Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SV Infinity Steel grip worth the $$

Paul-the new guy

I was looking at the steel grip offered by SVI. I built one on their website and it is $850.00! :surprise: Is it worth it? I don't care for the PT grips (too fat) I like the feel of the STI aluminum grips, I have on on my 9mm 2011 but I am again hearing that they crack. I have tried every manner of plastic grip, stippled, painted, Brazos ultra grip, etc. Nothing feels as good as the IEE grip from SV but wow that is a lot of money. I have never seen one come up for sale in the classifieds on here so I am thinking people that get them love them??

Of course I am going to say yes, they are worth it but I will add some butter. The SV grips are the only metal grip option with different sizes, textures, logo cuts and trigger guards. They are also well tested in the field and have an extremely low cracking rate. If properly fit, we have not had a single unit crack in years. The STI's have had known cracking issues, don't know about the PT's but you have very limited options there. You get them in one size untextured in the STI and textured or not in the PT. I would suggest you feel the various SV models/textures and decide what you want. Also, not knocking the STI or PT but if you feel the quality of the SV's you will see a tremendous attention to detail. Worth it in my opinion to get what you want, not just what is offered.

Yeah, your comment about never seeing one up for sale in the classified is a clue...they are the best product available and the price reflects the quality of material, machining, heat treatment, and options.

Like DKATOS says, why drive a Kia when you can afford a BMW. There is a huge difference.

(No offense to Kia, STI or PT, just stating the facts.)

Lee

you can crack, ruin, burn, melt, destroy, customize, or lose about 10 plastic grips for the price of one SVI grip. Not saying they aren't worth it (if they were to me, I would have one) but that's a lot of coin for something pretty inconsequential to the game.

I do like my PT aliuminum grip. My only issue is the stippling, the fit is dead nuts great.

I do like the SV also, the SV mainly for the stippling and I does contour some. My only issue with the SV is the crazy amount.

But with the PT I can get my limited and open gun metal grips. nice.......

You might not see many for sale because most can't afford them in the first place! A friend of mine has an IMM Open gun with the steel grip. It shoots flat as hell but at about 10lbs it should!! :goof:

And as I like to joke, you could always frame a house with it in a pinch.

I have absolutely no experience with the PT grip and we've all read the horror stories of the STI grips cracking. I've been shooting the Steel Signature grips for a little over 5 years now and I absolutely love them. At first, (because I carried it on duty too) I was a little worried about the extra 8 ounces, but now I wouldn't want anything else. To me, the plastic grips just feel cheap now and I hate the way they sound when dry firing.

I've had zero issues with cracking on any of mine shooting thousands of rounds of 40 major.

I have had my PT for right at 6,000 rounds and have had ZERO issues with cracking or anything else. I am very pleased with the grip.. Im shooting 169 to 172 power factor Rainier Ballistics 165gr.HP bullets, tru a Cameron's 6".

Dustin I am contemplating buying a second and perhaps a 3rd. I am shooting the SV better than I have ever shot before but I don't know if it is the steel grip or the IMM length gun or the million hybrid holes... I don't want to fork out 850 for another grip and figure out it wasn't the grip that brought me to the next level...

Dustin I am contemplating buying a second and perhaps a 3rd. I am shooting the SV better than I have ever shot before but I don't know if it is the steel grip or the IMM length gun or the million hybrid holes... I don't want to fork out 850 for another grip and figure out it wasn't the grip that brought me to the next level...

Keen sense of the obvious here....It is the skull grip tape you have on the SV, duh.

I'd get some of that to try on your other guns first.

:P

(Seriously, you have been shooting well with the new gat.)

If you already have one, wouldn't the obvious be to try it on the gun you want it on?

Or am I reading you wrong?

I have only held one of them once and I liked it so much I bought it, unfortunately it had a gun attached that had to come with it ;)

Still have to wait a month or two.

I do like my PT aliuminum grip. My only issue is the stippling, the fit is dead nuts great.

I do like the SV also, the SV mainly for the stippling and I does contour some. My only issue with the SV is the crazy amount.

But with the PT I can get my limited and open gun metal grips. nice.......

a matt, just out of curiosity, what is your issue with the PT stippling?

I like it to almost cut the hand, the actual stippling looks and is great. I like more aggressive than most. The SV aggressive stippling is good, its like little spikes. It's just a ME thing. Lol I should have explained better. Thanks for asking.

If you already have one, wouldn't the obvious be to try it on the gun you want it on?

Or am I reading you wrong?

I have only held one of them once and I liked it so much I bought it, unfortunately it had a gun attached that had to come with it ;)

Still have to wait a month or two.

I have one, it is on a gun. I would like to try it on a different gun i.e. an STI I have no idea if it would be as easy as just swapping it. I may give that a try.

I like it to almost cut the hand, the actual stippling looks and is great. I like more aggressive than most. The SV aggressive stippling is good, its like little spikes. It's just a ME thing. Lol I should have explained better. Thanks for asking.

Roger that.

I tend to lean the other way. I dont need the grip to bite into my hand. For one thing, if it bites to hard, it is harder for me to get a consistent draw.

Also, my gorilla hands lock in between the beaver tail and magwell, and I sqeeze so hard that the SV agressive would literally eat my skin off.

Prefer weight in the gun to be low and to the rear. Was using a plastic STI grip and although it didn't crack, the metal pieces that the screws anchor into became worn and had to be replaced. The grip was used with the Dawson Precision ICE "Heavy Metal" magwell made of brass, to get the weight lowered.

The SV grip eliminated the need for the brass magwell. The texture is middle of the road, double undercut trigger and mobius cutout with the SV trigger bar, magazine release and magwell. Only thing was the DAA Race Master holster trigger insert had to be filed slightly to fit the wider trigger guard.

Very satisfied with the product.

BC

opengun2.jpg

Edited by BillChunn

i have a pt and the fit was d___ near perfect. I just knocked off any sharp edges and got it precisely lined up and "click". it was on. for grippiness though, when the weather changed this fall/winter in NC the grip got a little slick. now I am the kind of person to work on my equipment. so I studied the sv grip and out came the dremel. where the circles meet there is a thin spot and there is a pattern to the grip. so I got in line with the thin spots, 45^ angle, then 45^ angle the other way then vertical. I now have nice little triangles, I then took a triangular file ( rectangle too - changes the triangle edges) and filed through the new grooves. viola...it is a little rough on the hands but it is like the gun is welded to you. I did not do the front strap. that would be too much. this way I can still release the grip to do mag changes.

Edited by rc51g