It happened,....S&W 929 8 Shot 9mm Revolver

alecmc

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ordered 2 from my go to local FFL... was around $1060 OTD for me (that's w/ tax)

Now how did I know you would be at the front of line for these???

LOL .. good shooting w/ you today dude!!!

Same here as always even if I could have shot the match faster with one of these. LOL

Anybody here ever shot commercial 9mm in a revolver? (I have not.) If so, how was extraction? I would not be surprised to see sticky extraction from a revolver with a 9mm factory load, given the typical pressure in a commercial 9mm load.

Anybody here ever shot commercial 9mm in a revolver? (I have not.) If so, how was extraction? I would not be surprised to see sticky extraction from a revolver with a 9mm factory load, given the typical pressure in a commercial 9mm load.

I have a Ruger SP101 in 9mm and I have had sticky extraction with factory ammo. I haven't shot it a lot so I don't know if some ammo brands are better or worse than others.

9mm or not the Ti cylinders do hurt extraction due to the porous surface of titanium. The case pressure of 9mm (similar with short colt) cases will tend to stick easily. In my experience with short colts and Ti cylinders is that once carbon and other materials impregnate the surface, any previous extraction usually issue subsides. YMMV.

I have a Ruger SP101 in 9mm and I have had sticky extraction with factory ammo. I haven't shot it a lot so I don't know if some ammo brands are better or worse than others.

9mm or not the Ti cylinders do hurt extraction due to the porous surface of titanium. The case pressure of 9mm (similar with short colt) cases will tend to stick easily. In my experience with short colts and Ti cylinders is that once carbon and other materials impregnate the surface, any previous extraction usually issue subsides. YMMV.

Johnmac, if it means anything I shot factory 9mm out of my 6 and 8 shot 38 supers with no hitch on extractions..

I suspect if 9mm factory ammo proves a bit sticky on extraction, someone will be able to come up with an optimum "competition" load for this 9mm revolver, with low pressure for easy extraction. I'd start with OAL on the long side (for lower pressure) and a heavy bullet, something like the venerable/obsolete 38 S&W (aka Colt New Police) load, which could make "minor PF", at very low pressure. However, I don't know if such a load would necessarily chamber in a 9mm semiauto pistol, or cycle the pistol, if it did chamber.

Edited by johnmac

In my mind, creating an optimal competition 9mm load for this gun will defeat its primary purpose. The 929 won't do anything better than a 627, other than work viably with factory ammo (we hope).

Now a 9mm 8-shot that will run and shoot well with WWB and similar promotional ammo--now we have something new and meaningful!

If I have to handload for it, what's the point?

In my mind, creating an optimal competition 9mm load for this gun will defeat its primary purpose.

My thoughts too. The idea of going to Walmart to get 9mm to shoot in a 929 is not a selling point for me. I am spoiled on having a nice light trigger which means I'm going to shoot handloaded ammunition with well seated Federal primers.

How many people have a 6lb or less trigger on their revolver and shoot factory ammo as it comes out of the box? And have it fire 100%?

S&W finally is showing some business sense. Seems they haven't had a real innovative revolver creation since increasing the 6 rd 617 to 10 rds, or the 627/327 8 rd. A gun that fits the time, where revolver competition seems to be making its return and when you can buy off the shelf factory center fire ammunition cheaper and more readily available than rimfire! So, if I didn't reload, or been shooting for 40+ years and have only .38 revolvers and .45 in the house, I might be the owner of a production class pistol in 9mm. Wow, imagine, I've been watching these awesome revolver shooters, who have the best demeanor, crazy fun and minimal malfunctions on the course and I don't need to buy a reloading setup, accessories, materials, space, and a competition model gun no less. Now, I can, go to Walmart in just about any city were a match is and buy the cheapest 9mm ammo and I don't have to worry about the slide not functioning. Yes, if I didn't reload, I'm all in.

Yes, this is indeed a wise and timely business move by S&W.

Now, with the rule change by the leading handgun competition organization, it's a good time to buy, regardless. Buy one, take it to the match, shoot it, bring it as a backup, whatever. But now when the other shooters wishing they could try revolver, go ahead, whip it out and let them feed it with their own 9mm Winchester WB,Tula, Federal, CCI or S&B and welcome them to the "Round world" with open arms.

There will no doubt be fine tuning opportunities on this model, so even the peripheries of the industries will benefit more with its introduction. Just think of all the barrel length reductions needed to get a 5" barrel.

I've shot target 9mm out of my super with no extraction problem of case expansion, defensive or hotter loads I did have problems with. I can only surmise, a chamber cut for the round shouldn't have the sticky expansion case problem.

Giddy'up

BTW, those who have expressed why they won't buy one seems to be centered around those who already have an 8 rd gun or have reloading setup. I hope the shooters doing research can see that and not be discouraged in any way from making the jump.

S&W, you can send my commissions direct.

Edited by lora

now the question is do I need a spare?

Thought I'd chime in, since I'm at work and don't feel like working! :D

At first I didn't think I needed on of these, as I'm happy with my V-comps and Short Colts. Then my buddy Ty orders 3, I start thinking I guess I should get one, if for no other reason just to have it. So, I have Ty order me one. The other day he confirmed the dealer ordered me one and some more extras so I can have two if I want. Now, I'm thinking that one might not be enough!?!? How did I get here? I think Ty is a bad influence! :unsure:

This what I was thinking. I am well set up with a 627 and a 327. I reload for 38 special. I want one as a back up to a back up and just to have one!

I plan on shooting nothing but reloads in this...but that is just me.

I have 3 on order with my LGS, They were at a show last week and ordered 12 his distributor said the number of orders that come from SHOT will set the first run numbers. He told me his distributor said we will get the first 3 in March/April even though the MFG claims in the catalog ...Fall release. Who knows if that is hoopla or not.???

