Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

It happened,....S&W 929 8 Shot 9mm Revolver

alecmc

If they could only squeeze that cylinder into an L frame, all would be right with the world. The Ti cylinder might make it okay, it's certainly a step in the right direction. Now how many are they going to produce?

Concerned about that too, I mean - when the 38 super 627s came out? what was the promotions like ? Did they come out and say it was a limited run, or did they just all of a sudden stop making them after xx amount ?

I'd be really interesting picking one up just cause of the cool factor, but i'll probably use the 627 im having built with a 6.5" barrel and ti cylinder and 38 short colts for USPSA minor, I enjoy using the 160 grain bullet - and I doubt squeezing that into a 9mm case would never happen.

The 38 Super 627's were a distributor exclusive...twice. I sold a good number of them. At the end of the run we couldn't give the last 40 or so units away from the second batch (the last units were exported to Australia). Hence, the line from S&W "if we can sell X number". Distributors take the risk of buying that X number. The risk/reward in special makeup firearms is one of the worst catch 22's in the firearms business. I did a special make up with an AR vendor in 2012 that was homerun (even before the 2012 election hyper market). We had another special make up AR in 2007 that was a loser until the 2008 hyper market blew the merchandise out the door.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What are the benefits of running a Ti cylinder? Lighter weight equals slightly light trigger pull? Would a Ti cylinder really make that much difference?

Titanium cylinders won't develop peening at the stop notches. That's the only real advantage.
and lightens the gun up weight wise
Which is not especially advantageous.

Would it be more advantageous in a gun shooting minor? Seems like weight might be helpful in .45. Does it really matter in a 9mm?

You're right, Chuck. I don't think it matters either way in an 8-minor gun.

Up in Alaska, one of the long time s&w distributors was dropped recently, haven't been able to get the skinny as to why yet, but if this is a dealer/distributor exclusive that would pretty much ruin my chances of getting one from the initial bunch.

I'm curious on the moonclip situation for these, who does s&w go through now for clips? Hopefully they'll have a good manufacturer lined up so people can get ahold of them quickly and easily and not have to pay 5+ dollars for one clip, that could kill the non specialty market for this product. I think a 9mm line of mooned Revos could be a real market player, Revos are great starter guns, 9mm is easy to find (at least its getting easier), mild recoil, less noise than some semi 9's, more weight and less snap means friendlier to beginners, and if the moons are somewhat easy to come by and can be loaded and unloaded by hand it will be a really great product all around.

Competition shooters can still get the higher end better fitting moons from TK/hearthco but they can also get some throw aways for plinking with friends (which is what I did for the 38 special). I'm thinking 2-3$ Range will make them roughly the same cost per 10 as a mid range magazine for a poly gun.

I think I may have too high of hopes for there being a full 9mm line of s&w revolvers. I can sure dream though.

Edited by Akkid17

I had this conversation with Jerry at a Bianchi Cup a couple of years ago. I told him that a lot of people wanted an 8 shot 9mm revo. He already knew that and had talked to Smith about making one several times. He said that they didn't listen to Jim Clark years ago and didn't listen to him too much now. I think it has been the collective wishing of many people over several years that got them to do it.

Sort of like wanting a 5" 625....... For years.....

Edited by snertley

Appear to be standard Performance Center production...

SMIT PC 986 9mm 5" S MFG # 178055

SMIT PC 929 9mm 6.5" S MFG # 170341

It looks like retail (msrp) on 986 will be around 1240.00 and the 929 1279.00. Can't wait to see them!

I like the looks of them but in reality they won't do anything any better than what I already own. Like Mike, I have a small fortune in Hearthco clips for my 38's in my 627 and I don't need to start all over with 9mm clips. If they don't come with a .355 barrel I'll never be interested.

I'm guessing that 986 5" will be a 6-shot model? Sort of like a 686, bummer, I need an 8-shot 5" model.

If it's an N Frame I have to do my "S&W forum old biddie" impersonation and ask....Why? What purpose would an N Frame 6 shot 9mm serve? Or L frame for that matter. I'm betting it will be a 5" version of the gun in the video.

I'm guessing that 986 5" will be a 6-shot model? Sort of like a 686, bummer, I need an 8-shot 5" model.

If it's an N Frame I have to do my "S&W forum old biddie" impersonation and ask....Why? What purpose would an N Frame 6 shot 9mm serve? Or L frame for that matter. I'm betting it will be a 5" version of the gun in the video.

I certainly hope so and hopefully it has the titanium cylinder as well, that would be perfect.

FWIW, Sportman's Depot has listings for both models

178055 - $1040.99 - http://www.sportsmans-depot.com/products/SW--SW-178055.html

170341 - $1072.99 - http://www.sportsmans-depot.com/products/SW--SW-170341.html

This site also has the new Glock 42 listed already so I don't know if they are legit or bogus. If they are legit I would have expected a greater price difference between the two models.