shoot the gun dry). At the end of the match, I went and looked at the targets, they were no holes in them, no craters, only slight dimples. I was amazed that they took that many hits and looked as good as they did.

I am only passing this along in the spirit of all target steel not being created equal, I am not saying that we should start shooting steel up close with steel core.

Hurley

Get MGM steel and let we rip tater chip. My MGM B/C zone has had its ass kicked with wolf .308 and .223 and they only thing the take it out was when a tree fell on it and broke the 2"x4" that holds it up.

It was my MGM auto poppers where the bi metal bullets left the weird shaped craters.

Pat