In the mean time my first attempt at a pet load for this gun will be loading short colts with .356 147gn plated round nose bullets with either N310 or S1000.

Why Short colts vs 9mm you wonder?

1) Nothing I have ever loaded (including a 625) has loaded faster than short colts in a .38super cylinder.

2) The opening of the 9mm cylinder will act as if it came from the factory reamed and chamfered and oversized for short colts. (once form fired I would resize with 9mm.)

3) Nothing keeps cartridges aligned on an concentric axis better than hearthco moon clips in starline brass.

4) no floppy 9mm taper grooved brass in thin clips for me.

5) I already own thousands of Short Colts I use for nothing else.

6) It may be magical I suspect.

If that doesn't work I will try my awesome .38 super load adjusted to shortcolts.

130gn Montana Gold with International Clays (gassy but super accurate)

or

170gn mollys loaded with TG. (should be illegal cause it is so awesome...but its not.....:) )

I suspect I may have to try some Bayou's or similar If I have to. I like big bullets going slow for limited and there are many to choose from. 1/10 twist may not like my big bullet with small amount of fast powder logic, so I will remain open to lots of different options.

I plan on shooting nothing but reloads in this...but that is just me.

I have 3 on order with my LGS, They were at a show last week and ordered 12 his distributor said the number of orders that come from SHOT will set the first run numbers. He told me his distributor said we will get the first 3 in March/April even though the MFG claims in the catalog ...Fall release. Who knows if that is hoopla or not.???

In the mean time my first attempt at a pet load for this gun will be loading short colts with .356 147gn plated round nose bullets with either N310 or S1000.

Why Short colts vs 9mm you wonder?

1) Nothing I have ever loaded (including a 625) has loaded faster than short colts in a .38super cylinder.

2) The opening of the 9mm cylinder will act as if it came from the factory reamed and chamfered and oversized for short colts. (once form fired I would resize with 9mm.)

3) Nothing keeps cartridges aligned on an concentric axis better than hearthco moon clips in starline brass.

4) no floppy 9mm taper grooved brass in thin clips for me.

5) I already own thousands of Short Colts I use for nothing else.

6) It may be magical I suspect.

If that doesn't work I will try my awesome .38 super load adjusted to shortcolts.

130gn Montana Gold with International Clays (gassy but super accurate)

or

170gn mollys loaded with TG. (should be illegal cause it is so awesome...but its not..... :) )

I suspect I may have to try some Bayou's or similar If I have to. I like big bullets going slow for limited and there are many to choose from. 1/10 twist may not like my big bullet with small amount of fast powder logic, so I will remain open to lots of different options.

I can see the logic in it, only possible glitches I can imagine would be unexpected consequences from the "bulging" that is bound to occur near the case head, and rim thicknesses being close, but not exactly the same for 9mm and .38 Short Colt. Perhaps non-issues. Sounds like we've witnessed the conception of a new "wildcat" cartridge..."9mm TH" (?)..love it!

And as an added bonus, you might be able to run "9mm TH" without moon clips, for casual plinking and such. Or maybe not, maybe too much headspace without the moon clip,

If I recall correctly, there was a "9mm Federal", essentially a rimmed 9mm Parabellum, that was introduced some time ago, that would have provided some of the benefits of the "9mm TH".

Edited by johnmac

Yea baby! 9mmTH

Ill call Starline now and get the my spot right under 38TJ.....:)

In all seriousness..... The base bulge should not be an issue as long as I don't reset it to .38special base diameter. I spent months trying to get short colts to be compatible in both super and special cylinders consecutively. The super cylinder would bulge the base of the brass to a point that made it nigh impossible to return to special specs. It was possible with a couple of steps but proved to time consuming for me. My intention is to bulge it and leave it. Use it in 9mm cylinders only. Now If I can get my hands on an 8shot 9mm Ti cylinder I may just have a 627 dash-4 9mm as a backup. Wouldn't that be cool. :goof:

The 929 makes good sense for me... I shoot primarily 3-gun, with USPSA Revo as a new "side gig".

My 3-gun CZ SP-01 will shoot anything... I can work up a load for the 929 and it will work fine in the auto.

I also do end up shooting quite a bit of factory 9, as I can't seem to stop finding good deals on it. :ph34r:

I'm really glad I couldn't find a deal on a 627 last year.

The 929 makes good sense for me... I shoot primarily 3-gun, with USPSA Revo as a new "side gig".

My 3-gun CZ SP-01 will shoot anything... I can work up a load for the 929 and it will work fine in the auto.

I also do end up shooting quite a bit of factory 9, as I can't seem to stop finding good deals on it. :ph34r:

I'm really glad I couldn't find a deal on a 627 last year.

Cool! This is the beauty of the 929 concept--to attract shooters to Revo Division who are already shooting a 9mm in a different platform and can benefit from the ammo interchangability.

Last week after I placed a deposit on a 929 I also placed an order with TKC for moon clips, when I got home this afternoon they were in the mail box. (great service from Tom). Being excited and inquisitive I proceeded to load eight diferent brands of 9mm cases in the moon clips then measured them for lateral movement and stand off. Please remember this is not a scientific study just a quick inspection, the cases I tested were FC, RP, PMC, GFL, Herters, Win, WCC and Blazer. THE WCC, Herters and Win measured the least amount of lateral movement. I also measured the rim thickness (stand off) of each which varied from .042 to .049 (herters) moon clip thickness is .035. When I conmpared the total thickness with my 38SC in Hearthco clips the average thickness is very comparable. And yes I tried them in my 627 and the case diameter would not allow them to seat in the cylinder. Hopefulle some time in the next few months I wil be able to relate some first hand experience with loading and firing.

Edited by 357454